What Tire Air Pressure Recommendations - best ride vs mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanBen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Limited with ORP and Falkin Wildpeak A/T OEM tires 275/55/20.

The recommended air pressure posted on the door pillar sticker lists 32 psi and I am running at about 34 to 36 psi.

The tires look under inflated for A/T tires. Falkin lists 50 psi maximum but refers to vehicle sticker for recommended pressure. Also notes that the tire pressure can vary by 1 psi per 10 degrees atmospheric temperature change. Living in Upstate NY has large temperature swings.

I don't do a lot of off road driving but when I do the A/Ts are nice and also for the snow. I also don't do much heavy towing.

For everyday driving I want the smoothest comfortable ride with the best MPGs. I also of course want to get the most miles out of my tires.

Any recommendations on what others are running for tire air pressure for similar driving.

I realize I could add air pressure for the occasional heavy hauling/towing.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What max pressure is on the sidewall of those tires?

The door sticker reflects the pressure recommendation for the stock tires.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Looks like they changed the door sticker specs for 2019s. My 2017 Ram 1500 with 17s lists 39psig on the door sticker. I thought it was the same for the 20" wheels. If you go with load E tires, you don't exceed the sidewall specs, which can be around 70psig.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I would run 40 psi for the tires you have with load rating you have on those tires. I moved up to a 10 ply lt IT fire and run a minimum of 45 in them, but try to keep 50 in them.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're looking for a good ride I would not run the max air pressure. Mine calls for 39 and I run 37 cold. More air equals a stiffer ride. Of course the best thing to do to improve the ride is to ditch the A/T tires altogether.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
The Falkins ride very good. They came in mine as original equioment. I had to go to 20 inch runs to clear the brakes for my aftermarket rims. The 18 inch runs offer more sidewalk and a better ride. I sold tires for a couple of decades and scratch my head at people who put 22 + inch runs on. Very harsh ride no matter what air pressure.

Gondul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I also have the Limited with ORP and Falkin Wildpeak A/T OEM tires 275/55/20.

Been running them at 40psi and the ride is a bit 'firmer' with more road feedback, will be dropping them down to 35... 32 seems a bit too low.