Why should I stay with RAM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My truck has been nothing but problems from the start. From the abs and the fan clutch all with under 52k miles. My dodge experience has been bad. Also, a simple google search on the 68RFE transmission tells you all you need to hear
And what would that be? That people tune them and blow them up? True.

Do the same reliability search on all of the STOCK 6.7 Cummins trucks with the 68RFE and let me know what you find. I've heard of little failures on the 68RFE if used as intended. If you really want to do a search on failing transmissions, go look up the Ford and GM 10-speeds. Then you'll really see what you need to see.

1710501028773.png
1710501078655.png
1710501165996.png

1710501220011.png
1710501245868.png
1710501265820.png
1710501284010.png
1710501299713.png
1710501325661.png
1710501348606.png
1710501368999.png

For the GM (it has the same complaints as the Ford):
1710502394190.png

The Ram abs module has been a pain for some, but not all. I've never had an issue with it. I did have a fan clutch go bad, but we're talking a fan clutch. It isn't made by Ram nor is it a huge deal. Fan clutches go bad on a lot of different things.

I certainly wouldn't dump my truck over a faulty module nor a fan clutch.

Attachments

• 1710501115441.png
    1710501115441.png
    72.9 KB · Views: 0
OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
What options do you just want in a Platinum that you wouldn't find in a Limited, or in comparison a Limited Ram?
The limiteds (both Ram and Ford) ONLY come with a diesel. I refuse to buy a diesel, so a Limited has less than limited appeal to me.

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
i say let him jump.
when people dont have the sense to do alot of research on $80k vehicles ,they deserve what they get.
...and this is part of my research. Getting feedback from people that have no compensatory angle is some of the best available.

Dutra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And what would that be? That people tune them and blow them up? True.

Do the same reliability search on all of the STOCK 6.7 Cummins trucks with the 68RFE and let me know what you find. I've heard of little failures on the 68RFE if used as intended. If you really want to do a search on failing transmissions, go look up the Ford and GM 10-speeds. Then you'll really see what you need to see.

View attachment 539430
View attachment 539431
View attachment 539433

View attachment 539434
View attachment 539435
View attachment 539436
View attachment 539437
View attachment 539438
View attachment 539439
View attachment 539440
View attachment 539441

For the GM (it has the same complaints as the Ford):
View attachment 539442

The Ram abs module has been a pain for some, but not all. I've never had an issue with it. I did have a fan clutch go bad, but we're talking a fan clutch. It isn't made by Ram nor is it a huge deal. Fan clutches go bad on a lot of different things.

I certainly wouldn't dump my truck over a faulty module nor a fan clutch.

My Dodge has a new problem every 20K miles or so LOL. Does this look like normal temps for a dodge?

Attachments

• 71832776288__5E6A0AFB-A4CD-41D6-B74E-265E7369829B.jpg
    71832776288__5E6A0AFB-A4CD-41D6-B74E-265E7369829B.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

marine0311

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Best wishes on whichever truck you purchase. I am not much help in this area. As for the previous 8 years my truck was my fathers '01 Ford F150 XLT. He retired from G.M if that says anything about the lack of quality from G.M products. I inherited that truck when he passed away in '16. All the horror stories about the 5.4 Triten engine, have not happened to that truck. I have only kept up my maintenance routine, and have only 1 complaint. Being extended cab is not enough room for more than 2 adults. With only 114,000 miles I would not hesitate to drive anywhere in that Ford if only my back could handle a long trip.
My wife and myself were searching for a low mileage older truck, as a $80,000+ new truck was not in our budget. Neither was any kind of payment, be it finance or lease going to fit the bill either. Any Ram or Ford crew cab V-8 4X4 would suit my family's need just fine. As we were taking care of my mom as well and needed more cab room.
We decided on a '15 Ram 1500 Laramie that had our minimum needs met with only 39,000 miles as a family and purchased it on Valentines Day this year.
Unfortunately mom did not get to ride in "Bubba" as her health was deteriorating, and last Friday my wife and myself said our final good bye to mom before she was buried.
I am still very much in the honeymoon stage with "bubba" as I went from a XLT to a Laramie. From 250hp to almost 400hp and the best ride of any vehicle I have owned. I never thought the ride of my '95 Cadillac Eldorado would be beat until now. I may be able to handle a long trip better now as well. I know "Bubba" sits 5" lower than "Baruch" (Ford) making it easier to get my wife in the passenger seat.
If I have any issues that arise with "Bubba" I will just remember that great '80s song by Nazareth called "Love Hurts" as I shell out the money. As of this time I have no desire to own anything twin turbo 6cyl. Unless its a Cummins. Nor a oversized golf cart either. If you or anyone else happens to love 6cyl on steroids, or a EV I wish you the best. I hope either of those choices work well for you. Just simply not for me.

