Why not a Bakflip Revolver x2 Bedcover?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
Thanks for a good post. Exactly what I was looking for. For me I would hope the longevity of the revolver x4 is as good as the mx4. It’s probably the same material on both. Not sure if rolling it reduces the life. Nonetheless I guess it’s speculation or are you aware of actually evidence that the material last longer in a folding cover. That would for sure make a difference to me.

To clarify on number one (and it is speculation), I assumed there is some sort of soft vinyl/pleather like material that covers the whole top that keeps moisture out and the pieces together. Here in Arizona with the lack of humidity and the barrage of sun that we receive I was worried that this material would just not hold up. The top of the hard covers are usually just powder coated/painted aluminum. My first Undercover Flex held up great after two years. My second however became extremely sun faded after less than a year. I switched to BakFlip specifically because of the sun fading on the last Undercover and also because I was unaware that Undercover had one that could be left closed while opening and closing the tailgate.

I have not seen a rolling one in person and purely went with the style I have been happy with, just a different brand this time. It’s not an insignificant investment so we should all be thankful that there are so many options and people can find the right cover for their needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TatertotScott

The man, the myth, the legend, the one and only!
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To clarify on number one (and it is speculation), I assumed there is some sort of soft vinyl/pleather like material that covers the whole top that keeps moisture out and the pieces together. Here in Arizona with the lack of humidity and the barrage of sun that we receive I was worried that this material would just not hold up. The top of the hard covers are usually just powder coated/painted aluminum. My first Undercover Flex held up great after two years. My second however became extremely sun faded after less than a year. I switched to BakFlip specifically because of the sun fading on the last Undercover and also because I was unaware that Undercover had one that could be left closed while opening and closing the tailgate.

I have not seen a rolling one in person and purely went with the style I have been happy with, just a different brand this time. It’s not an insignificant investment so we should all be thankful that there are so many options and people can find the right cover for their needs.

Having lived for WAY too long in the Phoenix Metro, I can second your hesitation to use any cover with a pleather layer there in that sun.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

dalton2425Texas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
It’s a hard cover, rolls up like a soft cover, locks, keeps water out, doesn’t take up any bed space when rolled, and is a good price from a good company?

Why would anyone want any different bedcover? Other than hard painted one or camper shell that is...

I see all types, especially folding ones and am trying to understand why somebody would choose a folding over a rolling, especially if the filing rolls up to hard cover...

Am I missing something?

I had a BAK Revolver X2 on my Ram for about 1 year.. I’m not sure if you could count my experience, but it is what it is.

First of all, I service and maintain swimming pools, so the underside of the cover (aluminum) took some chemical abuse.. The cover itself never stoped rolling and never rusted to the ground, although it completely oxidized, but about a month ago, the underside felt that is glued to the aluminum, came completely off due to the Texas heat and probably also due to the chemicals.. I could not figure out a way to properly glue it back onto the aluminum.. The underside felt is the most important part of this cover because it is where you put your hand in order or roll it up... Without it, the aluminum will pinch the hell out of your fingers..

Therefore, I purchased a gator soft roll up cover.. less metal for my particular needs (more concerned with covering my tools and chemicals)

One thing I will tell you, is back in February I took my wife and some friends to Colorado in my truck with the cover and it worked great in those conditions, except for one thing... overnight, when the temperature dipped below freezing, the cover would literally freeze together making it hell on earth to roll it open the next morning.. But, it held snow really well and it did every other thing I needed it to do on that trip.

Overall, if I didn’t maintain swimming pools, I would buy another one. Especially because I called BAK recently and they provided me with a complete hardware kit at no cost (mounting brackets, bolts, instruction manual)

All in all, I have owned 3 different types of covers and 4 total... (3 diff trucks)

Pace Edwards Switchblade Retractable
Access Vanish Soft Roll Up
BAK X2 Revolver Hard Roll Up
Gator Soft Roll Up

The Revolver X2 was definitely the sturdiest looking, best overall and most capable of all of them, but as with every purchase, it depends on your application.. I realized the less metal, the better for what I am using it for.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
N

nighthawk87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I had a BAK Revolver X2 on my Ram for about 1 year.. I’m not sure if you could count my experience, but it is what it is.

First of all, I service and maintain swimming pools, so the underside of the cover (aluminum) took some chemical abuse.. The cover itself never stoped rolling and never rusted to the ground, although it completely oxidized, but about a month ago, the underside felt that is glued to the aluminum, came completely off due to the Texas heat and probably also due to the chemicals.. I could not figure out a way to properly glue it back onto the aluminum.. The underside felt is the most important part of this cover because it is where you put your hand in order or roll it up... Without it, the aluminum will pinch the hell out of your fingers..

Therefore, I purchased a gator soft roll up cover.. less metal for my particular needs (more concerned with covering my tools and chemicals)

One thing I will tell you, is back in February I took my wife and some friends to Colorado in my truck with the cover and it worked great in those conditions, except for one thing... overnight, when the temperature dipped below freezing, the cover would literally freeze together making it hell on earth to roll it open the next morning.. But, it held snow really well and it did every other thing I needed it to do on that trip.

Overall, if I didn’t maintain swimming pools, I would buy another one. Especially because I called BAK recently and they provided me with a complete hardware kit at no cost (mounting brackets, bolts, instruction manual)

All in all, I have owned 3 different types of covers and 4 total... (3 diff trucks)

Pace Edwards Switchblade Retractable
Access Vanish Soft Roll Up
BAK X2 Revolver Hard Roll Up
Gator Soft Roll Up

The Revolver X2 was definitely the sturdiest looking, best overall and most capable of all of them, but as with every purchase, it depends on your application.. I realized the less metal, the better for what I am using it for.

Hope this helps.

Helps a lot. Thanks!

LVnight1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I love my X2, however the vinyl is beginning to shrink and the edges are "lifting up" even underneath where the tailgate meets the cover. Still waiting from BAK after I sent them pics and email. I guess they didn't account for the affects hot and dry weather would have on the vinyl.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I considered the Revolver when I was shopping tonneau's. I decided against it for a few reasons, most of which have already been mentioned. Mainly I wasn't really wild about adding rails inside my bed, which ruled out most hard top types. But also due to complaints about noise over time as it "wears" and long term durability.

Reality is I wanted the UnderCover Flex Elite, but so many reports of long term durability turned me away from it, plus the rail issue of course. Local shop put a bunch on our Jax FD trucks, and hand to replace them all within a year - the hinges just don't hold up.

I chose the Extang Solid Fold 2.0, again key point for me was no rails, which limits options somewhat - Solid Fold, Rugged Liner Premium (which is kind of a China built copy of the Solid Fold) and the Lund Trilogy (which is a re-branded Rugged Liner lol). Overall I've been happy, but it's not perfect. It's fairly heavy and unwieldy to handle by one person. The upper clamps aren't really accessible from outside the bed (the previous soft fold I could reach them for minor adjustments, not so with the SF - they are too far forward). But other than that it's been working well.

But I think every non ridged hard top (folder, roller, etc) requires you to make some compromise, whether in folded/rolled space, waterproof-ness, durability, etc. Sometimes I think I should have just gotten another solid hard top TBH.

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
I have the BackFlip G2, I absolutely LOVE it. I'm at 2 years with it now and I have not had any issues with it, looks brand new. Covers bed with stuff in it from weather, yet flips up in seconds to get out the way without taking up ANY space when I'm carrying/loading something bigger in the bed.

I'm surprised about the negative reviews on here, previously I had never herd any bad things about them.

Oh, regarding the rails, the new rails came in handy with it as it gives you a nice place to mount bed strip lights to. ;)