What DON'T you like about your RAM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
I put one in my garage. An industrial over the top one…..on ‘5’ setting it is just a blur! If it did come off, it would wreak my truck, garage and probably me too! I knew it was strong but………

Marmay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Number one, those little bitty tiny LEDs are hardly pulling any power at all and even if they were pulling a lot more power than that, you’ve got plenty other things going on in that truck that’s using a lot more of the battery’s power than just your dash lights so why is that even a concern? That makes about as much sense as my crazy ass ex mother-in-law who couldn’t stand to have her ceiling fans on high because she thought her damn roof was going to takeoff… Lol.
You completely missed my point,there is no a simple setup playing just the radio alone,got it? Hope so.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hemi tick is about my most frequent ***** ( female dog ) I guess.

Marmay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe I missed it too. So you can only play the radio for 9,999 hours instead of 99,999 hours?
Not the point at all,when you put the fob in,there is no separate section just for the radio alone,nothing else,no other light etc but only the radio screen and this was little surprise for me,but maybe is just me

Last edited:

ajs3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mines a 2014 express. Pretty simple, the way I like it with just a couple add ons. Crew cab, 4x4, 20in wheels, cold weather and tow packages. I bought it used in 2016 with 4500mi on it. Now have 82,000mi. No issues to speak of.
To the things I don't like.......the headlights are terrible, fogs are almost as bad. The brakes on a 5500lb truck are absolutely criminal. What cheap garbage. They got changed out after the first panic stop. The leaking third brake light, but they all do that. Other then that, I like the truck, still tight, 60lbs oil pressure and rides great.

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
I posted a while back but after spending a lot more time in my 2016 2500 6.4 Hemi with 3:73 I have n updated list.

1) Lack of towing power. I came from an F150 with the ecoboost and my Ram 2500 does NOT tow as well as that 1/2 ton did. This is a huge disappointment for me.
2) Rough ride. My truck rides so much rougher than both Ford and GM's comparable trucks it's not even funny. It's not enjoyable to drive.
3) Lack of ground clearance. I measured the lowest point and I have just under 10" of ground clearance in the front end which is less than my 3 previous half ton trucks
4) Fuel mileage. This is due to complain #1. If the truck had more towing power I could justify 12-14 mpg (actual not what the computer says).
5) Fuel mileage computer is way off by almost 2 mpg. My previous vehicles were all with one mpg.
6) Don't like having to go through the radio screen to turn on Max AC. Wish there was a button to push like there is to turn on the AC.
7) Downshifting when towing. It will downshift one gear and the engine will rev some but really doesn't help stop a load at all. My previous 1/2 ton would downshift to almost 4k rpm's where I would barely have to apply brake.
8) Remote start heat. Not sure when the heat kicks on during remote start mode but the other morning I remote started my truck and let it run for about 5 minutes since it was 43 degrees outside (which is pretty chilly where I live) to find out the AC was blowing in the truck.
9) MDS. Enough said lol. I was given a tip on how to disengage it each time I drive by (changing to manual shift) and that has been helpful because the sound the engine makes when the MDS kicks in is annoying to me. But still why MDS? I don't think it helps at all on fuel mileage.

I'm not giving up on her yet but guys I'm not impressed with this truck so far. Hopefully she'll grow on me.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mines a 2014 express. Pretty simple, the way I like it with just a couple add ons. Crew cab, 4x4, 20in wheels, cold weather and tow packages. I bought it used in 2016 with 4500mi on it. Now have 82,000mi. No issues to speak of.
To the things I don't like.......the headlights are terrible, fogs are almost as bad. The brakes on a 5500lb truck are absolutely criminal. What cheap garbage. They got changed out after the first panic stop. The leaking third brake light, but they all do that. Other then that, I like the truck, still tight, 60lbs oil pressure and rides great.
They must have done something different with the brakes on my 2018 because for stock, they’re pretty darned impressive and as far as the leaky third brake light, you just gotta go to Home Depot or Lowe’s and get some of that really good rubberized weatherstripping to go on there and your problems with that should be solved.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I posted a while back but after spending a lot more time in my 2016 2500 6.4 Hemi with 3:73 I have n updated list.

