Which winter tire? (for Quebec winters)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ecosqueasl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
Have you priced Bridgestone blizzax, I worked at an OK Tire for a number of years and these were the best. Both for traction in snow and for the length of time they had good traction in snow.
A good winter tire should be soft and plyable after 4 or 5 years whereas a cheaper one may begin to harden up after the second or maybe in the third winter.
If you put enough K on to burn them off in 3 winters it's no big deal.

OP
OP
Giorgio_Rampa

Giorgio_Rampa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
Have you priced Bridgestone blizzax, I worked at an OK Tire for a number of years and these were the best. Both for traction in snow and for the length of time they had good traction in snow.
A good winter tire should be soft and plyable after 4 or 5 years whereas a cheaper one may begin to harden up after the second or maybe in the third winter.
If you put enough K on to burn them off in 3 winters it's no big deal.

I haven't actually.

I heard people say good things about Toyo G3 Ice, so I got those, but they're complete garbage lol! (this was on a Rav4 though, not the RAM)

Yokohama Iceguard's were actually good, then I went to Nokian for all my cars and never looked back.
However, the past 2 sets of Nokian's that I got, they start to dry rot pretty quick.

I'm starting to think they don't make the winter tires like they used to... hence why I was looking for alternatives

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't actually.

I heard people say good things about Toyo G3 Ice, so I got those, but they're complete garbage lol! (this was on a Rav4 though, not the RAM)

Yokohama Iceguard's were actually good, then I went to Nokian for all my cars and never looked back.
However, the past 2 sets of Nokian's that I got, they start to dry rot pretty quick.

I'm starting to think they don't make the winter tires like they used to... hence why I was looking for alternatives
You need to stop asking for opinions(their like @$$hole$, we all got one), and do some research on actual snow tires in real world conditions, and make an informed choice that makes YOU happy, and does what YOU want it to do.

OP
OP
Giorgio_Rampa

Giorgio_Rampa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
You need to stop asking for opinions(their like @$$hole$, we all got one), and do some research on actual snow tires in real world conditions, and make an informed choice that makes YOU happy, and does what YOU want it to do.

The point was to hear from people in Quebec to see what they're running and what their thoughts are on their chosen tire.

You're never going to find a "research" of someone (or a company) using all the winters tires, in Quebec, on a RAM 1500...

Any ways, ended up with Nordman 7 studded.
Thanks for the input everyone!

20231031_074857.jpg

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The point was to hear from people in Quebec to see what they're running and what their thoughts are on their chosen tire.

You're never going to find a "research" of someone (or a company) using all the winters tires, in Quebec, on a RAM 1500...

Any ways, ended up with Nordman 7 studded.
Thanks for the input everyone!

View attachment 531012

Snow and ice are the same on both sides of the border, and unless the tires are tested on an AWD, traction on said snow and ice in also pretty similar.

OP
OP
Giorgio_Rampa

Giorgio_Rampa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
Snow and ice are the same on both sides of the border, and unless the tires are tested on an AWD, traction on said snow and ice in also pretty similar.

Doesn't sound like you've experienced winter in Quebec.

I'd agree with you with every other province, except this one and possibly Alberta.
Winter in Ontario or elsewhere on the East Coast (in the States) is a joke and I would not even bother with studded tires there.

Also, studded tires aren't legal in all of Ontario (only the Northern parts), that alone is a hint that the winter isn't as bad as ours.

As for your articles, it looks like they walked into a Costco and tested what's available there... I've had the G3-Ice, Nokian R5 and Michelin X-Ice, they're garbage compared to a Nokian Nordman or Hakka series.

That's exactly why I made this thread. The only tire that came close to a Nokian was the Yokohama, my fault for not making that clear from the start.

The feedback that I was hoping to get was from someone that may have/had Yokohama on their RAM and if that same person tried Nokian Nordman or Hakka. That opinion would carry some weight considering they would have actually tried both and not read an article about it.

Any ways... I got the tires for a great deal and I'll be happy with them.

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Also, studded tires aren't legal in all of Ontario (only the Northern parts), that alone is a hint that the winter isn't as bad as ours.

While I agree with and respect everything you have to say in this post, I have to wonder about the above.

I visit Gatineau Park, Quebec regularly and Montreal/Quebec City now and again during the winter months and they don't seem any more harsh than where I live.

I suspect the legal limitations in Ontario are based more on government overreach than they are on winter driving conditions.

Driving on the Met in the winter always sucks but no more than the Queensway in Ottawa. :cool:

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I'd agree with you with every other province, except this one and possibly Alberta.
Winter in Ontario or elsewhere on the East Coast (in the States) is a joke and I would not even bother with studded tires there.

As for your articles, it looks like they walked into a Costco and tested what's available there... I've had the G3-Ice, Nokian R5 and Michelin X-Ice, they're garbage compared to a Nokian Nordman or Hakka series.

That's exactly why I made this thread. The only tire that came close to a Nokian was the Yokohama, my fault for not making that clear from the start.

The feedback that I was hoping to get was from someone that may have/had Yokohama on their RAM and if that same person tried Nokian Nordman or Hakka. That opinion would carry some weight considering they would have actually tried both and not read an article about it.

Any ways... I got the tires for a great deal and I'll be happy with them.
Just hope I can get a better deal than what I was quoted when I go in to get mine.

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I've had the older model of ice guard for 6 ish years. I live in Saskatchewan and they have served me well. Our winters range from -40c to +5. We get snow dumps to freezing rain.

The tires performed best in 4WD and I felt they did well in slushy and snowy conditions. They were decent on ice but in RWD on the highway (icy) I would have to slow my speed which is typical for a truck and non studded.

The tires still had 10/32nd tread when I swapped them out.

They will be leaps and bounds better than an all season or all weather tire.

I just went with continental studded winter tires.

OP
OP
Giorgio_Rampa

Giorgio_Rampa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
While I agree with and respect everything you have to say in this post, I have to wonder about the above.

I visit Gatineau Park, Quebec regularly and Montreal/Quebec City now and again during the winter months and they don't seem any more harsh than where I live.

I suspect the legal limitations in Ontario are based more on government overreach than they are on winter driving conditions.

Driving on the Met in the winter always sucks but no more than the Queensway in Ottawa. :cool:

Driving on the Met during any time of the year is horrible haha!

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Driving on the Met during any time of the year is horrible haha!

Agreed.

I used to enjoy driving on the Met for sport, very much about 35 or 40 years ago but not even a slight bit anymore.

Then again, after having lived in a rural area for the past 14 + years, I have no use for any of the 400 series highways in Ontario either.

When we periodically drive to Florida, we use ring roads and timing to avoid all the major big cities.

Mind you, some cities truly never sleep.

Udy2554

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Soon…

Hakkapelliitas!

View attachment 530584
I lied…IMG_9305.jpegIMG_9306.jpegIMG_9307.jpeg

I ended up buying another set of Kenda Klever RTs and had them studded!

I don’t expect them to perform as well as the Hakkapelliitas, but where I’m moving, I’m going to deal with deeper snow off road!

There aren’t nearly as many studs in the RTs, just the outer lugs! I’m hoping they’ll suffice!

Udy2554

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IMG_9308.jpeg
Studs pattern! Pretty minimal, but should help on any black ice! We shall see!?!?

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage