Why 22" Wheels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kardude9048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m looking at new 1500’s. Found a Laramie Ecodiesel I like, except it has the Night Edition, which includes 285/45/22 tires. Seems like the lack of sidewall would degrade the ride significantly. Am I too old school in thinking 22” wheels and 45% aspect tires are a bad combination for a truck?

I’ll keep the truck stock and use it mostly for long road trips; with occasional towing (6,000 lbs) and a little gentle off-roading).
I had "22'" on my '23 Laramie.... took them offf!! Put on 20's, nicer ride and selling 22's to anybody that wants 'em. They scuff too too easy at the drive-thru Jack-in -A box and I carried a bottle of touch-up paint to mend my errror

Trashy2121

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The suspension on a modern truck isnt what it used to be. Its a more comfortable ride and allows for better handling. The lower aspect ration doesnt fluctuate as much while turning and at highway speeds. You get the best of both worlds. It also comes down to what your preferences are. You could probably flip those wheels for some 18" and still make a few bucks.

GrandpaBob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just put a set of Rebel 18" takeoffs on yesterday. I posted before and after pictures for comparison. Even though I don't do much off-roading, I do a little, and was very uncomfortable with the narrow sidewalls of the 22's. I love having the extra 2" on the 18's. I thought the ride was good with the 22's but do believe it is a little better with the 18's, even though they are LT tires. I plan on replacing them with non-LT tires sometime in the near future (the takeoffs came to me with only about 25% left). After just a short trip, there doesn't seem to be any difference in MPG. The Wrangler tires do have a noticeable road noise hum which is to be expected.

There is less than an inch difference in diameter with the Rebels being slightly larger. The original set up with 285/45 R22 Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires is 83 pounds, the Rebel set up with LT275/70 R18 Goodyear Wranglers is 82 pounds. According to my research, going with a non-LT tire would shave about 10 pounds off of that. Would be interesting to see how that effects ride and MPG. Still debating if I want to do that. I don't do enough off-roading that I need to be too concerned about having an LT tire. I think it would definitely improve the ride (though it's not bad now).

The 18" rims are a very tight fit but there seems to be enough clearance. I can see how others have had trouble with the balancing weights rubbing if they aren't placed toward the outside of the rim. If you are considering going to 18", I guess you need to be careful about aftermarket rims not fitting.

If you're wondering why I originally had 22s (which I didn't want), you can see that story here: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/actual-tires-dont-match-sticker-on-new-ram.202164/

20231112_125341.jpg20231113_133618.jpg

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
One of the reasons I ordered my truck instead of taking one off the lot: I did NOT want low profile tires, especially on a truck. The reality is this: I would have ordered 16 or 17 inch rims if they'd been offered. I despise large rims/low profile tires on any vehicle, but especially on a truck. I now live in upstate NY. Every winter we get potholes that are a foot deep. You don't want low profile tires on unrepairable large rims when you hit one. About a year after we bought my wife's 2008 Solara I bought downsized rims and tires after she slammed a pothole at just 50 mph. The incident destroyed the front AND rear right side tires and rims. Downsized tires and rims for all four wheels cost about 20% less than replacing the two original rims and tires. That's insane. She never noticed the difference.

Low profile tires are not for most American cars and trucks on American roads. They're for real sports cars that go 100+ MPH on autobahn smooth roads. None of which is applicable here in the good old USA, where the interstates are falling apart around us. Only posers put low profile tires on trucks.
I ordered mine with the simple 17" painted rims. No point in getting fancy chrome jobs when I will never have the inclination to clean them.

1stindoor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'23 2500 MegaCab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I just put a set of Rebel 18" takeoffs on yesterday. I posted before and after pictures for comparison. Even though I don't do much off-roading, I do a little, and was very uncomfortable with the narrow sidewalls of the 22's. I love having the extra 2" on the 18's. I thought the ride was good with the 22's but do believe it is a little better with the 18's, even though they are LT tires. I plan on replacing them with non-LT tires sometime in the near future (the takeoffs came to me with only about 25% left). After just a short trip, there doesn't seem to be any difference in MPG. The Wrangler tires do have a noticeable road noise hum which is to be expected.

