"What DON'T you like about your 5th Gen RAM"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I was always the same way as well. After I got past my first mustang gt 90 AOD car, I never went back. I just prefer to be in total control of a car. Did you grow up in the muscle car era or the mid to late 70s? My dad talks about what all cars or trucks people drove to his High school. If it was anything like dazed and confused it would be a great time to have lived.
Yes I grew up in the mid to late 70's. Was a great time to be a teenager. The muscle car days was the greatest time for driving. We'd drag race all weekend and drive the same cars all week to work and repeat. People call the muscle cars junk but if they had a clue what I (we) put them through and they still kept going. Our cars wasn't nearly as luxury as today's cars but that wasn't what I wanted anyway. I wouldn't trade my youth to be a teenager of today for nothing. Kinda helps being ok with getting older. And yes, there was a lot of "dazed and confused" ! LOL

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes I grew up in the mid to late 70's. Was a great time to be a teenager. The muscle car days was the greatest time for driving. We'd drag race all weekend and drive the same cars all week to work and repeat. People call the muscle cars junk but if they had a clue what I (we) put them through and they still kept going. Our cars wasn't nearly as luxury as today's cars but that wasn't what I wanted anyway. I wouldn't trade my youth to be a teenager of today for nothing. Kinda helps being ok with getting older. And yes, there was a lot of "dazed and confused" ! LOL
I have heard and read stories. I have this book here and man is it a good read.
https://www.ebay.com/p/57101976

I know what I put my foxbody mustangs through. Times were different. They were easy to work on, responded well to mods, and for what they were, they were fast. I grew up in the back seat of my dads 67 RS/SS Marina blue Camaro. I restored a 67 RS/SS highly optioned Camaro Granada Gold. I also had a 70 SS Elky that was restored. I would love to have a 68-70 Road Runner or a 68-70 Charger. The 70 is really growing on me after owning my 19 Charger. I really like the changes Dodge made that year.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I have heard and read stories. I have this book here and man is it a good read.
https://www.ebay.com/p/57101976

I know what I put my foxbody mustangs through. Times were different. They were easy to work on, responded well to mods, and for what they were, they were fast. I grew up in the back seat of my dads 67 RS/SS Marina blue Camaro. I restored a 67 RS/SS highly optioned Camaro Granada Gold. I also had a 70 SS Elky that was restored. I would love to have a 68-70 Road Runner or a 68-70 Charger. The 70 is really growing on me after owning my 19 Charger. I really like the changes Dodge made that year.
I've had every 68 through 70 Mopar muscle car there was. That's all I've ever owned, don't know why but I was never interested in any other brand. I don't knock them tho!

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 1969 Chevelle SS I bought for $600.
Ok I bought it in 1977. View attachment 247464 l still have it 44 years later, I will never part with it.
That was back when you could still get them! Nice Chevelle! We were at a swap meet a few weeks ago and a rusted out and gutted 69 Camaro was going for 15k! My dad paid 6k for his, but it was complete. My dad traded a 77 Z for his 67 back in 85. It didn't run, but it was complete. I traded a nice foxbody for my 67 that was also complete and rust free. All I need to do was minimal body work and and some surface rust clean up. Add a 350/TH400 and fixed the brakes. It had power drums on all 4. It was a really cool car. factory a/c, remote mirror, 8 track, power windows, center console with gauges, custom deluxe interior, RS/SS 350 car, vinyl top, tinted glass, rear defroster, fold down rear seat, the appearance chrome package, It had just about every option available. It was a real cool car.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
2021 Ram 2500 Bighorn crew cab 4x4:
1. No fuel cell or oil pan/ transmission skid plates with any of the packages (Off Road, Snow Chief, etc.)
2. The rear seats don't fold forward?...or slide forward to recline?
3. The OEM power running boards are not an option to add...or special order for the Bighorn?
4. The resonator and tailpipe hang too low.
5. There is room underneath for a larger fuel tank on the 6' 4" bed.

Aelwulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
So far just no telescoping steering wheel (I was surprised that's still the case), that dial shifter now instead of lever shifter, and what sounds like a belt chirp at idle I think my old one had as well. Overall just small things. It might be a model difference but I don't get what so many mean about no storage. Mine has it for days, and as an HD has the fold-out flat floor. But if memory serves the 1500s don't have that and not all have the rear under-seat storage. It was an argument for the 2500 over 1500 with the price being under some 1500s around here. Wireless Android Auto/Apple CarPlay by now would've been nice as well but I can live with a plug. I do like the extra USB plugs they've added since 2017.

Edit: took out the squirrelly part as that was a bad alignment from the factory.

Last edited:

giganova

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
No rear bumper steps like the Chevy Silverado has. Drives me crazy and every time I climb into the bed I hope I won't slip and break a leg. Not even a handle where I could get a firm grip when I climb up. What were they thinking?

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No rear bumper steps like the Chevy Silverado has. Drives me crazy and every time I climb into the bed I hope I won't slip and break a leg. Not even a handle where I could get a firm grip when I climb up. What were they thinking?

Actually they do. Well, not an indentation in the bumper like the Chibby’s do but the new Rams can come with an optional center-mounted deployable bed step. Or, if your truck just simply didn’t come with one, or if your truck is older than when they started doing that, you can get one from Amp-Research for example.
ceb8f0c32ea3679b864306c8ee6b375f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
my p/w came with a retractable step.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ford gives you a step and a hold onto bar. Arent they just nice. I do agree tho, I hate jumping up in my bed.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ford gives you a step and a hold onto bar. Arent they just nice. I do agree tho, I hate jumping up in my bed.

They also give you an aluminum, recycled beer can for a truck, too…lol.

But instead of jumping up in your bed, go get one of those retractable bed steps. Problem solved.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They also give you an aluminum, recycled beer can for a truck, too…lol.

But instead of jumping up in your bed, go get one of those retractable bed steps. Problem solved.

This is true. I have looked into them.

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The GM solution is a whole lot better than nothing, but it's not great. First off, it's still umpteen feet off the ground, and it's not very big. Try it with Sorels on...

The Ford solution (if it's what I'm thinking of) is fine unless you don't want to, or can't, open the tailgate.

The Ram solution, while it is optional (unlike the GM, not sure about Ford) is large, low enough for even this old geezer to find relatively comfortable, and equally effective whether the tailgate is open or closed. The only downside I've found is that it's easy to forget to reset it, and you drive around looking like a dork.

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
Don't want to be negative about the Ram...its is by far the beat truck I have ever owned in my life and thank God blessed me to have the means to own the 2nd one ordered the way I wanted it! Three things Ram could do that would be very helpful and not cost much or take much for engineering to do and they have to know its there...

1. Put a Divider in the top arm rest so when in the fully raised position all the contents do not fall to rear!
2. Telescoping Steering Wheel, you have power every thing else!
3. Have a meeting with Shell Oil to Develop PUP oil to lubricate the Cams adequately to prevent premature wear causing the "Hemi Tick".

A Respectful 4 Time Ram Owner , 1 Time 300 Owner, two Time Charger Owner, (and soon to be when it comes in) 3rd Charger Owner!

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
1. Put a Divider in the top arm rest so when in the fully raised position all the contents do not fall to rear!

I'll second that.

2. Telescoping Steering Wheel...

My '20 Laramie has tele/tilt wheel. Maybe it was part of a package that you didn't select, or they added it the next year.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
The GM solution is a whole lot better than nothing, but it's not great. First off, it's still umpteen feet off the ground, and it's not very big. Try it with Sorels on...

The Ford solution (if it's what I'm thinking of) is fine unless you don't want to, or can't, open the tailgate.

The Ram solution, while it is optional (unlike the GM, not sure about Ford) is large, low enough for even this old geezer to find relatively comfortable, and equally effective whether the tailgate is open or closed. The only downside I've found is that it's easy to forget to reset it, and you drive around looking like a dork.
as soon as you put it in reverse it notifies you on the dash that it's deployed