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
There are so many personal issues in your post that no one can really advise you. I personally don't like to drive Fords, but that's my preference. My niece has the Ford 7.3 and they haul their huge travel trailer all over the country with no issues.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Oddly enough one of the RV families that I follow just had their 10 speed F250 go down with a trans failure. Saw it this morning. I'm trying to recall who it was.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My Dodge has a new problem every 20K miles or so LOL. Does this look like normal temps for a dodge?
No, doesn't seem normal for a Ram or any other truck for that matter. There are a lot of variables. How it's maintained, etc... I believe some 6.4s had some cooling issues as well. You were mentioning 68RFE transmissions though, and if you have a 6.4 you definitely don't have a 68RFE.

Dutra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No, doesn't seem normal for a Ram or any other truck for that matter. There are a lot of variables. How it's maintained, etc... I believe some 6.4s had some cooling issues as well. You were mentioning 68RFE transmissions though, and if you have a 6.4 you definitely don't have a 68RFE.
I believe its the 66rfe opps not the 68 but again not reliable transmission. Definitely not the aisin. I searched google and did a vin check. I haven’t modified my truck at all and have done a few oil changes and filter changes.I check fluids regularly and At under 55k miles there is not much to maintain. I dont tow anything. Just not a reliable truck

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldnt go with that 10 speed Ford. maybe step down for a lo mi 6 speed.
Ford vs ram same truck same money POSSIBLY Ford
RAM has the discounts at least 10K BACK of a Ford
Ram wins unless you dont care about cost
Then there's the possible trannie issue if you insist on buying new
Me i'd head to the ram dealer

Dutra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram has to give discounts no one is buying them lol

Floyd1979

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We are planning to trade in our Class-C motorhome for a travel trailer. While my 1500 technically has the capability of handling a 10k trailer, I do not want to be running near the limit for thousands of miles so I will be going to a 3/4 ton. I was just going to go with a new Ram because I've been so happy with my last 2. But the TT salesman mentioned something about Ford having a PowerBoost on their F150s and maybe adding to their F250s. This in conjunction with the fact that we are looking at Airstream and they don't have on-board generators, and the PowerBoost becomes either a 2.2 or 7.4kw generator. Turns out that option is not available on the F250 yet, and maybe never.

Anyways, it got me looking at Ford (and GM) to compare. What I found is that for a mid-upper range model (Laramie vs Platinum), for the same money you get a lot more in the Ford.

Most important to me are the engine* (7.3L, 430hp/485lb-ft) and a 2kw Pro Power outlet. Plus lots of minor things, such as a built-in scale, power tailgate (with a "tailgate down" camera), power running boards (appear to be not available on the Laramie even in a package), head-up display, wireless carplay, and the list goes on. Also, towing capacity is 1800# higher and payload is up 750# over Ram.

I drove an XLT the other day to get a feel for the truck and powertrain itself and was suitably impressed. Waiting to get to a Platinum - there aren't many around here in the sticks.