There is less than an inch difference in diameter with the Rebels being slightly larger. The original set up with 285/45 R22 Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires is 83 pounds, the Rebel set up with LT275/70 R18 Goodyear Wranglers is 82 pounds. According to my research, going with a non-LT tire would shave about 10 pounds off of that. Would be interesting to see how that effects ride and MPG. Still debating if I want to do that. I don't do enough off-roading that I need to be too concerned about having an LT tire. I think it would definitely improve the ride (though it's not bad now).

The 18" rims are a very tight fit but there seems to be enough clearance. I can see how others have had trouble with the balancing weights rubbing if they aren't placed toward the outside of the rim. If you are considering going to 18", I guess you need to be careful about aftermarket rims not fitting.

If you're wondering why I originally had 22s (which I didn't want), you can see that story here: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/actual-tires-dont-match-sticker-on-new-ram.202164/

View attachment 531795View attachment 531796
Anything bigger than a 20" is just wrong on a truck. Throws off the whole look, unless it's lifted...but then I expect to see serious off road tired.

CRS1968

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2023 Limited with air suspension. I put 285/55/22 tires on mine and they are great. The 22” wheels & tires look so much better than 18” or 20” wheels in my opinion.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
On my 22 GMC work truck the dealer put a set of 22 denali wheels and tires on it when new. Drove it with them for a year and hated it. I recently put on 18 wheels and Michelin tires and the ride ride improved dramatically but the MPG also increased by 2.5 mpg. The lighter the tire and wheel package will get better mileage.

GrandpaBob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2023 Limited with air suspension. I put 285/55/22 tires on mine and they are great. The 22” wheels & tires look so much better than 18” or 20” wheels in my opinion.
I thought long and hard about doing exactly that. I figured that size wouldn't have any clearance problems (I don't think I want to get a lift). My concerns were the added weight (about 20 lbs per tire), the resulting decrease in mpg, and the extra cost of tires that size. Which brand tire did you go with? Did you notice much difference in ride quality/noise or mpg? I'd love to see a picture of your truck so I can see what I woulda, coulda, shoulda done ;-) Although, it's actually not too late since I haven't put my 22s up for sale yet...

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You guys are arguing about a mile per gallon decrease, but yet you bought a $60K truck. Bwahahahaha! GMAB

CRS1968

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I thought long and hard about doing exactly that. I figured that size wouldn't have any clearance problems (I don't think I want to get a lift). My concerns were the added weight (about 20 lbs per tire), the resulting decrease in mpg, and the extra cost of tires that size. Which brand tire did you go with? Did you notice much difference in ride quality/noise or mpg? I'd love to see a picture of your truck so I can see what I woulda, coulda, shoulda done ;-) Although, it's actually not too late since I haven't put my 22s up for sale yet...
Put Toyo Open Country AT3s on at purchase so no idea how compare to original tires. Have 14,000 miles on them so far and very pleased. All AT tires get loud over time. These compare well with BFG KO2s and Cooper Discoverer AT3s in my opinion. No rubbing whatsoever except entry/exit level. Truck didn’t auto lift for whatever reason.

Attachments

• IMG_1378.jpeg
    IMG_1378.jpeg
    202 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1379.jpeg
    IMG_1379.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 17

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
You guys are arguing about a mile per gallon decrease, but yet you bought a $60K truck. Bwahahahaha! GMAB

What an odd comment. I don't understand what you're trying to say.
The price one paid for a truck has no correlation to their projected hopes of fuel mileage.
Fuel mileage is a game for some no matter what they drive.
No one is making you play.

GrandpaBob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Put Toyo Open Country AT3s on at purchase so no idea how compare to original tires. Have 14,000 miles on them so far and very pleased. All AT tires get loud over time. These compare well with BFG KO2s and Cooper Discoverer AT3s in my opinion. No rubbing whatsoever except entry/exit level. Truck didn’t auto lift for whatever reason.
Those DO look nice. Thanks!

