Truck bed rack, tonneau cover and Tent (with RAM boxes)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bluefieldpride

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT eTorque Engine
Dethloff MFG. truck bed rack: Searched everywhere for a truck bed rack that would fit short bed with Ram boxes for hauling our Kayaks. There is an option for tall cross rails to help with items that need to clear the cab or shorter cross rails for roof top tents. Ours are the taller cross rails for our Kayaks. It took a couple of months for us to receive the rack as they are custom made to order, were in high demand and we ordered during the early stages of the COVID-19 pandemic which impacted supplies. Communication with Marcus Dethloff was excellent through the entire process and he was able to hit our deadline date before we hit the road for extended travel. Rack came with easy to follow installation instructions and support for a handy, husband and wife team to install. Works great for our Kayaks and other uses.

BAK Revolver 2 tonneau cover: Works with the RAM boxes and our rack. Love it! It does take up more space than a traditional roll up cover, but I like the extra “security” of the metal strips (even if it may be only in my mind). (Side note/Warning, metal strips get HOT when rolled up/exposed to sun). It also will block some of the back window view when rolled up, but less than a flip cover.

Kodiak Canvas Truck Tent (model 7206): Fits perfectly (with a slight modification to the rails) on our RAM 1500 with RAM boxes, tonneau cover and Dethloff MFG. rack. Since it doesn’t have a floor in it, it just slides over the top of the whole setup. The side rails that the tent poles go into, normally clamp on to the rails of the truck bed. Unfortunately with ram boxes, there is no recess to clamp onto. Hubby extended the rails with some bolted on l brackets to each end, so they fit snuggly between the uprights of our truck bed rack and then bungee the L ends of the brackets to the uprights. This keeps the rails for the tent poles centered along the truck rail. The downward pressure from the tent/poles is enough to keep the rails “clamped“ down. Note: Make sure to get what you need out of Ram boxes before setup. We gave the tent a trial run this week in Joshua Tree NP. We unfortunately (for us) picked the worst 2 days of the week, which had Santa Ana winds with 30-45 mph wind gusts. Fortunately the tent performed superbly! While hunkered inside, if it wasn’t for the sound of the howling wind and slight rocking of the truck when a hard gust of wind hit, I wouldn’t have notice the wind. Other campers nylon ground tents were laying flat sideways on the ground and/or flapping in the wind, when they became unanchored from the ground. The Ramboxes, truck rack and rolled up tonneau cover made great shelves and/or hanging racks for everything we kept in the tent with us. What I love: 1. Able to still use the rack for bringing Kayaks (vs. roof top tent). 2. Being above ground from creepy crawlies without having to climb a ladder to a roof top tent. Downside: Having to take down tent if want to leave campsite in truck.
We ordered the tent from Familytentcamping.com on Sat. 1/22 and received it on Wed. 1/26. Very fast order fulfillment and no extra cost delivery.

Attachments

• 7A7FCC2E-ADA9-443A-9025-EA075AF6E458.jpeg
    7A7FCC2E-ADA9-443A-9025-EA075AF6E458.jpeg
    240.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 3E6B74A2-5F0E-459E-ABBF-B4014FFAD5DA.jpeg
    3E6B74A2-5F0E-459E-ABBF-B4014FFAD5DA.jpeg
    181.1 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

Cdrm03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I just modified my pace Edward's rool and lock to work with my magnum rack. Feels plenty strong to me.

Attachments

• 20220305_162157.jpg
    20220305_162157.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 36

Leona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
Hi I recently purchased a Ram 1500 with the Ram boxes and the Kodiak Canvas Truck Tent (model 7206), but I couldn't figure out how the rails would fit with the setup like yours, could you help me to take a picture or explain a bit more into the rails set up, please?