WARNING: JBA Headers DO NOT fit 2500 truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This week I basically rendered my truck inoperable. I had been sitting on a set of JBA 1 7/8" longtube headers to install on my 2012 RAM 2500.

JBA Performance Exhaust Part #:6961SJT*Full length

These headers were advertised to fit my truck. In advanced preparation I cut out my old exhaust and got everything apart.

Went to install these headers and realized THEY WILL NOT fit a 2500 truck, despite JBA's claim that they would. The motor mount location is completely different and the #1 tube on the drivers side makes contact on the motor mount frame side and a bunch of other places. I'm waiting to see what JBA will do for me, but till then my truck is in pieces in the garage and inoperable since I sawed the factory mid-pipe off.....

Did my own investigation and sent JBA the technical information of what I did and how I'm sure these will not fit a 2500 truck....was told they were sending it to R&D, but I still don't see a change in description on their website, and I have been hearing others who have already informed them of the same problem with no action on their part thus far......Waiting to see what JBA will do for me for my trouble and will report back and tell the LONG version of this story.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow that's a load of horse ****...

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
my previous experience with JBA was about as rewarding. bought JBA headers for my 09 G8 GT 6.0. There's no confusing which model, it's the only trim with a 6.0 V8. So I go to install the headers. Go for a test run to get in a heat cycle. Can't seem to turn my steering wheel without t severe grinding. The driver side header rubs the steering shaft. Contact JBA, their response was this was a known problem, just take a hammer and dent the headers where the shaft hits. Haven't even looked at JBA headers since.

OP
OP
chargerrob1977
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There's even more to it than what I've posted so far....

The reason I was waiting on the installation of these headers was that I was waiting for the JBA mid pipe I ordered off Amazon. There's a part listed and price for it and everything: 6964SY 3" Stainless Steel Mid-Pipe for use with Dodge RAM 2500/3500 2 and 4wd 5.7L 6961S Long Tube Headers. This description further incorrectly implies that the 6961S header fits at all!

On a separate but related note, I found out after the fact that titanium coating (most expensive coating) although not mentioned in their marketing material, is not ideal for northern climates and wet winters. (found a thread here posted by a member in Edmonton, and followed up with JBA, who confirmed)....this too should be clear for a prospective buyer of products. The coating is porous and more susceptible to elements. In this application, the regular ceramic coated headers are more ideal.

Waited for about 2 months before I finally called JBA to ask when it would be available. Dustin at JBA informed me that they don't even exist because no one has given them a 2500 truck for a few weeks that they can R&D a mid-pipe for, but they needed a part # to put in their catalog so they listed one.

At the time, although a little annoyed that I had been waiting for nothing, I accepted this answer and was fine simply having my exhaust shop fab up some pipes..... But now in hindsight knowing that they never bothered to test fit the headers either, and then furthermore marketing them to fit 1500/2500/3500 trucks, compounded by the fact that I know from a reliable source that I'm NOT the first one to have these things not fit and bring it to their attention, well...lets just say I feel differently.

I sent them an email Monday and have yet to hear a response on whether they're going to try and do something for me. I am in Canada and had to go through the hassle and shipping expense/customs charges to get these imported and sent to me.....the idea of having to box them right back up, fill out a slew of paperwork and ship them right back to the US and then wait for something that fits, all the while with my truck apart in my garage is making me livid!! I'm not sure what I want, but I think a set of shorties at cost would be appropriate for what I would consider their negligence, and my trouble....

I feel it's important to also note that although I told them about this Monday, no one has yet made any effort to pull down references on the JBA site that still advertise these fitting 2500/3500 trucks.

I'll post a separate thread without all my particular issue details and just the fitment facts for the benefit of any other 2500 owner coming on here looking for information on buying longtube headers....I wish I had that thread available when I was looking.....it's essentially the same email I sent JBA.

I'm not slagging the product itself, I'm sure these headers would do their job just fine, ON A 1500 TRUCK....they should just be far more careful to advertise what they're selling correctly.

OP
OP
chargerrob1977
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
just checked and got an email from them. They are going to offer me a set of either shorty header they sell at wholesale + freight.

I'm ok with that since it's all I asked for. It would have been exceptional if for the loss of the use of my truck and time doing their fitment research for them they comp'd me a set of shorties, but I'm marginally satisfied with the wholesale cost. Wish they would have offered it without asking. They have already updated their site with the new details, so that's good too for the next guy.....not sure if I'm going to take them up on the offer yet.

When I have more time I will post a technical detail of my fitment experience.

I have been hearing that even on 1500's, these headers will only fit 2009+, and on the 2008 and earlier, the collector sits right up against the frame....but I can't personally speak to that since I haven't experienced if firsthand....just be careful and make sure you hear from someone who has successfully installed this on a truck exactly like yours before you pull the trigger.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It's not only a 2500 problem,we had a pile of fun putting my JBA's on,to the point i'll never buy another set of their headers.We had to trim the drivers side motor mount a fair bit (entailing cutting torch and grinder,lol),and bash the hell out of the front drivers side header tube for steering shaft clearance,plus the midpipe doesn't fit all that great around the 8 sp tranny,this is on my 2014 RCSB 4X4 .I know of another 2012 QC 1500 with JBA's and the owner has had to beat her front tube to gain steering shaft clearance to,"but" there's a but to the story,i know of a RCSB 2015 4X4 that doesn't have clearance issues on the steering shaft,but his midpipe is like mine doesn't really fit around the 8 sp all that well,but why he has no clearance issues on the steering shaft leads me to wonder about discrepencies in the trucks themselves,lol.I'd also recommend wrapping them even if ceramic coated,as they damn near run right up against the brake lines on the inside of the drivers side frame rail.Like I said i'll never buy another set of their headers,i'll bite the bullet for ARH's

OP
OP
chargerrob1977
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wild one, could it be an issue where the motor isn't centered correctly on the mounts? There wasn't a lot of play on my 2500 bolts, but my motor did seem slightly more to the drivers side... I war ahead and centered the motor during my test fitting fiasco of these headers. Could just be manufacturing discrepancies..... close is one thing, bit not being able to fit at all even with the mount removed and the motor jacked up in place is another.

Looks like the description on jba's site is updated to say 2009+ Ram 1500.... so that accounts for the 2008 and earlier issues I've heard about.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
IMHO, shorties are no replacement for long tubes. especially if you have to pay for those too. Shorties get you minimal benefits.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicholas17smith