Am I missing something(s)?

*Same as we have in our motorhome and it is impressive.
10,000 LB TRAVEL TRAILER , no way with 1/2 ton either brand
I would not do it
That is 2500 territory all the way

daemonic3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L SO
Hello! I think I can help here, as a current owner of a King Ranch (optioned to the max) F150 Powerboost, and now getting a Longhorn 3500 SRW SO Cummins (short crew).

I have to work but will come back with why I'm updating and why I love(d) both trucks.

Aggie12

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997, now 2024
Engine
V-10, now 6.4l Hemi
I ordered a 3500 last June and have been driving it since November. I did not order a diesel - in my opinion, these are way oversold. I have the 6.4l Hemi and am very pleased with it. I tow a gooseneck dump trailer on a fairly regular basis.

The truck (LongHorn crew cab, long bed 4WD) rides better than my wife's platinum Sequoia. It's both quieter and smoother on the highway, even the wife agrees ! If I were considering a travel trailer, getting a gooseneck-type hitch is a simple matter (compared to a fifth wheel) and I've learned many of them ride better than the fifth wheel option, because of the hitch suspension design. This, according to the RV business owner I was quizzing at a recent Expo a couple of weeks ago.

The Ram was a much less expensive option than either the Ford or the GMC, for me. Ford had no trucks on the lot that I could look at, and an attitude to match (full sticker prices for a start, going up from there). Mark Dodge is on this forum, which is where I heard about the great deals ordering exactly what you want / need. The 3500 is marginally more costly than the 2500's, but I really wanted the capacity, and I strongly prefer leaf springs in the rear. I would look into it - and I would be careful with choosing the diesel, which adds 1000+ lbs and $10,000, minimum, plus a lifetime of higher fuel and maintenance costs. Many RV towers have found this out, to their dismay. If you're not towing every week, and your RV trailer isn't too large, you don't need a diesel.

I was going to add, the 6.4l Hemi comes with the beefed up 8-speed 8HP75-LCV transmission. This is the same transmission that is used in the big BMW sedans, except that it's fortified to handle the loading that the 3500 is rated for. My experience so far pulling the loaded dump trailer has been really good.

Don't forget to confirm loaded gross vehicle weights against vehicle specs to make sure you are insurable. Good Luck !

Last edited:

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I believe its the 66rfe opps not the 68 but again not reliable transmission. Definitely not the aisin. I searched google and did a vin check. I haven’t modified my truck at all and have done a few oil changes and filter changes.I check fluids regularly and At under 55k miles there is not much to maintain. I dont tow anything. Just not a reliable truck
The 66 might not be, but the 68 is a different animal altogether and is proven to be extremely reliable. The only reason a 68RFE grenades is from tuning it. Wanna know why you don't see similar grenades with the Aisin? Because you can't readily tune it. :) If you could, I guarantee you'd see more failures on those too.

Aisins are good transmissions, but that doesn't mean that the 68RFE is garbage. Far from it. IF I were going to only use the truck to tow heavy it would be the Aisin all the way but if the intent is to use the truck for both daily duty and towing a heavier fifth wheel part time I would choose the 68RFE because it has a much smoother shift strategy than the Aisin.

Sorry it's not reliable for you. It does happen, but it doesn't mean that the brand in general is unreliable from one experience. Just do the research and questions will be answered. :)

Last edited:

Newbeee2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
I have a ram 2500 while I have the power to pull anything I need to. What I didn’t think about before I bought my truck was that a limited slip diff isn’t the same as the last time I bought a truck. At least ford 150 can be ordered with a locking rear diff. I can get stuck on wet pavement.

Bighorn_Brown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There is no perfect vehicle unfortunately. As to the answer to your question… I would stay with Dodge because other options may bring unfamiliar/ worse problems.

I’m new to your forum, I yet to embark on all the issues experienced here. I know that Ford has its own problems because I got out of one for the recent Dodge I picked up. Wanted a diesel, but it was cost prohibitive. Even with the high price tag it was barely opted with anything. Couldn’t trade my very well equipped Expedition for a bare bones diesel.

Anyway, the EcoBoost has its many turbo induced issues. Thought I’d be better off with a naturally aspirated V-8. Your issue is different as your weight capability needs outweigh mines.

I contemplated an F-250, but came across multiple issues they are having. This made me look elsewhere. Not to mention the Ford technician’s resolution for an electrical system fault was to put a higher amperage fuse in place of the factory recommended rating. The icing on the cake was the noise coming from the rear diff. Probably didn’t help that between tuning/ dyno’s, and various other mods (Full Race intercooler, Full Race throttle body spacer, Full Race oil catch can, SPD downpipes, TurboSmart BOV, Accel coils & wires, I was pushing 400hp/ 703lbs/ft torque to the rear wheels. It was pretty nasty… until it wasn’t.

Vowed not to do that stuff again. Gonna keep the new truck like it is… clean and working as the manufacturer intended.

Also, as nice as my 2016 Expedition was inside (sunroof, navigation, leather, etc), this lower model Dodge Big Horn Night Edition is nicer in my opinion. I love the Uconnect!!! The screen is amazing. The Alpine system is nice. Though I swapped out my factory audio components for a Kicker sub, and Memphis Audio amp the Dodge sounds best it it’s stock form.

Everyone has their own version of what makes a great vehicle for them. Hopefully, your version gets you what you need, and make you a happy owner. Ford had me ecstatic initially. After that it would seem I was being disappointed each week by some CEL, oil catch can draining, or rear diff noise.

Last edited:

daemonic3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L SO
We are planning to trade in our Class-C motorhome for a travel trailer. While my 1500 technically has the capability of handling a 10k trailer, I do not want to be running near the limit for thousands of miles so I will be going to a 3/4 ton. I was just going to go with a new Ram because I've been so happy with my last 2. But the TT salesman mentioned something about Ford having a PowerBoost on their F150s and maybe adding to their F250s. This in conjunction with the fact that we are looking at Airstream and they don't have on-board generators, and the PowerBoost becomes either a 2.2 or 7.4kw generator. Turns out that option is not available on the F250 yet, and maybe never.

Anyways, it got me looking at Ford (and GM) to compare. What I found is that for a mid-upper range model (Laramie vs Platinum), for the same money you get a lot more in the Ford.

Most important to me are the engine* (7.3L, 430hp/485lb-ft) and a 2kw Pro Power outlet. Plus lots of minor things, such as a built-in scale, power tailgate (with a "tailgate down" camera), power running boards (appear to be not available on the Laramie even in a package), head-up display, wireless carplay, and the list goes on. Also, towing capacity is 1800# higher and payload is up 750# over Ram.

I drove an XLT the other day to get a feel for the truck and powertrain itself and was suitably impressed. Waiting to get to a Platinum - there aren't many around here in the sticks.

Am I missing something(s)?

*Same as we have in our motorhome and it is impressive.

First, the Superduty + Propower:
Back in 2020 when Propower and Gen14 F150's were announced, many of us realized how this is a game changer for off-grid camping. The 2kW Propower (gas engines) isn't really enough for true off-grid and the engine runs 100% duty cycle. The 2.4kW and 7.2kW are based on the Hybrid engine, which mates a 1.5kWh battery (more on this in a sec) to the 3.5L Ecoboost. That battery is NOT just a charge pool for the Propower, it is fully integrated into the drive train and will apply electric assist on-demand (typically will use stored battery energy to stay out of boost for better fuel efficiency). Then the payload hit info started trickling in from the specs. They give you a 300# GVWR boost when getting the hybrid, but the 7.2kWh Propower adds 600# curb weight (550# for the battery, 50# for the inverter and cabling). This is a net 300# payload loss.