1) Lack of towing power. I came from an F150 with the ecoboost and my Ram 2500 does NOT tow as well as that 1/2 ton did. This is a huge disappointment for me.
Since you’re comparing a three-quarter ton pick up to a half ton F150, what exactly are you towing that towed faster behind the F150? But a lot of that could’ve been because of that very not so popular six speed transmission that those had before the new 19s that got the eight speed.
2) Rough ride. My truck rides so much rougher than both Ford and GM's comparable trucks it's not even funny. It's not enjoyable to drive.
Well, it is a three-quarter ton so what can I say. I don’t know exactly when ram came out with this but back when I was shopping for a new truck and at one point when I thought I really needed a three-quarter ton just for, you know, you never know when you might need something like that someday to where if I did get one, it was gonna have the rear air ride on it so that when you’re not towing heavy, you’re not gonna have that heavy duty suspension back there to beat your teeth out.
3) Lack of ground clearance. I measured the lowest point and I have just under 10" of ground clearance in the front end which is less than my 3 previous half ton trucks
Is it four-wheel-drive or 2WD? If it’s 2WD, I can kind of understand that and see that but if it’s four-wheel-drive, I don’t believe I’ve ever heard anybody complain about those not having enough ground clearance unless they just absolutely wanted to lift it for other reasons, just to make it higher for their liking but put taller tires on it. I think you can easily jump up to 35 on those four-wheel-drive three-quarter tons and not have to do any trimming or even lift it. You might have to put on a leveling kit but that should be about it.

4) Fuel mileage. This is due to complain #1. If the truck had more towing power I could justify 12-14 mpg (actual not what the computer says).

Get you a tuner for it. Being that it’s only a 2016 model, you might not even have to buy an unlocked computer to do it.

5) Fuel mileage computer is way off by almost 2 mpg. My previous vehicles were all with one mpg.
Yeah, that is a downfall of these trucks that the onboard fuel mileage calculator isn’t very accurate but yeah, I know, I know what this threads all about but I myself wouldn’t have even brought that up when if you really wanna know truly what your fuel mileage is, you hand calculate it and be done with it.

6) Don't like having to go through the radio screen to turn on Max AC. Wish there was a button to push like there is to turn on the AC.
Yeah, that is kind of ****** but you might want to go have your AC checked because we’ve been living down here in southern Oklahoma, the only times where I’ve ever had to go to the HVAC screen to actually put the AC on full blown max AC is only on a really super hot day.
7) Downshifting when towing. It will downshift one gear and the engine will rev some but really doesn't help stop a load at all. My previous 1/2 ton would downshift to almost 4k rpm's where I would barely have to apply brake.
Again, that’s that cheesy 6 speed for you.
8) Remote start heat. Not sure when the heat kicks on during remote start mode but the other morning I remote started my truck and let it run for about 5 minutes since it was 43 degrees outside (which is pretty chilly where I live) to find out the AC was blowing in the truck.
Uh, are you sure the AC is actually on and not just blowing cold air because nothing has warmed up yet? My truck even has the active grill shutters on the outside of the radiator that’s supposed to close completely when you start it up when it’s cold to help the motor warm up faster but even in mine, there’s barely any hot air blowing after just five minutes of idling.
9) MDS. Enough said lol. I was given a tip on how to disengage it each time I drive by (changing to manual shift) and that has been helpful because the sound the engine makes when the MDS kicks in is annoying to me. But still why MDS? I don't think it helps at all on fuel mileage.
Again, get you a tuner.

OP
OP
tones2SS

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I'm not giving up on her yet but guys I'm not impressed with this truck so far. Hopefully she'll grow on me.
@JerryETX
Check your setting for the remote start in the UConnect. Maybe it isn't set up correctly? Definitely check that first before raging out. Like I usually do. LOL
mine works awesomely. I use it just about every single time I drive the truck.

And yes,............the MDS is *** as ****. Stupid and annoying. Why buy a Hemi if you want the cylinders to cut in half. LOL I'm like you, I don't want that crap. The noise is even worse when you put an aftermarket exhaust system on the truck. I disable it every time I drive the truck. I have to, or I will get rid of it. Fast. lol

Good luck man.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Do you have Auto Climate Control? If so, it should be attempting to reach that setting as soon as conditions permit. 43° is not that cold out. I have my garage set to 42, and while I do remote start is, as I go into the garage so it has a chance to settle down before I drive off, it's only running for maybe 20-30 seconds before I leave. I have plenty warm air coming out within a mile down the road. And it's DOWN the road - I live at the top of one of the biggest hills around here.

If you have manual temp control, you need to make sure it's set to HOT before you get out of the vehicle.

As someone else said, I doubt the AC is actually on - the engine just hasn't warmed up enough yet. If I'm remembering correctly you have the 6.4 - that's many pounds of iron and water to heat...

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Since you’re comparing a three-quarter ton pick up to a half ton F150, what exactly are you towing that towed faster behind the F150? But a lot of that could’ve been because of that very not so popular six speed transmission that those had before the new 19s that got the eight speed.

I've pulled a boat only weighs about 4500 lbs and an enclosed cargo trailer that with it's contents weighs about 6K. Both of these I pulled with my 1/2 ton. It's not speed I'm after it's towing power climbing hills. Before buying this Ram I looked at the torque rating and figured 430 lb feet of torque in the 6.4 Hemi with 3:73 would be equal or better than 470 lb feet of torque with 3:55 with the ecoboost but after the disappoint of the 6.4 I looked at the curve and the ecoboost hits it torque in the 2700 rpm range where the 6.4 doesn't hit it's max torque until somewhere in the 4K range (don't remember exactly but it's close to 4500 rpm).
Well, it is a three-quarter ton so what can I say. I don’t know exactly when ram came out with this but back when I was shopping for a new truck and at one point when I thought I really needed a three-quarter ton just for, you know, you never know when you might need something like that someday to where if I did get one, it was gonna have the rear air ride on it so that when you’re not towing heavy, you’re not gonna have that heavy duty suspension back there to beat your teeth out.
I know it's not going to ride like a half ton but I've ridden many times in both an F250 4x4 and a Chevy 2500 4x4, both short beds like mine and both 4x4 and both gassers and neither one rode as rough as my Ram.
Is it four-wheel-drive or 2WD? If it’s 2WD, I can kind of understand that and see that but if it’s four-wheel-drive, I don’t believe I’ve ever heard anybody complain about those not having enough ground clearance unless they just absolutely wanted to lift it for other reasons, just to make it higher for their liking but put taller tires on it. I think you can easily jump up to 35 on those four-wheel-drive three-quarter tons and not have to do any trimming or even lift it. You might have to put on a leveling kit but that should be about it.
4x4
Get you a tuner for it. Being that it’s only a 2016 model, you might not even have to buy an unlocked computer to do it.
I'd sell it before I put a tuner on it. Not going that route.
Yeah, that is a downfall of these trucks that the onboard fuel mileage calculator isn’t very accurate but yeah, I know, I know what this threads all about but I myself wouldn’t have even brought that up when if you really wanna know truly what your fuel mileage is, you hand calculate it and be done with it.
I hear what you're saying but my take is if they're going to go through the effort of putting something on the truck it should work accurately.
Yeah, that is kind of ****** but you might want to go have your AC checked because we’ve been living down here in southern Oklahoma, the only times where I’ve ever had to go to the HVAC screen to actually put the AC on full blown max AC is only on a really super hot day.
AC blows ice cold
Again, that’s that cheesy 6 speed for you.

Uh, are you sure the AC is actually on and not just blowing cold air because nothing has warmed up yet? My truck even has the active grill shutters on the outside of the radiator that’s supposed to close completely when you start it up when it’s cold to help the motor warm up faster but even in mine, there’s barely any hot air blowing after just five minutes of idling.
Yes because the AC was on the last time I drove it the day before.
Again, get you a tuner.

Last edited:

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
@JerryETX
Check your setting for the remote start in the UConnect. Maybe it isn't set up correctly? Definitely check that first before raging out. Like I usually do. LOL
mine works awesomely. I use it just about every single time I drive the truck.

And yes,............the MDS is *** as ****. Stupid and annoying. Why buy a Hemi if you want the cylinders to cut in half. LOL I'm like you, I don't want that crap. The noise is even worse when you put an aftermarket exhaust system on the truck. I disable it every time I drive the truck. I have to, or I will get rid of it. Fast. lol

Good luck man.
I went through UConnect pretty thoroughly but I'll do it again and make sure I didn't miss a setting option for that.

Thanks!

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Do you have Auto Climate Control? If so, it should be attempting to reach that setting as soon as conditions permit. 43° is not that cold out. I have my garage set to 42, and while I do remote start is, as I go into the garage so it has a chance to settle down before I drive off, it's only running for maybe 20-30 seconds before I leave. I have plenty warm air coming out within a mile down the road. And it's DOWN the road - I live at the top of one of the biggest hills around here.

