Whining noise from under the hood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sprayed93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm new to this site so hello all...

I have a 2005 Quad Cab with the Hemi 5.7. I purchased the truck in Febuary and am playing catch up on maintaince. This weekend I changed the A/C condensor fan. After changing the fan I began to notice a whining noise as soon as I started the truck. When rpm's increased so did the noise.

I removed the belt and the noise stopped. So I realized that the noise was coming from either the belt or one of the pullies. I began turning the pullies by hand and heard a grinding noise from the lower idler pulley.

I went to a local Auto Zone and found a belt ($29) and bought two idler pullies (upper and lower $18 ea.) Simple to do. Once the idler pullies were replaced and belt swapped out the noise was gone.

I did find some good how to's on youtube on diagnosing the noise.

Good luck to anyone with the same problem it's something you can do in your driveway.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
^^ I've said it before, but always check first for a little hybrid clown car trapped underneath when you hear a high pitched whine. :boxed: