"What DON'T you like about your 5th Gen RAM"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yep...https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/videos/a8788/the-2015-ford-f-150-pumps-v8-engine-noise-into
It's called Enhanced Engine Sound and you tube is full of videos telling you how to disable it.
Meanwhile-I put a straight pipe and glasspack on my 6.4 Hemi...
To each his own I guess!

Yeah, I believe BMW and maybe Mercedes does the same.

Granted, the sound is important, but give it to me real! Last thing I want is a Tesla sounding like my flat-twelve. Never mind the fact I don't have one, just grant me the desire to have one! For now I will take the flat 6 in my 15 year old Porsche.

Jack Salem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2021 BigHorn 5.7L eTorque. My only "complaint" is not having the proximity door unlock feature I had in a couple of previous jeeps. When your hands are full with stuff, and you have to dig around in your pockets for the remote to unlock the door sucks... pretty petty I know.

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have a 2021 BigHorn 5.7L eTorque. My only "complaint" is not having the proximity door unlock feature I had in a couple of previous jeeps. When your hands are full with stuff, and you have to dig around in your pockets for the remote to unlock the door sucks... pretty petty I know.

That's an option, which was (probably) available. For both my '15 Sport and '20 Laramie the key stay(ed)s in my pocket.

But I know what you mean. It's been probably 15 years since I had to dig a key out to unlock or start my DD. Makes it feel awkward to have to get the key out to unlock and start my '06 Porsche. Especially since the key goes in the LEFT side of the steering column. Generally, by the time I get used to it it's time to put it away for the winter again...

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Not petty at all being that it’s a great feature but the option to have it was there when you bought your truck. It’s just like the guy a long time ago that complained about his truck not having the CD player and I was like, why didn’t you get a truck that had one? It’s no excuse to complain about it later when you coulda bought a truck that had it.

Not picking on you, I’m just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
For some reason my doors won't unlock when my hands are full of stuff. Once I put it down it works fine. Actually dropped my computer picking it up from the shop. Grabbed the handle to unlock the door and it wouldn't work. Trying to grab the fob out of my pocket holding the computer tower in one arm I dropped and smashed it. Once it was out of my hands the door unlocked. I find the same with bags of groceries etc. Thought maybe battery, but it does it with all 3 fobs I have.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
For some reason my doors won't unlock when my hands are full of stuff. Once I put it down it works fine. Actually dropped my computer picking it up from the shop. Grabbed the handle to unlock the door and it wouldn't work. Trying to grab the fob out of my pocket holding the computer tower in one arm I dropped and smashed it. Once it was out of my hands the door unlocked. I find the same with bags of groceries etc. Thought maybe battery, but it does it with all 3 fobs I have.

I've found if I have my phone in the pocket with the fob it wont work. I have had other problems when my pocket is too full of keys and change it wont work. Otherwise it is perfect.

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

Weird. But are you sure it's not just that, because your arms are full that you're grabbing and pulling too quickly? On both of the Rams that I've had, you have to wait more than a micro-second before the doors unlock. My Mercedes and my wife's Explorer do not have that delay. I haven't timed it but I bet it's at least a 1/4 second if not 1/2.

By the way, it's NOT a "proximity" feature, as far as I can tell. It's a "touch with fob in proximity" feature. IOW, you have to touch the back of the handle WHILE the fob is in the proximity, to unlock.

On my '15, the locks "unlocked" (and very loudly) even if they were already unlocked, if I had the fob and grabbed the handle. I got so that I would "pinch" the top/bottom of the handle if the truck was already unlocked (which it is, 99.3% of the time) to avoid that. My '20 is smarter - if the doors are already unlocked it doesn't re-unlock them when I grab the handle. But my point is that, if the truck IS locked, you can't open the door by "pinching" the top/bottom of the handle no matter how long you wait. You HAVE to grab the BACK of the handle WITH the fob in proximity, to unlock the door(s).

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Weird. But are you sure it's not just that, because your arms are full that you're grabbing and pulling too quickly? On both of the Rams that I've had, you have to wait more than a micro-second before the doors unlock. My Mercedes and my wife's Explorer do not have that delay. I haven't timed it but I bet it's at least a 1/4 second if not 1/2.

By the way, it's NOT a "proximity" feature, as far as I can tell. It's a "touch with fob in proximity" feature. IOW, you have to touch the back of the handle WHILE the fob is in the proximity, to unlock.

On my '15, the locks "unlocked" (and very loudly) even if they were already unlocked, if I had the fob and grabbed the handle. I got so that I would "pinch" the top/bottom of the handle if the truck was already unlocked (which it is, 99.3% of the time) to avoid that. My '20 is smarter - if the doors are already unlocked it doesn't re-unlock them when I grab the handle. But my point is that, if the truck IS locked, you can't open the door by "pinching" the top/bottom of the handle no matter how long you wait. You HAVE to grab the BACK of the handle WITH the fob in proximity, to unlock the door(s).
I just tried it again every way possible with a laundry basket full of clothes in my arms. No go. Put the basket down. Works. Doesn't make sense to me how it's possible.

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
Yeah well, the truck knew that you were carrying a basket of laundry. A bucket of tools and that puppy would have opened right up!

mmcbeat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I took delivery of a Ram Lone Star today. so far, I am extremely pleased with the vehicle. It’s the 5.7 hemi with 3.92 rear end. I would like to see a bit more internal storage. No storage under the rear seats. But the double glove box and console configuration is nice.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I took delivery of a Ram Lone Star today. so far, I am extremely pleased with the vehicle. It’s the 5.7 hemi with 3.92 rear end. I would like to see a bit more internal storage. No storage under the rear seats. But the double glove box and console configuration is nice.
Keep in mind you have storage in the floor under the rear floor mats.

abnfdc

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is a lot I like.

