Who wants to loan me $2,000,000,lol

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I love that year (bit biased since I own one - though not nearly as nice or a hemi haha) but not a fan of the vinyl top, color matching grille, and the billboard stickers - yeah I'm picky. lol

PS. I agree on the auto part

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Back in my early days,i blew up more 4 speeds then Carter had pills,usually after they blew up more then once Muncies/T-10's etc,they got replaced by an automatic,and every car was faster with the auto,then they ever were with a 4 speed. I'm one of those guys who grew up driving grain trucks in soft fields,so i never lifted on the shift,lol.
Plus an auto was way easier on the shoulders,a day at the track with a 4 speed was tough as hell on the shoulders,when you don't lift on the shift,lol

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Back in my early days,i blew up more 4 speeds then Carter had pills,usually after they blew up more then once Muncies/T-10's etc,they got replaced by an automatic,and every car was faster with the auto,then they ever were with a 4 speed. I'm one of those guys who grew up driving grain trucks in soft fields,so i never lifted on the shift,lol.
Plus an auto was way easier on the shoulders,a day at the track with a 4 speed was tough as hell on the shoulders,when you don't lift on the shift,lol
I grew up driving wheat trucks too! Learned to drive them when I was 12. I also learned how to break an axle when trying to back uphill in soft dirt with a full load. Bouncing is baaaaad LOL.

For sure, an auto can usually get you a faster ET. I did say muscle car not racecar though. :cheers: Race tracks are not plentiful where I live. And I'm not really interested in the quarter mile scene. So I seek out the roads less traveled around here for having fun. And the fun factor is much higher for me when there's a third pedal. :driver:

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I grew up driving wheat trucks too! Learned to drive them when I was 12. I also learned how to break an axle when trying to back uphill in soft dirt with a full load. Bouncing is baaaaad LOL.

For sure, an auto can usually get you a faster ET. I did say muscle car not racecar though. :cheers: Race tracks are not plentiful where I live. And I'm not really interested in the quarter mile scene. So I seek out the roads less traveled around here for having fun. And the fun factor is much higher for me when there's a third pedal. :driver:
Broken axles i can relate to,had a few of them happen back in my teenage years,usually in harvest when you were 1 truck trying to keep 2 or 3 combines going,lol.I was the oldest in my family,and my dad had lost most of the use of his right arm on a drilling rig,so i was driving trucks and tractors by 9.When i was finally old enough to get a licence,the old driving instructor told me i'd been driving long enough to know how to drive,so all i had to do was drive around the block and parrellel park in my moms car,and he handed me my licence,lol. 300+ bushels in the box on 8.25/20 duals in a soft field taught you how to shift,if you didn't make that shift from first and high to 2nd and low at lightening speed,you were starting all over again,lol

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I exploded a M21 on a 69 GTO Judge doing a holeshot.

The 4 speed in the mopars was pretty hard to blow and the 440 had a ton more power than the Ram Air III did haha.

I do like my ZF 8 speed trans though.

If I had a garage and spare cash, I wouldn't mind having a 318 Cuda with a stoked 5.7/6.4 with the 8 speed in - and AC of course! Just a cruising car. I wouldn't feel bad about doing that to a 318 car, maybe even a 340 car, but can't bring myself to do it to a factory big block 4 speed car! lol

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Being raised on a Farm or Ranch, you had to learn how to drive, some one had to do the heavy lifting & you were only 8, 9, 10, etc.
So you could not do the lifting, sometimes, your Father or Uncle would start the vehicle & put the vehicle in gear & let out the clutch & tell us to steer straight ahead & they would jump out & load the bales of hay.
They jump back in at the end of the field & get you going in the opposite direction, etc. etc.

Then one day, he let you try to use the clutch :)

The Right of Passage ................

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We learned on a go kart and lawn tractor cutting grass and rototilling the garden.

I feel sorry for kids today and back a decade or so, we didn't have much as kids but wow did we have fun vs. kids today that have every materialistic thing that they can think of but won't have many stories to tell their grandkids other than yeah I remember the time I won that video game! lol

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
One of my neighbors, buys up & fixes up Datsun pickups, then he ships them over to Guam,
I don't know if he is a mechanic or a body man, he is in business with his Brother, at another location.
He has a son that just graduated from High School, he walks with a hell of a limp, he recently has been riding a Skateboard, so he gets around a bit better.
There is a Skateboard Park close by at one of the High Schools,
I think that he just wants a car or truck, i have not noticed him working on much, just walks his big dog, looks like a Pit Bull, but also like a Bull Dog & always has a Smart Phone with him

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
We learned on a go kart and lawn tractor cutting grass and rototilling the garden.

I feel sorry for kids today and back a decade or so, we didn't have much as kids but wow did we have fun vs. kids today that have every materialistic thing that they can think of but won't have many stories to tell their grandkids other than yeah I remember the time I won that video game! lol
Same here, drove a tractor, built a homemade go-kart (never had brakes), an enduro motorcycle, and a snowmobile that sometimes kicked over backwards and would take off in reverse before reverse existed on snowmobiles. By the time driving with a license came along I had tens of thousands of miles already logged. Today it is GTA, good luck transferring that to the real world. :)

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Brakes on a Go Kart ?

We had a Briggs & Stratton 5 HP from a Snapping Turtle Lawn Mower
It had a 1939 Buick Steering Box, at first we were using the Buick Steering Wheel, then we got a smaller steering wheel from some where.

For Brakes, a bolt hole was drilled into the angle iron frame.
The bolt was used as a pivot point.
The Brake was a short section of 2 X 4, mounted on some angle iron.
The angle iron was welded together & formed an L.
When we pulled the handle part of the rig, it forced the wood to come in contact with the tire, it was not great, but if we used that, it would slow us down & we would turn the steering wheel & put the cart into a broad slide

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Being raised on a Farm or Ranch, you had to learn how to drive, some one had to do the heavy lifting & you were only 8, 9, 10, etc.
So you could not do the lifting, sometimes, your Father or Uncle would start the vehicle & put the vehicle in gear & let out the clutch & tell us to steer straight ahead & they would jump out & load the bales of hay.
They jump back in at the end of the field & get you going in the opposite direction, etc. etc.

Then one day, he let you try to use the clutch :)

The Right of Passage ................
Love it......we still do that.....a rancher friend down the road has an old Chevy farm truck.....I help feed some cows when they are short a hand.....we load up the back of that truck with bales......take her out in the field.....put her in first gear.....point her in the right direction.....jump out and jump up in back.....the cows just follow as we toss flakes of hay.....ya just gotta be aware when that ravine comes into view and get back in the cab to give her a turn! Fun times.