What to check before buying 2007 Ram 2500 Megacab 5.9 SLT?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

charrito

Reaction score
I am looking at a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Megacab SLT 5.9 Automatic short bed. Never had a diesel before, what should I inspect? How to check for blow by? Anything particular about these 3rd gens 5.9's I should pay attention to?

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
How many miles on it? The 5.9 is a good engine if its still 100% stock and has been taken care of. Being you know nothing about them, it may be best for you to take it to a qualified mechanic to have them do a full inspection for you...

OP
OP
C

charrito

Reaction score
How many miles on it? The 5.9 is a good engine if its still 100% stock and has been taken care of. Being you know nothing about them, it may be best for you to take it to a qualified mechanic to have them do a full inspection for you...
235,000 miles but completely stock. No mods, no tunes, and not deleted. I know how to check gasser, never checked a diesel before. The only thing I could find in checking these cummins is doing the oil cap blowby test.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Your biggest worry on those 3rd gens is going to be front end wear. Ball joints, hub bearings, u-joints etc. All replaceable wear items but they typically would need replacing by now. The front ends are not as robust as the late 4th gens.

Given it is all stock is a great thing, the second biggest worry is some kid modifying it and running the **** out of it.

Of course I would avoid any north eastern rust belt truck as well.

OP
OP
C

charrito

Reaction score
Yeah, I can replace the whole front end. Any good replacement brands for suspension? It's all stock so should be good. Oklahoma truck so no rust.

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Loosen the oil fill cap and let it sit there while it’s idling. If it’s bouncing all over the place, it’s got blow by. If it just sits there, you’re good.

usmilret

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Those trucks are famous for steering wander. Test drive it and see if the steering wheel has play. Inspect the truck with a buddy to manually turn the wheel while you look underside. Steering gear box to pittman arm, inner and outer tie rods. Also check the lower ball joints if you can.
There is a coupling on the steering column shaft just under the dash. You should check that out for play as well. There is a pin going through that coupling that tends to move on you if the bushing has degraded.