"What DON'T you like about your 5th Gen RAM"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is that seriously the limit? I have no top speed desires for my 2.5+ ton pickup (I have a Boxster S for that), especially lifted and with 35" tires, but still... My rather anemic '79 Chevy brick with a 350/4sp clocked 112 and that was not maxed...

Oh, I have no doubts even in stock form it’ll go wayyyy higher than that if the speed governor was gone or raised because my old 08... tuned to run on the 91 octane tune with a Diablo Sport Trinity tuner and a 150mph top speed limiter, it hit 120 pretty quick one night showin a Silver-a-do who’s boss but yep, in factory form unless you put a tuner and an unlocked tunable PCM on it to raise the top speed limiter, the computer shuts ‘er down on fuel at about 107, 108 mph. Sad, huh...lol. One day when we were taking my girlfriend’s Civic down to the body shop to get a rearending repair done, she just couldn’t stop laughing after she passed me up doin about 115 after I had put a loooong length on her before that. I said hey, I can’t help it if my speed governor kicks in long before yours does but she just refuses to let that up....lol. That’s ok, I can spank that little rice-grinder from a dead stop up until we’s hittin’ 107....[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
D 'oh!

I've never heard a good sounding V6. Flat-6, yes - Porsche has perfected that IMO (NA, not FI).

Isn’t it true that ford actually made a v8 sound come from the speakers in the newer raptors? I heard that somewhere. I also heard an EgoCrap Raptor one day where the guy had put an exhaust on it and oh man, that thing sounded ***....lol. I was like man, you mighta had a cool truck up until you put that exhaust on but not anymore..... it reminded me of that
Canadian feller in the water park scene on Grown ups...[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
. Flat-6, yes - Porsche has perfected that IMO (NA, not FI).

I’m sure that’s probably better but even that just doesn’t sound good to me. You just can’t beat the rumble from a v8.

OP
OP
T

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
Godzilla 7.3
There’s nothing wrong with wishing for that but according to what I was told when I had asked the question a while back on why the 6.4 was underpowered, it was because for one, the factory power is more than plenty and two, it’s all about longevity as well. The more power you try to squeeze out of them they less the last, or the more they cost to handle that much more power.

We had a Class 6 (26K GVWR) Isuzu FTR for about 10 years. It had a 7.8L straight 6 turbo diesel engine putting out 200 HP. Probably easily capable of 400 HP, but not for the half a million miles it was designed for.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
D 'oh!
I've never heard a good sounding V6. Flat-6, yes - Porsche has perfected that IMO (NA, not FI).
Porsche cars are AMAZING!!!! I would love to order a GT3, but I don't want to claim bankruptcy. :insane: :rotflmao:
The Audi RS3 sounds pretty good too, but nowhere as aggressive as the Porsche cars.

OP
OP
T

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
Godzilla 7.3
One day when we were taking my girlfriend’s Civic down to the body shop to get a rearending repair done, she just couldn’t stop laughing after she passed me up doin about 115 after I had put a loooong length on her before that. I said hey, I can’t help it if my speed governor kicks in long before yours does but she just refuses to let that up....lol. That’s ok, I can spank that little rice-grinder from a dead stop up until we’s hittin’ 107....[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Well, you're still together (apparently) so, there's that.

OP
OP
T

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
Godzilla 7.3
2. I don't like the phone holding situation. But I bought a vent mount phone holder so it was a cheap fix.

I bought a suction cup mount, but ended up just putting the phone in the (apparent) phone holder on the dash console. This, because, even though I have CarPlay, it only works when physically connected via USB. So I have to plug it in to get any real connectivity. And in that case, virtually everything I need/want is available through the 8.4.

3. I am surprised with the technology and price of this vehicle that I cannot level my truck using the air suspension. Seems that would be fairly simple? Just raise the front end a couple of inches with a touch of a button and **** the rake is gone!
Get used to it. FWIW, 99.9% of Joe Public want a rake look, so why spend an extra $100K to satisfy the weirdos? (By the way, count me among those - I did it via adjustable links).

4. An integrated bumper step would be nice.

Have you used one? I had a '14 GMC with it, and it was nowhere near, like not even in the same country, let alone ball-park, as the optional extendable step.

8. The fear of having Cornelius flame me for bringing up the petty items emoji12.pngemoji12.png

Sorry, can't help you there other than https://www.google.com/search?q=fla...rome..69i57.2748j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
D 'oh!

