We just placed an order for a Dodge Hornet GT Blacktop, thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My wife is looking at them.

I like everything except not sure what's the ground clearance, we own some property with a cabin on a bad road.

Italian cars have always been cool.
Don’t overlook the Jeep Cherokee.

OP
OP
Jessica Smith

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So?

Did you ever get it?
Its 5/22/23, and the damn thing finally has a VIN but hasn't left Italy yet... supposed to be a month before it shows up at dealership. Will drive it for sure, but not sure I'll trade in for it anymore.

I initially ordered non-blacktop, but then added blacktop package later that day and confirmed in the morning they added it. The VIN finally produced says no blacktop, and the silver wheels look really dumb. For some reason they have way less offset than the blacktop ones that sit flush.

Fuel economy was also worse than I was hoping now that EPA has evaluated, and is at 24 combined:
Capture.JPG

Obviously, we couldn't share a vehicle for 6 months, so we bought a '23 Nissan Rogue since all the hybrids had huge markups on them, and it was the highest fuel economy non-hybrid (37mpg EPA) with no markup (got it a tick under MSRP) that didn't look overly stupid and was very comfy.

Even though base model, still most expensive vehicle purchased to date at $30.5K OTD. Vehicles so expensive now! Just need to bring it to a place to have the chrome V in front wrapped gloss black and have the front windows tinted.
Rogue2.jpg
Got a hitch for it already, only rated 1500lbs, but that's plenty for our little motorcycle trailer.

Last edited:

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just need to bring it to a place to have the chrome V in front wrapped gloss black and have the front windows tinted.
Hi Jessica, great looking Nissan, be careful with windshield tint, they use allot of liquid to install the tint, rumors out there is the fluid is getting through the dash pad and effecting some electronics, make sure they use a plastic tarp or absorbent pad when they do the job.

OP
OP
Jessica Smith

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi Jessica, great looking Nissan, be careful with windshield tint, they use allot of liquid to install the tint, rumors out there is the fluid is getting through the dash pad and effecting some electronics, make sure they use a plastic tarp or absorbent pad when they do the job.
Sorry by front windows, I meant the two on the sides in the front, just to match the tint that is on the back two windows. Even though the back is already tinted, might even have them put tint on the back glass just for privacy/security.

Hard part is going to be finding a tint that has the tanish type of look to it of the factory tint, as most tints I've had always seem a bit more on the blue spectrum. Looks weird when sides are ever so slightly blue and back are brownish in hue.

BTW, I saw the funniest/scariest thing in Houston's China town just this past Friday at the 85C bakery. She pulled in right next to me when I was parking, with about six of those rounded edge rectangular static cling tints pasted all over the windshield save for looking straight ahead on the front glass. Those are the things you usually only put on the back side to keep sun out of babies eyes. I have no idea how she could see out of them!

Last edited:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I like the looks of the new Nissans. Not my sort of vehicle, but I've had a few as rentals and one of my buddies has one. It's kind of a shame they dropped the Xterra instead of updating it.

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I like the looks of the new Nissans. Not my sort of vehicle, but I've had a few as rentals and one of my buddies has one. It's kind of a shame they dropped the Xterra instead of updating it.

Yea, they turned the Pathfinder into a mini-van, and dropped the X-Terra.

My wife went with a Subaru Forester Wilderness Edition, but saw the Hornet commercial and knows my Mopar bias...

OP
OP
Jessica Smith

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea, they turned the Pathfinder into a mini-van, and dropped the X-Terra.

My wife went with a Subaru Forester Wilderness Edition, but saw the Hornet commercial and knows my Mopar bias...
I like that the Wilderness gets a front camera and black headliner. I was tempted!

My sister is actually in the market for a mini-van that doesn't look like a minivan, so the Pathfinder was a contender. So far though, people are saying Pathfinder reliability is dirt, so got a pass on that. Instead she's thinking of picking up a Kia Carnival, everyone knows its a minivan, but they blunted the front end to make it look a bit more SUVish, and the third row will be great because she's hauling around five kids quite often:
Capture.JPG

OP
OP
Jessica Smith

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The current one or the previous version with the CVT?

If the current, I'd be surprised but not floored.
The new one unfortunately. There were a few that cautioned, including Consumer Reports for example based on last year's surveys put their predicted reliability at the lowest of any vehicle reviewed to date IIRC at 5 out of 100 confidence it would be reliable. "We expect the 2023 Pathfinder will be much less reliable than the average new car." Consumer Reports

OP
OP
Jessica Smith

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My order finally came in, and declined it.

Very nice interior, even with the cloth which is a high quality look. Front seats are very comfortable, and everything is easily at hand with no sea of gloss black. Floating infotainment is very high resolution with a great 360 camera. Standard big digital cluster is nice. No complaints on that front.

Handling is very flat, firm but not overly stiff (unlike our Charger Scat Pack), very thin steering wheel with quick turn ratios, and feels tight like a Mazda CX5/30. Shifts were positive and fine, but of course much more noticeable than a CVT that most of the time just glides around at a fixed RPM which is very boring but more comfortable for passengers.

Interior in the back is quite cramped, and overall feels much like a CX30, so not the most practical unless you just have children in the back seats.

Overall, very similar competitor to the sister vehicle Alfa Romeo Tonale of course and to the Mazda CX-30 turbo, and is priced similar to the turbo. I would recommend the Hornet with tech package and blacktop package over the CX-30 Turbo.

Word of caution: The blackout package (or track pack) are a MUST. Our order was screwed up, and we got the base wheels, and they are hideous sunken into the vehicle with narrow tires and completely transform the vehicle into looking like a freshly squeezed economy ****. Aftermarket wheels at present are almost non-existent in selection with its unique bolt pattern and offset requirement checking all the major websites.

With the very poor trade-in value offered, big drop in practicality/roominess, and geo-metro wheels, had to pass:
basehornetwheels.jpg
basehornetwheels2.jpg

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My order finally came in, and declined it.

Very nice interior, even with the cloth which is a high quality look. Front seats are very comfortable, and everything is easily at hand with no sea of gloss black. Floating infotainment is very high resolution with a great 360 camera. Standard big digital cluster is nice. No complaints on that front.

Handling is very flat, firm but not overly stiff (unlike our Charger Scat Pack), very thin steering wheel with quick turn ratios, and feels tight like a Mazda CX5/30. Shifts were positive and fine, but of course much more noticeable than a CVT that most of the time just glides around at a fixed RPM which is very boring but more comfortable for passengers.

Interior in the back is quite cramped, and overall feels much like a CX30, so not the most practical unless you just have children in the back seats.

Overall, very similar competitor to the sister vehicle Alfa Romeo Tonale of course and to the Mazda CX-30 turbo, and is priced similar to the turbo. I would recommend the Hornet with tech package and blacktop package over the CX-30 Turbo.

Word of caution: The blackout package (or track pack) are a MUST. Our order was screwed up, and we got the base wheels, and they are hideous sunken into the vehicle with narrow tires and completely transform the vehicle into looking like a freshly squeezed economy ****. Aftermarket wheels at present are almost non-existent in selection with its unique bolt pattern and offset requirement checking all the major websites.

With the very poor trade-in value offered, big drop in practicality/roominess, and geo-metro wheels, had to pass:
View attachment 522425
View attachment 522426
Sorry it didn’t work out. If I was looking at this type of vehicle, I’d check out Mazda.

OP
OP
Jessica Smith

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Better review of a trackpack version:

Of course they say $30K in the title, but that's the ghetto version, by the time you load it up, its often closer to $40K.

Shaggy

Administrator/Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ram Year
--
Engine
--

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics