Whistling sound from blower?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chad Cunningham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I haven't noticed this until tonight, I'm not sure if it's new or if I just didn't notice (I've had the truck 3 days). But starting at around fan speed 3 I'm getting a whistling noise. Not super loud but noticeable. It gets louder if I turn the fan up though at full fan speed the airflow drowns it out a fair bit.

It does not matter if the truck is on or off. It does not matter if A/C is on or off. It does seem slightly louder when setting the air temp to cold instead of hot though. And if I turn on recirculate it seems to go away. All the vents are open and the sound does not seem to be coming from a vent. I removed the glove box and checked the door for the air filter and it is seated fine and pushing on it does nothing. The sound doesn't seem to be coming from there anyway.

To my ear it *sounds* like it's coming from high up in the dash on the passenger side, like maybe midway between the center console and door.

Also related note, there is no cabin air filter, though there is a slot for it, I assume if I add one it will be used?

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a dry leaf get into mine and it sounded like a bearing in the motor was going bad--turned it up to high for a few hours and it vanished.