Wheel hub bearing outer race stuck in knuckle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deus_Vult5687

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Hello everyone, this is my first thread on this site, although I have been lurking for awhile. Anyways, I have a 1998 Ram 1500 4x4 and am currently in the process of replacing the front wheel hub bearings (left one was shot, I decided to just replace both at the same time). I was able to change out the right side no problem since I had already been in that area earlier when I changed out the right front axle. The left side, however, was in bad shape. When I got to the hub/bearing itself, I found that the hub/roller bearing assembly had separated completely from the outer race and was essentially free floating in the knuckle. This leaves the outer race as being the thing that is stuck inside the knuckle, and I can't use a puller since the hub is no longer connected to the outer race and is therefore off the vehicle. Do you guys have any suggestions on what is the best thing for me to do next in removing the outer race? I read elsewhere that it could be possible to dremel into the race a certain amount to help relieve pressure, or try heating it up so that it shrinks a bit and gets loosened up that way (I don't know about this method though since I don't want to weaken the steering knuckle). Overall, I just want to get some advice before I try these more risky options. Unfortunately, I live in the rust belt, so lots of the the components on my truck are rusted together, and that is the main reason why this thing is stuck so good in the first place. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I myself would suggest cutting the part as a last resort as that’s your highest risk. if possible weld a couple bolts to the race and use a slide hammer. Welding will heat up the race so you’ll need to cool it back off before trying to slide it out but heating it up should help it free up

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had this issue on a Nissan many years ago. I had to take the assembly to a buddy who owns a shop. He deftly used an air chisel and got it out. If that failed or went south, a new knuckle was plan B.
He was able to get it out.

Last edited:

Mysfyt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Take your time with the dremel and you will be just fine. If you cut into the hub by mistake it is not the end of the world. Just clean it up with some emery cloth and install the new bearing.

Most of the time when you get close to the hub the bearing will start turning color from the heat letting you know you are close. By this time it will be thin enough to release the press fit and can be driven out.