what cold air intake should i get?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sooo after much debate I went ahead and ordered th sb last night along with a new PCV valve. I still can't decide if I want a catch can. To me it doesn't seem worth it.

Save your money, a CAI will not do much except look good and make noise, because the ram already has a CAI on it that works great. If you take a good look at most of the aftermarket ones, you will see that they are drawing in hot air from the engine compartment. Which means less power. This question has been asked 100's of times on a lot of car and truck sites.
But a oil catch can will keep the oil mist from making a mess inside of the intake that is not good. You will get about 2 inches on oil in it around 3K miles.
I have one on the Ram and Challenger.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Save your money, a CAI will not do much except look good and make noise, because the ram already has a CAI on it that works great. If you take a good look at most of the aftermarket ones, you will see that they are drawing in hot air from the engine compartment. Which means less power. This question has been asked 100's of times on a lot of car and truck sites.

But a oil catch can will keep the oil mist from making a mess inside of the intake that is not good. You will get about 2 inches on oil in it around 3K miles.

To add on to this it's debatable because sucking air from behind the headlight may be cold air but it's restricted. S&B is still sucking cold air from the factory hole as well as behind the bumper. So it's reduced the restriction on air flow. Open style intakes like the k&n are sucking warm air from the engine bay. S&B is beneficial as well because you are changing to a cone style filter which allows for greater air flow across the filter. Or you can swap the factory filter for a high flow as well which I've read a lot of people are doing and it works for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zstampe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a couple of videos of me doing pulls with the S&B if anyone is interested in seeing them. Truck is still slow cause its a crew cab on 35" M/T's. Lol

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
except for the vararam which gets its air from the grill because it seals against the hood. as for the catch can i would recommend it , first it keeps oil from going back into the motor which causes it to gum up valves and throttle bodies and also oil in the fuel can cause detonation and lowers the grade of fuel.

tuned by jay greene

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Could you tell a difference between stock and sb?
A lil sump'n in the butt-dyno, a small amount of throttle noise under acceleration and it seems like better throttle response--but not spin 20" rims with Badyears on dry pavement better.

Last edited:

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Take it from the "Vararam Dude" (hey Casper, I like that, thanks', or maybe we sould shorten it to VD, lol) get a Vararam Air Grabber!

Attachments

• IMG_20150905_093817_010[1].jpg
    IMG_20150905_093817_010[1].jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

DocDeath

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 MDS VVT Hemi
I'm going to revive and old thread, and beat an apparantly dead horse!

I just got myself a 2019 classic RAM 1500 crew cab, and I'm loving it. Of course, like most of you, I have to start modding my new toys the day I get them, so here I am. I've more or less narrowed down my personal choice of CAI to Vararam and SB. Are you guys still happy with your decision these years later, or would you have done something different if you had it to do over? What do you recommend now in 2019?

Look forward to your comments and suggestions, and to interacting with this great group of people. I can tell this is a kick butt forum already.

Dave

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My recommendation now is the eco diesel lower air box fits and it has a larger opening to suck air in. Also the eco diesel filter is larger pleats but fits in the box. Wish I had known this before buying my s&b because I would just swap the eco diesel filter in and do the air box mod myself. However I do like the look of my s&b and it sounds cool

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Congrats on the Classic!
I have been running just the K&N drop in...debating this same thing. Although...Wednesday my Vararam arrives. Made my decision. Will keep the K&N on the shelf for the winter...maybe...

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ahhh, air intakes....lol
Started with oem...(duh).
All butt dyno comparisons!!
Added AEM dropin filter and 3" add a tube to behind bumper and felt a difference in upper rpm pulling. Added pulsar and 84 mm throttle body so wanted more air.
Bought a S&B with snorkel off ebay but snorkel has been discontinued so didnt come with it!
Much louder and seemed to pull harder and longer.
S&B blocked access to ECM and pulsar, couldnt have THAT so bought a used vararam and spent a hot minute painting it.
Got it on now and loving every minute of it.
Not as loud as S&B but pulls much harder, longer, faster! (Thats what She said..lol)
The SAGA Continues

20180207_164006.jpg

20180821_160328.jpg

20180917_121810.jpg

20180914_131933.jpg

20181103_103559.jpg

David Christy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Going to test my vararam Wednesday at the track see if helps ,I can feel a difference past 40 mph on the street I will post the results. Some say 2 tenths that’s a lot

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought the aFe cold air intake. It mounts to the lower part of the air factory airfilter housing so it still gets the airflow from the tube going to the radiator support.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Cold air Intakes are really a personal preference. Everyone likes something different. It's all about what you want. They all claim about the same thing.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
i bought my truck used with the mopar cai already on it. i dont feel or hear anything with it. could be the borla catback drowning it out? or the 4" lift and 35s making me not feel it. i took it all apart and cleaned it a month ago. i would NEVER pay $400 for that thing. its so cheap and plain. cant imagine ever getting your moneys worth from it. the vararams are cool and sounds like they perform..but i get lots of snow where i live. so that wouldnt be the best option .

ReefRaider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What about oiled vs dry filter?

Like I said in another thread.

Used a K&N oiled filter for a 180,000 miles in a 2003 5.7. Did just fine by me. Not having a catch can was what gumed up the throttle body.

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
A catch can is the first thing I bought for my truck... Im still amazed every time I dump it that that much **** is being cycled back into my engine.