I'll say there are decent sounding I-6 as well. Even a good ol' 300 CID Ford or Slant 6 provide good enough rumble with an aftermarket exhaust, 4.0 AMC, S54 BMW just to name a few.

I'd never pretend I could get V8 levels of rumble out of my Pentastar and definitely not aiming for that.
Maybe decent sound was the word and there are decent sounding V6 engines for sure.

Not a deal breaker, otherwise the truck would've been long gone ...

Sent from OnePlus 7 PRO using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
Godzilla 7.3
Porsche cars are AMAZING!!!! I would love to order a GT3, but I don't want to claim bankruptcy. :insane: :rotflmao:
The Audi RS3 sounds pretty good too, but nowhere as aggressive as the Porsche cars.

I own a 987 "Boxster S", and have driven (for several hundred miles, in Germany) both a 718 "Boxster S" and a 991 "911" Carrera S.

While the 911 was by far the most impressive in all-out performance, if I had to choose (price no object) I would take my 15 year old Boxster. I'm not counting on the lowest track time for my salary. Love the sound of the 911 NA, but the handling is, while maybe up there in track time, felt ponderous. The 718 Boxster handled awesome, but the turbo 4 was, while up to the task - performance wise - disappointing in the audible department. I would seriously consider a more modern Boxster with an NA 6. But not with an entry price (I think it DOES come with tires and a plain black steering wheel) of $90k.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a suction cup mount, but ended up just putting the phone in the (apparent) phone holder on the dash console. This, because, even though I have CarPlay, it only works when physically connected via USB. So I have to plug it in to get any real connectivity. And in that case, virtually everything I need/want is available through the 8.4.

Get used to it. FWIW, 99.9% of Joe Public want a rake look, so why spend an extra $100K to satisfy the weirdos? (By the way, count me among those - I did it via adjustable links).

Have you used one? I had a '14 GMC with it, and it was nowhere near, like not even in the same country, let alone ball-park, as the optional extendable step.

Sorry, can't help you there other than https://www.google.com/search?q=fla...rome..69i57.2748j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
RE: Bumper. You are correct I have not used a bumper step. Are they too high? I can see better options as well.

RE: Rake, c'mon man, 99.9%?? That can't be. I doubt it is over 99.6% ,[emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
Godzilla 7.3
RE: Bumper. You are correct I have not used a bumper step. Are they too high? I can see better options as well./quote]

Too high for me. For sure a whole lot better than nothing, but the extendable step offered as a factory option by Ram is at least 8" if not a foot lower than the GM bumper step.

RE: Rake, c'mon man, 99.9%?? That can't be. I doubt it is over 99.6% ,[emoji1787][emoji1787]

You may well be right. I was probably slightly biased. But do a little research as to how many Rams are sold each year and calculate what the Number comes out to and then reply...

Last edited:

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Haha. I was just kidding ya about the rake.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
I do not like that remote start automatically kicks the defrost on. My 2015 would remote start where ever I left the climate controls. We get a lot of snow, and immediate defrost starts melting the snow on the windshield. I want it to stay dry and powdery so it wipes off quickly. In addition, the defrost is stealing heat from the engine. I want the engine to warm up as quick as possible, not send the little bit of heat it has to the windshield.

I wish this was selectable to turn on and off.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do not like that remote start automatically kicks the defrost on. My 2015 would remote start where ever I left the climate controls. We get a lot of snow, and immediate defrost starts melting the snow on the windshield. I want it to stay dry and powdery so it wipes off quickly. In addition, the defrost is stealing heat from the engine. I want the engine to warm up as quick as possible, not send the little bit of heat it has to the windshield.

I wish this was selectable to turn on and off.

Take your hvac system outta auto.

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
It is. I hit the "Off" button everytime I get out of the truck, but when I remote start in the cold the defrost is on full blast until I hit the push button start.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is. I hit the "Off" button everytime I get out of the truck, but when I remote start in the cold the defrost is on full blast until I hit the push button start.
Again, if you have the auto-HVAC then just take the system out of auto and leave your blower settings to where you want them when you park for the night.

But its weird how yours you say, always goes to defrost because another member posted a thread on here complaining that no matter what the weather is, how cold or whether there's frost on his windshield or not, he can't use his auto-HVAC to depend on it to automatically turn his defrost on to thaw his windshield because it always blows to the floor or the front-facing vents.

Maybe you guys should swap trucks....lol.