Which coolant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2019 Ram Classic 5.7 needs a top off in the radiator overflow tank. So, I stopped at Oreilly parts and the guy checked the computer and sold me a gallon of Valvoline Xerox Dex Cool for Ford, GM, and Chrysler vehicles

He said from 2017 up, Mopar is using this Dex Cool. My neighbor said not to use it as Dex cool will clog the cooling system.

Help??? So confusing. Ugh!! Thanks

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
OAT the color options can be confusing. Just an example Prestone makes a universal OAT that is like a yellow green. They then have a universal platinum now as well which is 15yr/300,000 mile while regular one was 10 yr/300,000 then they even have an orange OAT for North American. I emailed them as I find this to be very stupid. I personally use the Prestone universal concentrate and mix it myself 50:50. I use this in every vehicle I maintain. From GMs to Dodge to Ram. It works perfect.

Some even say Coagulant free. Just make sure it is OAT and I doubt you would ever have an issue. As far as warranty you will see Prestone universal is made to become whatever color it is mixed with on their site. I don’t think they could have done a worse job making coolant options confusing.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
af.JPGaf1.JPG
68163848AB- Concentrate // 68163849AB 50/50 Pre-Diluted, IMHO, U do not want to mix and best stay stock, IMHO, not those multi stuff, again, IMHO...

Last edited:
OP
OP
zogg

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OAT the color options can be confusing. Just an example Prestone makes a universal OAT that is like a yellow green. They then have a universal platinum now as well which is 15yr/300,000 mile while regular one was 10 yr/300,000 then they even have an orange OAT for North American. I emailed them as I find this to be very stupid. I personally use the Prestone universal concentrate and mix it myself 50:50. I use this in every vehicle I maintain. From GMs to Dodge to Ram. It works perfect.

Some even say Coagulant free. Just make sure it is OAT and I doubt you would ever have an issue. As far as warranty you will see Prestone universal is made to become whatever color it is mixed with on their site. I don’t think they could have done a worse job making coolant options confusing.
The stuff they sold me does say OAT , so maybe it’s ok. I was amazed at the number of different coolants on the shelf. Seems like every manufacturer has its own idea for a coolant plus several different universal coolants. Really confusing and unnecessary. Ugh

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
It is horrible. They make you doubt yourself and it just sucks. I am thinking a lot of it has to do with everyone wanting to get money for certifications. I would trust Prestone universal in anything. Looks like on their site they also make autozone and super tech too.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Mopar is a dex clone, not dex cool, only use Mopar, if you have NOT used it yet, dont. They are both oat, but dex cool contains something known to cause gelling. GM's have changed their cooling systems to accept dex cool, mopar hasn't. Mopar and others took the bad ingredient out, that I know of GM stubbornly left it in and changed their system instead.

OP
OP
zogg

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got it. I’ll return the “ unknown” to Oreilly and drive 35 miles to the Ram dealer for the real stuff. This is a hell of a lot of bull to top off my overflow tank. Good lord. Such bull!!!!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Oat coolants are compatible with other oat coolants, that is why they asay they are compatible. But, dex cool additives are not compatible with cooling systems that didnt remove certain materials, like fca uses.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Got it. I’ll return the “ unknown” to Oreilly and drive 35 miles to the Ram dealer for the real stuff. This is a hell of a lot of bull to top off my overflow tank. Good lord. Such bull!!!!
But you were smart for asking the question. You could just used distilled water and order some online and then drain off overflow and put back mopar.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
When I had the coolant leak in the Jeeps, and had not located it, I would buy 1 jug of diluted, 1 jug of concentrate and 1 jug of Distilled water. When I went through the diluted I would put in half gal of water in the empty diluted fill it from the concentrate and then put the other half of the distilled water in the concentrate jug. The concentrate was cheaper in the long run.

At the time I was going through a reservoir a week of coolant, so 3 gals of coolant was not excessive. It like the old harley saying, they used to leak so much that you never had to change the oil, just top it off.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I drained all the overpriced Mopar junk out and use Prestone now. When you wrench on truck as much as I do having to use Dealer only crap gets old quick .
Normally I agree with this like 1,000%, but in the case of Mopar coolant is the exception. Mopar color alone is a benefit, mixing it will just give you something the color of purple ****. Then, you add that it is a 10 year coolant without 2-EHA (which stands for 2-ethylhexanoic acid). That is the additive responsible for massive class action lawsuits, no reason to put it in a ram, unnecessary risk. Having just mopar purple allows you to check coolant condition just by color and clarity, once you mix, that is done for.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The only exception are the HELLCAT lifters ;) besides that FCA will never see a red cent ever again from me.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
wiki...

Keep an open mind dude, all the oat coolants are keeping gm's additives out of their formula. You don't need this in a ram. GM's own documents say it is dangerous, but conveniently blames owners, lol.

According to the DEX-COOL manufacturer, "mixing a 'green' [non-OAT] coolant with DEX-COOL reduces the batch's change interval to 2 years or 30,000 miles, but will otherwise cause no damage to the engine".[26] DEX-COOL antifreeze uses two inhibitors: sebacate and 2-EHA (2-ethylhexanoic acid), the latter which works well with the hard water found in the United States, but is a plasticizer that can cause gaskets to leak.[18]

According to internal GM documents,[26] the ultimate culprit appears to be operating vehicles for long periods of time with low coolant levels. The low coolant is caused by pressure caps that fail in the open position. (The new caps and recovery bottles were introduced at the same time as DEX-COOL). This exposes hot engine components to air and vapors, causing corrosion and contamination of the coolant with iron oxide particles, which in turn can aggravate the pressure cap problem as contamination holds the caps open permanently.[26]

Honda and Toyota's new extended life coolant use OAT with sebacate, but without the 2-EHA. Some added phosphates provide protection while the OAT builds up.[18] Honda specifically excludes 2-EHA from their formulas.

Typically, OAT antifreeze contains an orange dye to differentiate it from the conventional glycol-based coolants (green or yellow), though some OAT products may contain a red or mauve dye. Some of the newer OAT coolants claim to be compatible with all types of OAT and glycol-based coolants; these are typically green or yellow in color.[17]

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Normally I agree with this like 1,000%, but in the case of Mopar coolant is the exception. Mopar color alone is a benefit, mixing it will just give you something the color of purple ****. Then, you add that it is a 10 year coolant without 2-EHA (which stands for 2-ethylhexanoic acid). That is the additive responsible for massive class action lawsuits, no reason to put it in a ram, unnecessary risk. Having just mopar purple allows you to check coolant condition just by color and clarity, once you mix, that is done for.
Some Mopar is an orange color and the same stuff. The thing is all this is hogwash. The only one you can’t mix with it is traditional green. You can use Prestone universal all day long with no issue. The Dexcool issue isn’t a think anymore either as far as I know they only had that issue when mixed with traditional green. I have 3 gms right now and use Prestone universal in all do them! Use it on everything when I replace the turbo actuator on my new Ram I will use it too! The color stuff is a riot. Look at the label attached can mix no problem. This is a dealer scare tactic if you ask me. Sorry I can buy Prestone universal concentrate for around $11 at Walmart. That means $5.50 a gallon for a trusted brand. The dealer crap is lowest bid anyway.

Attachments

• 047517A5-E6E9-49F6-9445-2C000BF7F01A.jpeg
    047517A5-E6E9-49F6-9445-2C000BF7F01A.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 7

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
wiki...
According to the DEX-COOL manufacturer, "mixing a 'green' [non-OAT] coolant with DEX-COOL reduces the batch's change interval to 2 years or 30,000 miles, but will otherwise cause no damage to the engine".[26] DEX-COOL antifreeze uses two inhibitors: sebacate and 2-EHA (2-ethylhexanoic acid), the latter which works well with the hard water found in the United States, but is a plasticizer that can cause gaskets to leak.[18]

According to internal GM documents,[26] the ultimate culprit appears to be operating vehicles for long periods of time with low coolant levels. The low coolant is caused by pressure caps that fail in the open position. (The new caps and recovery bottles were introduced at the same time as DEX-COOL). This exposes hot engine components to air and vapors, causing corrosion and contamination of the coolant with iron oxide particles, which in turn can aggravate the pressure cap problem as contamination holds the caps open permanently.[26]

Honda and Toyota's new extended life coolant use OAT with sebacate, but without the 2-EHA. Some added phosphates provide protection while the OAT builds up.[18] Honda specifically excludes 2-EHA from their formulas.

Typically, OAT antifreeze contains an orange dye to differentiate it from the conventional glycol-based coolants (green or yellow), though some OAT products may contain a red or mauve dye. Some of the newer OAT coolants claim to be compatible with all types of OAT and glycol-based coolants; these are typically green or yellow in color.[17]
Yes Prestone universal is yellow OAT and lasts longer than the Mopar stuff.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My Jeep JK is Orange MOPAR, The only reason I havent changed it is its still under warrenty. That will be taken care of next summer tho !

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You can mix coolants, you cant put dex in a system not designed for it, gasket materiel and stop leaks and adhesives all will fail with that ******* in your cooling system.

Orange Mopar is HOAT, nothing like oat and nothing like dex. Hope this info helps, if not good luck with it.

The OP posted info that he was sold dex, true dex, wuth that garbage in it. Not universal, which he could use if he wanted.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I think I remember they had issues with color deal because they had HOAT and OAT that looked orange. That is why color is a bad way to tell.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yes Mopar oat changes colors and sometimes the pink can look like orange, purple when cold usually, for sure a cluster f a k of a situation for a situation ripe with confusion.