Last edited:

GrandpaBob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hmmm - I didn't know we were arguing. I thought we were just exchanging information. BTW - I will admit to having mpg anxiety. See, I got the 33 gallon tank specifically because I thought it would be cool to only have to fill up once on my 1000 mile trip to Montana every year. Can't do that if the mpg falls much below about 17. Not a big deal I know, just me. Oh, and it's more like $70K ;-)

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What an odd comment. I don't understand what you're trying to say.
The price one paid for a truck has no correlation to their projected hopes of fuel mileage.
Fuel mileage is a game for some no matter what they drive.
No one is making you play.
Sure, everyone wants to get the best mileage possible. I just find it kind odd that anyone who spends that much on any vehicle even gives MPG's a thought. Especially by pinching a couple pounds off the tires they use. If MPG was that much of a concern, I'd have bought a mid-sized sedan. When I was a teenager and looking to buy my first car, my dear old pappy used to say, "Son, if the thought of gas mileage even crosses your mind when you're considering any vehicle...you can't afford it." He was right, you know.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hmmm - I didn't know we were arguing. I thought we were just exchanging information. BTW - I will admit to having mpg anxiety. See, I got the 33 gallon tank specifically because I thought it would be cool to only have to fill up once on my 1000 mile trip to Montana every year. Can't do that if the mpg falls much below about 17. Not a big deal I know, just me. Oh, and it's more like $70K ;-)
I understand. And I can't see myself paying even remotely that price for any vehicle. I would feel the need to wash it regularly, and that's not something I have the inclination to do. :cool:

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Sure, everyone wants to get the best mileage possible. I just find it kind odd that anyone who spends that much on any vehicle even gives MPG's a thought. Especially by pinching a couple pounds off the tires they use. If MPG was that much of a concern, I'd have bought a mid-sized sedan. When I was a teenager and looking to buy my first car, my dear old pappy used to say, "Son, if the thought of gas mileage even crosses your mind when you're considering any vehicle...you can't afford it." He was right, you know.
Fuel mileage has nothing to do with money in my case. After all I picked diesel which right off the bat is already more per gallon.
Again, fuel mileage has nothing to do with my money.

Joejoejoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My limited came with the 22” wheels on it when i bought it preowned. I wasn’t too crazy about them at first and planned to switch them to something different as soon as they wore out. At this point i’m not too worried about it. The ride feels the same as the laramie longhorn with regular side walls i was driving before. It does just as well with the type of “truck stuff” i do as the other one did. I load the bed with this and that, and pull my utility trailer a few times a month. I’ll see what i do once they wear down, but for now i think i’m okay with the 22s.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

Ever hear the phrase "mission drives the gear train"?

Would a mid-size sedan do the things you want/need your truck to do? No? Then it's a useless comparison because it doesn't meet the needs of the mission. So, instead you filter it out to the options that *do* fit the mission and then compare inside the category.

I compared max range and how many fuel cans I need to carry for given trips across multiple models when cross-shopping, not because of money but because mpg x capacity = range and range is flexibility and freedom to stop when and where I want vs where I have to because fuel is low.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ever hear the phrase "mission drives the gear train"?

Would a mid-size sedan do the things you want/need your truck to do? No? Then it's a useless comparison because it doesn't meet the needs of the mission. So, instead you filter it out to the options that *do* fit the mission and then compare inside the category.

I compared max range and how many fuel cans I need to carry for given trips across multiple models when cross-shopping, not because of money but because mpg x capacity = range and range is flexibility and freedom to stop when and where I want vs where I have to because fuel is low.
I get it.

When I was looking for a truck I made a mission list: 2500/F-250 model, regular cab, long bed, gas engine, max towing capacity, max cargo capacity, tow hooks, brake controller, bedliner. That was it. Then I compared Chevy, Ford, and RAM. As long as it wasn't pink or purple I didn't care about the color. There were absolutely zero other considerations. RAM was the only one to let me order my truck as I wanted; Ford and Chevy said I had to choose from the lot. So, I have a RAM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357