Which of these is the likely culprit for my 'Parking Light Out' message?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bretthays

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Installed new lighting and now I'm getting parking light out constantly in the cluster.... I also just installed the 7" EVIC at the same time so I don't know when this started... I'm guessing the smaller EVIC doesn't pop those messages up...

I have already set everything to LED in Alfaobd, that made the stored messages go away, but Parking Light Out still keeps popping up. Everything DRL is on it's own feed from the fuse box so I don't think that's the problem

here is everything I installed that would be on with parking lights
Alpharexx Luxx series headlights
Alpharexx Pro series tail lights. (they have resistors built into them)
Opt-7 Tailgate Bar (plugs in through trailer lights)
Illuminated tailgate badge (it had a resistor pack on it as well)

I'm thinking the tailgate bar?

IMG_2942.jpegIMG_2943.jpeg

OP
OP
bretthays

bretthays

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Resistors.png

After doing some more reading it seems like the Alpharex Headlights are probably the issue... I've had them on for a week or two and hadn't gotten any messages but I guess that's because the small EVIC didn't show them. Ordered these and we'll see if that solves the problem.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Definitely not the tail light bar, as U have plugged into 7 Pin. Did U use a Curt connector to connect and not splice I hope.

OP
OP
bretthays

bretthays

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Definitely not the tail light bar, as U have plugged into 7 Pin. Did U use a Curt connector to connect and not splice I hope.
Yes sir. I’m betting it’s the headlights because they turn the parking light off on switchback. Resistors will hopefully solve it.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One setting I don't see people really try, is setting the drl location to the turn signals. It may take several hours for the settings to take in the BCM, but, it could be worth a shot to get rid of the errors without needing resistors.

OP
OP
bretthays

bretthays

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, after installing the 3157 resistors on the front marker lights on the Alpharex Luxx headlights I am still getting the parking light out message. I really expected that to fix the issue as they do turn the market light totally off when the switchback turns come on.. but no joy.

It seems like it's happening now when I hit the brakes, so that would seem to point to the tail lights or 3rd brake light. The 3rd brake light definitely isn't a 'parking light' so that wouldn't seem likely. When I installed the Alpharex Pro tails the instructions said that if you had factory led tails you needed an adapter... so I think my next step is going back into Alfa and turn the led tail lights back to No. I was getting the parking light out message before I made that change but I suppose that could have been due to the front marker lights which I have corrected and now it's coming from the tail lights... idk.. only idea I have at the moment.

alpharextailcnv.png

Last edited:

BigFrog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Strange thing about it, the message isn't stored in the truck, it just shows up on screen and disappears. In Alfa, it shows the error as shorts to the left and right tail lights. Now, when I use other Obd scanners, the errors don't show AT ALL. Been 2 months now with mine and I tried EVERYTHING (like you did). Let me tell you, I went back to stock everything and still getting the errors, so I went back to my custom (like yours) setup again. I've honestly come to the conclusion that something going on with Alfaobd and it's is tripping this "parking light out error".

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Strange thing about it, the message isn't stored in the truck, it just shows up on screen and disappears. In Alfa, it shows the error as shorts to the left and right tail lights. Now, when I use other Obd scanners, the errors don't show AT ALL. Been 2 months now with mine and I tried EVERYTHING (like you did). Let me tell you, I went back to stock everything and still getting the errors, so I went back to my custom (like yours) setup again. I've honestly come to the conclusion that something going on with Alfaobd and it's is tripping this "parking light out error".
It won't be stored on the messages unless it's active. The only way to read the codes triggered is through an app that can read the BCM, like Alfa. I don't have a set of alpharex lights, or I'd be trying some different settings to figure out what works and doesn't. There are a few more things in alfaobd you can change that may or may not fix the issues, such as drl drop out.

BigFrog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I said I tried everything, I meant everything. I've had 2 shops and 2 Ram Owner friends look at this, no go. There are no shorts (as reported by AlfaOBD) and all LED lights operational. Like I said, I took out everything and went back to stock lighting. I did physically and via programming - still errors. It only happens with the lights on. Hit brakes, error, hit turn signals, gets error. No lights on, no errors.

OP
OP
bretthays

bretthays

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are a few more things in alfaobd you can change that may or may not fix the issues, such as drl drop out.
I don’t have anything turned on in Alfa for drl, I just tapped an ignition on fuse location. Does that matter? I also keep seeing something about door ajar switch? What’s that about? I honestly wonder if turning the led stuff on or off even matters in a truck that’s wasn’t factory led because the sense wiring isn’t even there.

BigFrog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I tried DRL's on and off. Had them set to all the options in Alfa. Mine aren't dedicated, but they all worked as programmed, but still getting parking light out. I saw the door switch, tried it, same errors. I even tried the CBC Config I/O's with the LED in the description.

BigFrog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bretthays, just did an "Active Diagnostics" and select procedure to start, choose "Rear Left Turn Light" and what do you get? I get the same for the Right.

I get this on both left and right. Not the fronts, just the rear.

"Failed. Conditions not correct or request sequence error".

Last edited:

BigFrog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here's the screenshot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230202-183657.png
    Screenshot_20230202-183657.png
    184.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20230202-183804.png
    Screenshot_20230202-183804.png
    184.4 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
bretthays

bretthays

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bretthays, just did an "Active Diagnostics" and select procedure to start, choose "Rear Left Turn Light" and what do you get? I get the same for the Right.

I get this on both left and right. Not the fronts, just the rear.

"Failed. Conditions not correct or request sequence error".
I tried, and I got the same but the other options like left and rear turn/stop lights, rear parking lights, left and right those all work

BigFrog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2016 Ram configurations, the following options are available to disable bulb out detection on REAR FACING LIGHTING ONLY.
Method A – Recommended
Also new for 2016, all 2500, 3500, 4500, and 5500 can have rear bulb out detection disabled at an authorized dealer. If your dealer is not familiar with
this procedure, inform them that the sales code LB6 must be added to the vehicle using the “Vehicle Option Updates” tool. Once the sales code is
associated to your VIN, a vehicle reconfiguration must be performed with a service tool to update the truck.
Method B
As in previous years, circuit L950 is a blunt cut LG/WT wire that can be grounded to disable rear bulb out detection. This circuit, along with several
others, is found in location H which is underneath the power distribution center (PDC) next to the driver’s side fender. These wires are secured to a PDC
wiring harness with tear tape and can be pulled out for easier access. Note: These are the same wires found inside the fender for 2013-2014 model years
that were relocated under the PDC in 2015 for easier access. See “Upfitter Wire Interface Instructions/Schematics” of “Upfitter Electrical Instructions”
for more details.
Method C
If your vehicle is equipped with the Vehicle System Interface Module (VSIM) module (option XXS) there is a circuit W509 WR/BR that functions like the
L950 circuit described in method B. For more information on the VSIM module see the VSIM module information in the “ Electrical/Wiring Information”
section of the Ram Body Builder Guide.
Rear facing lighting includes: stop/turn lights, backup lights, CHMSL light (when equipped), and rear park lights.

BigFrog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I tried, and I got the same but the other options like left and rear turn/stop lights, rear parking lights, left and right those all work
I did some research and found that an older version of AlfaOBD you could disable the error codes coming from the taillights. I can not find it in a newer version. It looks like it's left out. It entailed disabling diagnostics. I'm going to contact Alfa.

BigFrog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the pdf with the diagrams and explaining it, but I can't upload a PDF file.