Weight Distribution Hitch Drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello. I have a weight distribution hitch from my old 2001 Ram 2500. My 2022 Ram 2500 4x4 seems to sit much higher than the old truck did. My current WDH is not going to have enough drop for the travel trailer we will be picking up at the end of the week. I plan on getting another WDH with adjustable drop. What in your opinions would be a good drop length for this truck to use for a travel trailer? Thanks

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Measure the difference between the tongue height of the trailer and the bottom of the truck receiver account for about 1.5"-2" of truck squat. Guessing you'll need about an 8" drop unless you put bigger tires on the truck.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
The WD hitch I have (Equalizer E4) has an 8 inch drop which makes the ball just about even with the receiver as far as height goes.
My TT rides just about level.

Attachments

• IMG_2165.JPG
    IMG_2165.JPG
    228.1 KB · Views: 14

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The WD hitch I have (Equalizer E4) has an 8 inch drop which makes the ball just about even with the receiver as far as height goes.
Same here with my e4 as well, had to add an 8" shank too. And then readjust after putting on taller tires.

2500_trailer.jpg

OP
OP
Bramic71

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you not just change the shank on your current WDH? I don't think I've ever seen a WDS that you can't change the shank.
That's a great idea. I'll have to seeifi can find one. My hitch is 24.75" to the inside top of the receiver. Called the camper dealer today and he said the coupler is about 23" to the top. I don't see a camper coupler sitting that high when level. I guess I'll have to see for myself when we travel there on Friday. My other camper wasn't that high I dont believe.

OP
OP
Bramic71

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice! Thank you for the reply.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
That's a great idea. I'll have to seeifi can find one. My hitch is 24.75" to the inside top of the receiver. Called the camper dealer today and he said the coupler is about 23" to the top. I don't see a camper coupler sitting that high when level. I guess I'll have to see for myself when we travel there on Friday. My other camper wasn't that high I dont believe.
I wouldn't change anything until you hook the new rig up.
Besides it won't hurt anything to pull it home without the setup being perfect. You can figure it out then.