whistleling 5.9

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elk-A-Holic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l Cummins
2006 Ram 3500 4wd 5.9i diesel 80,000 miles

Truck became hard starting--cranked excessively before it would start but ran good after it got going. Replaced with rebuilt injectors and crossfeed tubes purchased from Western Diesel in Winnipeg. Truck then started good but smoked like crazy . Used block off tool on fuel line and determined that injector #4 was stuck. Western replaced on warrantee but I did the work. Truck started and ran fine for about 600 miles where it started pinging and smoking. Blocked off fuel line to cylinder #1 and determined that was the stuck injector. Phoned western Diesel and was told I had dirty fuel and must drop fuel tank and flush out fuel tank and lines. (of course fuel tank was full). So did that but fuel tank was clean as a could be. Absolutely no visible contaminants. So suspecting faulty rebuilt injector I replaced #1 injector with a new Bosch. As I had the fuel tank off I also replaced the lift pump with one from Rock Auto. Now truck starts easily and runs well at an idle but when RPM gets up to around 1500 a whisteling noise develops and the engine looses power. Check engine light comes on. code P0148 which I understand is a lack of fuel getting to the high pressure fuel pump. Could the noise be from the pump cavitating? Noise seems to be coming from Left side and front of the engine. Cannot find any air leaks in the turbo air intake . Any suggestions ?

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
cavitation has a rattling sound. Like marbles in a can. I work with hydraulics alot. Havent touched a diesel in 10 years but i think your close by looking at the turbo. That whistle is probably all that glorious boost saying goodbye as it exits through misaligned pipes, crack or manifold bolts

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Elk-A-Holic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l Cummins
Thanks for your response. I will get out my spray bottle of soapy water and go over it again.. Still not understanding the p0148 engine code.

OP
OP
E

Elk-A-Holic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l Cummins
Update to above post so that if someone has similar issues. Whistle was an air leak around the back bolt retaining the common rail. (one of three bolts not torqued up properly). P0148 code was defective in tank lift pump which was putting out only 150ml of fuel insteadof the 450ml,10 seconds. Replaced and all good.