One thing that is disappointing is the lack of a spare tire. That stupid donut doesn't count. Especially if I need it when towing something. Is this thing a truck or a Honda Accord?

I would have rather gotten a bare steel wheel and mounted my own tire like I did with my 93.

Now I have to spend money to dispose of the donut so I can mount a serviceable tire. Either that or burn it on Earth Day.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a lot I like.

One thing that is disappointing is the lack of a spare tire. That stupid donut doesn't count. Especially if I need it when towing something. Is this thing a truck or a Honda Accord?

I would have rather gotten a bare steel wheel and mounted my own tire like I did with my 93.

Now I have to spend money to dispose of the donut so I can mount a serviceable tire. Either that or burn it on Earth Day.

Yes, that is awful stupid that they’re now resorting to putting temporary-use donuts on full-size pickups and even though I’m not trying to defend them, I would sure hope that temporary spare would still be suitable in an emergency situation to use as a spare even if you were towing within the limits of your truck but, I have to ask… Did you buy your truck knowing that it had not an actual same-sized steel wheel that had the same tire mounted to it as the rest of your tires?

When I bought my truck, if I had known ahead of time before I bought it if it had not the true steel wheel and same tire as the rest of the tires on my truck, I think I would’ve brought that up to the dealer’s attention and had them put me an actual spare under my bed before I bought the truck.

My point being, I could’ve complained a long time ago about back when I bought my truck brand new that it didn’t have the front tow hooks, it didn’t come with the locking lug nuts, it came with the painted step bars and it came with the Rhino-lined bed that I could’ve gotten by without simply because I had already had plans to put in a carpeted bed liner and a tonneau cover on top but since I knew ahead of time my truck came with/didn’t come with certain things I wanted, why complain?

abnfdc

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have to ask… Did you buy your truck knowing that it had not an actual same-sized steel wheel that had the same tire mounted to it as the rest of your tires?

The only size I care about on a spare is whether it will fit on the hub and has the same bolt pattern. This does. I'm not into 5 wheel tire rotations. I do notice it's an 18" rim, so I'll just need to find a similar size 18" tire.

JonP39

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 BTS Tank Green
Engine
5.7 Hemi
the automatic lights.

No matter the weather, if its set to auto, they're on. Bugs me, because during the day, i have to use the stupid dimmer switch to set it to max brightness, if not, I cant see the gauges or infotainment system.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
why complain?

Oh cause it's human nature, and it is what the thread is requesting.

This one is just for you corny, I especially am pissed that my tow mirrors don't power fold. Yes I knew this long before purchasing the truck (I even had them on a previous ram), but cmon Ram, you can't give me power fold on a longhorn?!?!

At least they fixed that, my 21 I have on order now has the power fold tow mirror on the 1500s, about time RAm!

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the automatic lights.

No matter the weather, if its set to auto, they're on. Bugs me, because during the day, i have to use the stupid dimmer switch to set it to max brightness, if not, I cant see the gauges or infotainment system.

Sounds like there’s something wrong with your sensor if your headlights are pretty much staying on all the time.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh cause it's human nature, and it is what the thread is requesting.

This one is just for you corny, I especially am pissed that my tow mirrors don't power fold. Yes I knew this long before purchasing the truck (I even had them on a previous ram), but cmon Ram, you can't give me power fold on a longhorn?!?!

At least they fixed that, my 21 I have on order now has the power fold tow mirror on the 1500s, about time RAm!

The thread is not requesting, it’s merely asking; And it’s not even really asking either, it’s just somebody’s idea to make a thread to see what people can whine about their trucks… LOL.

I guess I stand in a group all by myself because I’d probably much only complain about worthy stuff to complain about, like with the tow mirrors on half-tons.

But yeah, that is a legitimate complaint. If practically the same mirror on the same cab can power fold on the heavy-duty’s then why can’t they get that on the half/time?
Then why can’t play on the half tons

Last edited:

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess I stand in a group all by myself

I agree with ya there!

Agreed though on the mirrors, was bad enough they didn't have power fold on the late 4th gens once the HD's had them, but especially egregious to not have them on the first couple of years on the 5th gens as well. Especially considering you not only lost the power fold, but the surround view as well.

Glad they fixed that though, I can't wait to have them on my new truck. Oh and the MFT, the thing I'm looking forward to the most.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with ya there!
Well, agree with that all you want but I probably shouldn’t of said that because there have been other people that has done the same thing I’ve done so no, I’m not the only one in that “group”.
Agreed though on the mirrors, was bad enough they didn’t have power fold on the late 4th gens once the HD’s had them, but especially egregious to not have them on the first couple of years on the 5th gens as well. Especially considering you not only lost the power fold, but the surround view as well.

I know I don’t make the rules and I’m clearly just stating my own opinion and even though there are no rules of the thread that says what someone can ***** about and what they can’t..... a complaint like that is every bit legitimate; but whining because your truck doesn’t have a CD player when you could’ve very easily shopped around a little bit more for a truck that had one, no right to whine irregardless of the thread title and if you do, don’t complain if your comment gets ridiculed. If ya can’t take the heat then stay out of the kitchen.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca