Our Faithful Ram was Totalled by Reckless Uninsured Motorist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Richard Kim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My 2013 RCSB got totaled by an uninsured woman on 1960 @59. I had planned to keep that truck for the rest of my life. It was in perfect shape and the insurance compared it to 2009s with 200k miles and rust. 2 years with a lawyer and I got another $14k from the insurance company total $27600. But I had to wait. Had to go to several chiropractor appointments but I would have done that anyway. I was hurt and everything seems healed now.
RVance,

Sorry to hear about this. I am sure it was stressful. Now Houstonians are dealing with fake paper plates AND uninsured drivers. I have learned to be way less aggressive when I drive and give way to idiot drivers. Not worth the headaches and loosing my truck!

Scott Sanders

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Illegal immigrants have ruined Houston. No insurance, fake paper plates, converter thefts, and that all just the small stuff.
What does the "illegal" part have to do with your question? I (and many others) have gotten into wrecks with "legal" non-insured drivers before. Is there a difference that would merit the way you worded your question?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Someone seams more offended in language then the fact these people who have no idea how to drive here are damaging us without consequence. I think most people are MORE OFFENDED that this is happening in the first place. Illegal is a correct descriptive word for them, just like criminal is a correct way to describe someone who commits crime. In fact, if not for the double negative thing, we should call them criminal illegal aliens? :)

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What does the "illegal" part have to do with your question? I (and many others) have gotten into wrecks with "legal" non-insured drivers before. Is there a difference that would merit the way you worded your question?
Actually, there's nothing "legal" about driving without insurance if it is required by your state. So ALL drivers that are driving without insurance (if required) are illegals.

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
First, the subject matter of this thread had already expanded to include "Houston" issues, so I addressed that.

Second, having a wreck with a US citizen IS different. You can identify them, and take legal action if necessary. They can be held accountable. Have a wreck with an illegal immigrant, they simply run and disappear, but even if you know who and where they are, they are exempt from laws and will never be held accountable.

You will soon personally see this in action in NC, Scott.

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Actually, there's nothing "legal" about driving without insurance if it is required by your state. So ALL drivers that are driving without insurance (if required) are illegals.

Illegal as a DRIVER, correct.
Illegal as a US citizen, NO.

Context matters greatly here.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Illegal as a DRIVER, correct.
Illegal as a US citizen, NO.

Context matters greatly here.
Unfortunately, this forum is a no politics zone. Politics will usually get a warning or the thread locked/deleted.
I have no disagreement with your context ;)

But why should people buy insurance, it's not like there's any punishment.
Rules for me but not for thee.

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Unfortunately, this forum is a no politics zone. Politics will usually get a warning or the thread locked/deleted.

Litigation.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Time to get a new insurance company and make sure they cover uninsured motorists properly. There's a reason cheap insurance is cheap, and you won't like the answer.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have Commercial Auto Insurance
i was told that i could not get Uninsured Motorist

I have a 750,000 dollar policy on my Ram 1500

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

Because you own things and want to continue to own things so you insure yourself against catastrophic loss. Like hitting an expensive car and injuring someone.

JohnUSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Insurance Information Institute says nearly 13% of drivers nationwide are uninsured. Some states jump to 20%. Lawsuits seldom recover. If they had money, they would probably be insured. That being said, we got t-boned by an uninsured motorist, and totaled the vehicle. We got replacement cost to get another vehicle, and we paid our deductible. MANY months later, we got a check from our insurance company in the amount of our deductible. Apparently, they hounded the other party until they paid!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'd wager illegal aliens have a lot more the a 13% uninsured rate. Hopefully some day someone will fix this, until then, make sure you up your uninsured motorists coverage to a high level. You can go from 15k to 500k for way under 100 bucks a coverage period. That way if you get hit, you can recover up to 500k from your ins company and they wont raise your rate. That is what uninsured coverage does. Most people have 15k, if you have that trust me fix that now.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
about 10 years ago on Interstate 5 in California
There is a down hill under pass, ( it is long enough to be called a tunnel )
There was an accident, it involved several semi trucks
When the Highway Patrol started invested, they found that there was something like 10 more semi trucks, than there were semi truck drivers.
They know that those absent drivers were not suppose to be driving so far North of the Border.
There is a buffer zone at the Border, that the Mexican truck drivers can travel to drop off the semi trucks Trailer, or unload it & return back across the border.

The Highway Patrol can only find fault with the company that owns the semi truck, the penalty will be that they will no longer be able to cross the Border with their Semis.
Insurance companies will have to try to sort out payouts & denials of service

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Because you own things and want to continue to own things so you insure yourself against catastrophic loss. Like hitting an expensive car and injuring someone.
I understand that for responsible people, I was referring to those who have nothing. Can't lose anything if you have nothing and their mentality is that they will never have anything to take.
Can't get blood from a turnip.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Litigation.
I agree for responsible people.
However most who don't have insurance are either irresponsible and/or have nothing for you to take.
You can win $100 million, if the person only has $50 what are you going to get from them?

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I agree for responsible people.
However most who don't have insurance are either irresponsible and/or have nothing for you to take.
You can win $100 million, if the person only has $50 what are you going to get from them?
The posters asked "why" and I responded, correctly. You can debate the effectiveness of said litigation all you want but that was not the question. If they have "only $50" that's why "uninsured motorist" insurance is sold.

As far as the irresponsible drivers, many in my area are illegal's, and they simply run away and hide if they damage, injure or kill someone. Lawlessness at work, by Federal design.

Last edited:

Freakydude

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Anyone here who does or has worked in Law Enforcement knows that the number of uninsured motorists is incredibly high and it's so maddening. This goes for persons driving while suspended also! You see the same people over and over and judges do not sentence them to time. Court costs and probation. Pay fine and go home. Same crap and they go right out and drive again, no license or insurance. They know the repercussions are minimal.
Come to Canada, If you drive you insure period. there is no choice. Caught by the cops, First offence min fine $5000 and it goes up from there, not including the victim surcharge which is like an added 25% plus you could see yourself in a rent free room if you know what I mean. Only bummer is when you insure its like buying a porsche, we will sell base insurance for this amount to make you legal and everything else you add on well you pay for the extra.
Its nice knowing that non-insurers really get hit hard when they get caught.

*I just checked some laws across the country and they change by province but Ontario where I live is a min $5000 fine etc.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
California has a minimal fee for things like
no valid license
no valid registration
no AUTO insurance

but, if you are not wearing a seat belt, the fine is up there

We have politicians that claim that poor people can't afford auto insurance & that is the reason why all motorcyclists must wear helmets, Then they add that if a motorcyclist that is not wearing a helmet & gets hit by an uninsured motorist & has a Brain injury, then the State would be responsible to pay for the Hospital costs for the head injury. So motorcyclist must wear helmets.

How does that ring your bell?

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have often wondered why seatbelts are so strictly enforced...but people are allowed to ride motorcycles with zero restraints. At least in a 4000ib car or truck I have a super high tech collision absorbing metal frame around me with multiple airbags. A motorcyclist might have a T-shirt, gym shorts and sandals.