Voice Activated NAV - Mic NOT working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L e-Torque
This been going for awhile now and nobody could give me the right answer WHY it stopped working.
I took my truck to the dealership to address some other issues (including this one) and they informed me it had to do with my Expired Uconnect membership (3 months ago), therefore it won't work.. Of course, I didnt buy it and started calling customer care and Uconnect folks. The latter gave me mixed messages so asked them if they could activate it for 1-2 hours and see if works or not? but they wanted me to pay first.. The dealership still thinking it's subscription issue and wont do anything to fix that, hmm..
Today, i called customer care (with existing ref. number they opened 2 weeks ago), and they appeared to take quick action right away, called around while waiting and got back with me with answer: This is a KNOWN feature (bug) FCA folks currently working on it !! there's no time frame for the fix so, at meantime use the Siri button on steering wheel.. I dont know about you guys, but i hate using Siri as it is not intelligent as the built in NAV mic.
I forgot to mention that at the same time (Last Feb) another dealership (in Florida) replaced my radio due to some known issues, so i could not really tell if the new replacement was fault radio or the Uconnect subscription that got expired on same period.
I wanted to share this experience with you and wonder if anybody on Forum ran into this issue.

firefighter897

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you ever figure this out? I have 2021 and my 1 year was up a couple months ago and just realized that I cannot use the voice command button as it is greyed out.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
You have bluetooth on the radio right? If you can make hands-free call, the it would rule out the mic hardware.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The microphone is in the rear view mirror
It works with hands free phone calls, the button for it is on your steering wheel, left side
Right next to it is the VR button

I use the VR button to use Navigation, make phone calls, etc.

The microphone is in the worst position possible, the mirror catches sound from the HVAC system, it is written in the owners manual to turn off the HVAC Fan & roll up the windows when using the microphone

regular Uconnect & bluetooth work together & for free

Now if you have Uconnect Advantage, Uconnect Access, Sirius XM Guardian, you pay a monthly fee to have them
The fee allows you to use Smart Phone APPS & to have WiFi Hotspot, 911 button & assistance button
They are now coming out with a new Uconnect, it will be Uconnect 5
I think the 2022 Rams have it
The Navigation will switch over to Tom Tom

Getting back to your voice commands & Navigation were paid for when you bought your Ram, you only would pay for a new map version & that has nothing to do with monthly fee based programs

Coupe427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My uncles guardian subscription just ended and is on a road trip. He called me tonight asking about the nav working offline and the mic not working. Even if you type an address it says searching offline. If you have to have the guardian subscription just to use the nav system, that’s pretty screwed up. Is this how it’s really set up?

When he called about renewal they never mentioned the nav system. Only the app, location and assistance services.

Gondul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
All NAV systems work on a subscription...and they are usually crap and out of day anyway.
However, AA and CarPlay are free and always up to date... and you can download maps/routes in case you hit an area with no signal.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Nav systems come with the Ram's cost, the only time you pay again is when you want an update & you pay $147 for each time that you think you need an updated map.
Usually when you update the map, they will tell you if your radio itself needs a free update

Last edited:
OP
OP
Elio

Elio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L e-Torque
Did you ever figure this out? I have 2021 and my 1 year was up a couple months ago and just realized that I cannot use the voice command button as it is greyed out.
Yes, I figured it out and I was not happy when the 'gray out Mic' had to be Enabled only when the Uconnect Subscription is RENEWED!! yes, $235 and it worked again. Unfortunately, no Mopar nor Uconnect support knew this was the reason, however, I got a call from Customer Care to renew it (and reimbursed later) and low n below, the MIC got turned on again.
Just to clear, this is not the Steering wheel 'Siri' button as this function solely work with your Cell Phone, and it's Sucks!!
sorry for rather late response, I wish I'd known when new PM or message arrives on this thread.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have to ask, maybe someone with a Tradesman & Express would know the answer.

On my last 2 Rams, 2009 & 2016, i have not paid for the Uconnect services, i only use the Hands Free Phone & the Navigation input using the mirror microphone, ie: call George or Find 100 Broadway, Noname State.

Are they now forcing everyone to pay for Uconnect Advantage or Sirius Guardian ?

Hell, i don't even have a Smart Phone
If i need a Hot Spot or WiFi, every coffee shop & motel has that & i have a Laptop

Karl Hendry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Normally it is a PITA to connect the phone to USB. On longer trips, I find Google to be much, MUCH better all the way around. Google's carplay has some querky things about it when it comes to playing music. Otherwise it is great. I suppose if you'll be in any areas with sketchy reception you might want to download the maps before a trip. That would be another downside. But even that is farily quick and easy. I love my Ram 1500. Almost as much as the Gran Prix I had in high school... almost. But the fancy entertainment/communication box is a weak link that is for sure.