If you have manual temp control, you need to make sure it's set to HOT before you get out of the vehicle.

As someone else said, I doubt the AC is actually on - the engine just hasn't warmed up enough yet. If I'm remembering correctly you have the 6.4 - that's many pounds of iron and water to heat...
No auto climate control. 43 is definitely chilly to me it's what you're used to. Tomorrow our high is supposed to be 88. Saturday night low is 35. Hard to get used to 43 when it's in the 80's many afternoons.

Sash

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ram1500
the 5.7 HEMI !! it's time to get dumped . tween turbo straight 6 or smaller displacement v8 dual over head cam turbo would be nice , this 5.7 its getting old underpowered and inefficient
Edit : this is the reason I'm switching brands soon.

OP
OP
tones2SS

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the 5.7 HEMI !! it's time to get dumped . tween turbo straight 6 or smaller displacement v8 dual over head cam turbo would be nice , this 5.7 its getting old underpowered and inefficient
Edit : this is the reason I'm switching brands soon.
What are you switching to?
Toyota or Ford?

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've pulled a boat only weighs about 4500 lbs and an enclosed cargo trailer that with it's contents weighs about 6K. Both of these I pulled with my 1/2 ton. It's not speed I'm after it's towing power climbing hills. Before buying this Ram I looked at the torque rating and figured 430 lb feet of torque in the 6.4 Hemi with 3:73 would be equal or better than 470 lb feet of torque with 3:55 with the ecoboost but after the disappoint of the 6.4 I looked at the curve and the ecoboost hits it torque in the 2700 rpm range where the 6.4 doesn't hit it's max torque until somewhere in the 4K range (don't remember exactly but it's close to 4500 rpm).
Well, the 3/4-ton Ram is bigger and much heavier than that little f150 being that the ford’s aluminum and the only aluminum body panels that would be on the Ram would be the hood and tailgate if 2016 was when they started that so, being that it is debatable in regards to whether or not the Ram 392 6.4L Hemi is truly underpowered, that eco boost puts out a little more than it should. Even if that ford could pull all that a little faster than even my 395-horse Ram 1500 5.7 with 3.92 gears and 8-speed trans, that’s not a downfall on other of the two Rams- that’s just ford feelin’ like they have to go too over the top with just a halfton. I’m not saying a halfton never needs to have that much power but it doesn’t need to have that much power stock for the people who just basically want a truck to do normal stuff with the truck.
I know it's not going to ride like a half ton but I've ridden many times in both an F250 4x4 and a Chevy 2500 4x4, both short beds like mine and both 4x4 and both gassers and neither one rode as rough as my Ram.
Again, just because some ride smoother than others, it’s still a three-quarter ton. That’s just what it is but I’m curious, since what you pull is more than capable of being pulled with another halfton then why did you get a three-quarter ton? I’m not judging you, I’m just curious because I guess if it were me, I wouldn’t be buying a three-quarter ton unless something I was pulling was more than what a half ton could handle.
Those four-wheel-drive three-quarter tons sit pretty high as it is but generally if somebody’s taking that truck somewhere where they need even more ground clearance than that, they lift it and/or put taller tires on it and don’t even think twice.
I'd sell it before I put a tuner on it. Not going that route.
How come? It’s an easy way to get rid of that MDS and gain a little power and probably better shift points which would probably really help that six speed and I’m pretty sure in your case you wouldn’t even have to buy a new computer to do it because I believe it was 2017 when they started locking us out of our computers. I’m still tossing around the idea of getting a certain kind of tuner for my 18 that hooks up to my PCM but doesn’t reprogram it but I sure am glad that the MDS on my truck really isn’t all that noticeable in my exhaust sound because it was really bad on my 2008 ram 1500 but I was able to use a tuner and turn it off.
I hear what you're saying but my take is if they're going to go through the effort of putting something on the truck it should work accurately.
I hear you and I fully agree with you and I don’t understand why they arent that accurate but you know, I really don’t even use mine anymore and if I really want to keep track of my fuel mileage I’ve got a calculator that I can figure out my mileage exactly.
AC blows ice cold

Yes because the AC was on the last time I drove it the day before.
Being that you’ve already stated several posts ago that you don’t have the automatic climate control, that right there is your problem. If you know it’s gonna be cold in the morning, you’re gonna have to set your HVAC system to what you want it to do when you remote start it.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat