Waterproofing A.R.E. truck cap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

northman11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I sold my tonneau cover and picked up a A.R.E. Z series truck cap for my 2012 Ram Sport CC. I got it for additional storage space for family camping trips and the occasional road trip. My tonneau cover kept the truck bed completely dry and waterproof. Nothing could make it leak. No car wash, no North Carolina hurricane. Nothing.

The cap ... is a different beast. If I run it through a car wash, I get water coming in under the cap nearest the truck cab. All of the windows are sealed properly and the water wicks in under the truck cap near the cab.

I have considered getting a new seal like the one linked below. However, I wonder if my problem is caused by the factory plastic parts that sit on top of the truck bed rails (rail bed protectors/caps).

Was I supposed to remove those before installing the truck cap?
Should I remove the foal seal under the cap and install the below seal?
Any other ideas?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BNGBXOC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A26GQRWSJVLGWV&psc=1

TatertotScott

The man, the myth, the legend, the one and only!
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would recommend a bulb seal all the way around to deal with any and all variations in the surface.

I used bulb seals for my Bak Revolver X2 (known to leak a little in heavy rain/carwashes) and regularly carrying cement/concrete in my bed with no water getting inside now.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I sold my tonneau cover and picked up a A.R.E. Z series truck cap for my 2012 Ram Sport CC. I got it for additional storage space for family camping trips and the occasional road trip. My tonneau cover kept the truck bed completely dry and waterproof. Nothing could make it leak. No car wash, no North Carolina hurricane. Nothing.

The cap ... is a different beast. If I run it through a car wash, I get water coming in under the cap nearest the truck cab. All of the windows are sealed properly and the water wicks in under the truck cap near the cab.

I have considered getting a new seal like the one linked below. However, I wonder if my problem is caused by the factory plastic parts that sit on top of the truck bed rails (rail bed protectors/caps).

Was I supposed to remove those before installing the truck cap?
Should I remove the foal seal under the cap and install the below seal?
Any other ideas?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BNGBXOC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A26GQRWSJVLGWV&psc=1

My guess is the front gasket is either not compressed enough or it isn't sealing the area close to the plastic sides. I have the same Z-series on my 14 Sport with no leaks. IIRC, I used the foam seal and doubled it under the front but no reason the bulb seal above won't work. Just be sure any gasket is well compressed by the cap all the way around.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
The plastic rail cap is textured and can cause the seeping. The 3 trucks I had before did not have the cap and the seals went against smooth metal.

Someone somewhere in my memory took duct tape on top of plastic. The tape adhesive would form a better seal and the smooth top of the tape would allow the cap's seal to seal,

OP
OP
N

northman11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm going to pick up a new seal, probably the one in the link I originally posted. It is similar to a bulb seal but looks a little wider with two bulbs and a middle section too.

I probably need to remove the foam seal already on the cap. Should I take the cap off and set it on some saw horses and work from underneath to remove and then install the new one? I'm hesitant to lay it upside down because I don't want to scratch or dent in the top of the cap.

TatertotScott

The man, the myth, the legend, the one and only!
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm going to pick up a new seal, probably the one in the link I originally posted. It is similar to a bulb seal but looks a little wider with two bulbs and a middle section too.

I probably need to remove the foam seal already on the cap. Should I take the cap off and set it on some saw horses and work from underneath to remove and then install the new one? I'm hesitant to lay it upside down because I don't want to scratch or dent in the top of the cap.

Up on Saw horses, or hanging from a ceiling if you have that option. Couple of ratcheting bike pulley systems would work very well, methinks.

Also may want to use some thin silicone if you feel like the self-adhesive won't stick super well. Make sure to clean off the old seal really well.

OP
OP
N

northman11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Up on Saw horses, or hanging from a ceiling if you have that option. Couple of ratcheting bike pulley systems would work very well, methinks.

Also may want to use some thin silicone if you feel like the self-adhesive won't stick super well. Make sure to clean off the old seal really well.

Sounds like solid advice. Thanks everyone.

Backroads

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The water is probly coming in from the end of the bed caps where they it would be raised up slightly higher from the front lip. I ended up removing the plastic bedliner to build a floor inside since we use it for traveling and camping ended up having to double up on the seal and ad 2 little strip pieces on the corners behind the cab so it wouldn't leak did that last year still stays dry. Good luck.

Tim Weiss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
If anyone out there has a Z series ARE on a 2020 Ram 1500, could you possibly measure the height of your back opening when the door is up and the tailgate is down. (from the floor) I am looking to putting one on but I need to make sure my wheelchair will fit in the opening height wise. Thanks