Many folks said you could just get a portable 300# genny for the same net result. So let's talk about that. Even the best inverter-generator I would argue cannot compete with the 7.2kW Propower on noise and convenience. The 1.5kWh battery, since it is part of the drive train and must survive the life of the truck, is tightly managed to never drop below 42% SOC or go above 70% SOC. Keeping it in that band will make it last hundreds of thousands of cycles. If the battery was ONLY for the Propower, they probably could have allowed a 20-90% band of use. That being said, here is how the generator works: You get absolute 100% silent use of up to 7.2kW until the battery reaches 42%. Then it will kick on the gas engine. You have 2 choices here: 0.9kRPM idle or 1.5kRPM idle to charge faster. So you can balance sound vs how long it takes. I always used "Eco Idle" which does 1.5kRPM and only takes 1-2 minutes to reach 60% where the engine kicks off again. The time in between engine cycles is roughly several minutes (at high loads) to 45m to an hour at light loads (just to sometimes keep it warm even if it hasn't reached 42%). So keep that in mind if you are dry camping with neighbors, they will wonder why someone is starting their truck during quiet hours, but if you are isolated no one will notice if you leave it on all night. Lastly, people have run their entire homes off Propower for multiple days, while only using 1 or 2 gallons of gas.

With all this, yes it was hugely desirable and since only available in half-ton, you have to limit to smaller travel trailers. Since the OP mentioned a higher trim is desired, that could put you anywhere from 1300-1500# payload for a 4x4, or 1500-1700# for a 4x2. It is very easy to see why the dream truck would be a Superduty + Propower, which still does not exist 3 years after the half ton got it. I personally don't think they will every do a hybrid superduty (I don't think it mates well with a Godzilla, let alone a Diesel), which leaves adding a dedicated battery and inverter just for Propower, and at that point I don't believe it will ever be cost effective vs a portable genny and no one will option it. PLUS you take a gas tank size hit in order to have the battery. This is why if the OP is evaluating Ram offerings vs a hypothetical Superduty+Propower, I would not move to Ford because I don't think it will exist.

Now for upper trim features and comforts:
I am going to mention things that are DIFFERENT between my 2 trucks, not the things in common.

Ford pros: 1) Front driver/passenger massage seats. 2) BlueCruise hands free. 3) Full Pano sun/moon roof, not just over front seats. 4) Power down AND up tailgate. 5) Android Auto FULL screen (not just the nerfed half screen on the Ram). Note that OP uses Carplay which is full screen on both trucks. 6) Integrated tailgate step and work surface. 7) Many others that are more "gimmicks" than daily benefits, such as "work surface", hitch scale, park assist, fold flat front seats.

Ram pros: 1) Console storage (the column shifter frees up more room). 2) Digital rear view mirror. 3) Ramboxes. 4) Air suspension. 5) Digital instrument cluster is more configurable than Ford's. 6) THEY MAKE AN HD TRUCK THAT FITS IN MY GARAGE (this is a whole separate topic, but Ford/GMC/Chevy minimum length is too long, which Ram has a 238" length). 7) Rear floor bins.

Bullet #6 is what gave me no choice, so I'm switching to Ram and will find a new set of likes/dislikes, but will love the truck overall. That being said, I also love my Ford! This owner has not had any issues with anything mechanical in my last 2 10-speed Ford Ecoboosts, so I am only speaking from an issue-free ownership perspective.

Lastly, comfort of seats was mentioned as Ram advantage. I don't know this one yet. My King Ranch is easily the most comfortable driver seat I've ever used, and the massage (actually configurable rolling pressures, not a gimmicky "buzz") is great for long drives. I test drove a Ram Limited and had no issues with the comfort either, but if it can beat my King Ranch that would be great as the bar is set VERY high!

Hope this was of some use to the OP, and I didn't mean to open up arguments with this assessment. OP can PM me if this post invites too much noise.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat