Warranty Options - Lifetime?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have owned my 2015 RAM for about 6 mos. i purchased a dealer branded extended warranty when the vehicle was delivered.

Yesterday, I spoke with a representative ar MOPAR and just learned that I am eligible for lifetime coverage.

Thinking about canceling one, and going lifetime.

Any reason I shouldn’t? Experience with the Lifetime Warranty I should be aware of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KCaudill

The RAM
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I too have the lifetime unlimited miles warranty, things to remember is that its not transferable, and you have to take it into a Ram dealer for a 5 yr check up. Also, if you do your own maintenance work to keep records of all of it, Receipts for oil and mileage when it was completed. Once your Ram has allot of miles and wear on it, if the repair exceeds the cost of the truck Ram will cut you a check for the repair and not fix your truck. If you plan on keeping it forever i say its a great plan.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
I think the decision to purchase a extended warranty comes down to a couple basic thoughts. How long will I keep this vehicle, how many miles will I put on it. We factory order our trucks and keep them for 10+ years. We put 200k+ miles on them, and use our trucks to tow. A extended warranty, power-train warranty or Lifetime warranty is a reasonable economic insurance expense for us. We purchased the lifetime warranty on our 2018 2500. In 5 years we could have a electrical or mechanical repair for $1500-$3500 or more. If so, the warranty pays for itself. Folks that replace their vehicle just before the factory warranty expires, would of course have no need.

MoparFin

U. S. Navy Vet - AS1
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have it on my Charger. Its a 2012 with 120k on it. The bluetooth module died a couple months ago. Part alone was 475. I got it fixed for $100. If you keep the vehicle, its well worth it. I have also had all the oil changes, etc at the dealer. My dealer runs a service deal where 4 oil changes are like $80, so I get that that way they have record of all that. Only thing my warranty doesn't cover is brakes, rotors, tires and light bulbs. Can't beat it. Plus, as long as it has your name on the title, its covered.

OP
OP
F

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think the decision to purchase a extended warranty comes down to a couple basic thoughts. How long will I keep this vehicle, how many miles will I put on it. We factory order our trucks and keep them for 10+ years. We put 200k+ miles on them, and use our trucks to tow. A extended warranty, power-train warranty or Lifetime warranty is a reasonable economic insurance expense for us. We purchased the lifetime warranty on our 2018 2500. In 5 years we could have a electrical or mechanical repair for $1500-$3500 or more. If so, the warranty pays for itself. Folks that replace their vehicle just before the factory warranty expires, would of course have no need.

I typically keep my vehicles for a long time, and trade them out of fear of the next big repair.

Real or imagined, if I can get a prorated refund and roll it into lifetime it may be a good decision - knowing if something goes wrong, I am covered.

My truck is a commuter, maintained at the dealer - so records and such are all there.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I too have the lifetime unlimited miles warranty, things to remember is that its not transferable, and you have to take it into a Ram dealer for a 5 yr check up. Also, if you do your own maintenance work to keep records of all of it, Receipts for oil and mileage when it was completed. Once your Ram has allot of miles and wear on it, if the repair exceeds the cost of the truck Ram will cut you a check for the repair and not fix your truck. If you plan on keeping it forever i say its a great plan.

Where did you see the 5 year checkup? Thats not in my plan

OP
OP
F

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
While we’re on the topic...anybody remember approximate costs for their lifetime warranty?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I think it used to be a requirement but it changed somewhere along the way. I want to say around the same time they went to a 5 yr/60K powertrain vs 100K mile. I purchased MaxCare Lifetime in April and its not part of my contract either.

Also, some dealer-supplied warranties have stipulations like that, not genuine Mopar warranties though.

While we’re on the topic...anybody remember approximate costs for their lifetime warranty?

I paid about $2700 after discounts for MaxCare Lifetime w/100.00 deductible back in April. It looks like they have a price hike every year around then, 3% seems to be the norm.

OP
OP
F

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hmmmm...

Wondering if there is any negotiation to be had.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Yes there is. If you search on this forum, you will find that the FCA-Mopar lifetime warranty runs (on average) $2200 to $3500. You will find a link to recommended people who offer this warranty. Also compare to direct from MOPAR versus dealer. They may be offering discounts.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L

That was the briefly offered at no cost factory Lifetime Limited Powertrain Warranty for 2006 through 2008 models sold after July of 2007. To maintain it, there is a 60 day window every 5 years on the sale date anniversary where it has to be dealer inspected. That was during the Ceberus transition between Daimler and FCA. An owner had to either remember their anniversary date and make an appointment within the window and/or a reminder card was mailed to last address on file to schedule the visit.

This warranty only extended to the original purchaser and was dropped when either sold or a missed 5 year inspection.

Last edited:

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
One of things I have noticed regarding FCA extended warranty's. They vary widely, year to year. In some years they did not offer a Lifetime warranty. In some years the Lifetime warranty is very different than the previous year LTW. It is why we have 30 days to read and cancel if it is not what we want. (or the dealer said it was)

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I have owned my 2015 RAM for about 6 mos. i purchased a dealer branded extended warranty when the vehicle was delivered.

Yesterday, I spoke with a representative ar MOPAR and just learned that I am eligible for lifetime coverage.

Thinking about canceling one, and going lifetime.

Any reason I shouldn’t? Experience with the Lifetime Warranty I should be aware of?

Lifetime warranty is a good idea if you decide to keep your truck. Your factory 60k warranty and the Lifetime warranty are two different things. Be sure to use approved fluids when doing maintenance. I got my Max Lifetime warranty contract in the mail and there is Very specific language in it related it use, maintenance, modifications. One thing that stood out to me was if a third party does maintenance on the vehicle you MUST keep all recipes to prove proper fluids were used. And only recommend And Approved fluids shall be used. So for me in a 6.4 only two oils exist that meet FCA certification. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w40, and Amsoil 0w40. Which doesn't hurt my feelings because both are Fantastic oils.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I talked to my service dept about the MaxCare Lifetime and me doing my own oil changes, they said to keep receipts to show that I bought the correct oil and record when I changed it.

They were pretty honest with me, saying that if it ever came down to it, FCA would have them tear down the engine regardless of my records (or lack thereof) and once they opened up the engine theyd be able to tell right away if it was maintained correctly. They would then communicate that back to FCA which would allow or deny warranty/MaxCare payout.

So, basically, take care of your truck, keep decent (or better) records and you should be good to go. The My Mopar site lets you record when you do things which is cool, but it would be 1000% better if I could upload pics and attach them to each service. That way the receipts will always be there if it ever came down to it.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

I got my Lifetime Maxcare w/$100 deductable from a forum vendor here for around $2950 3 weeks ago.

M² Mods.