Why should I stay with RAM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pscarbor

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2006, 2009
Engine
5.9, 5.7 Hemi, 5.7 Hemi
We are planning to trade in our Class-C motorhome for a travel trailer. While my 1500 technically has the capability of handling a 10k trailer, I do not want to be running near the limit for thousands of miles so I will be going to a 3/4 ton. I was just going to go with a new Ram because I've been so happy with my last 2. But the TT salesman mentioned something about Ford having a PowerBoost on their F150s and maybe adding to their F250s. This in conjunction with the fact that we are looking at Airstream and they don't have on-board generators, and the PowerBoost becomes either a 2.2 or 7.4kw generator. Turns out that option is not available on the F250 yet, and maybe never.

Anyways, it got me looking at Ford (and GM) to compare. What I found is that for a mid-upper range model (Laramie vs Platinum), for the same money you get a lot more in the Ford.

Most important to me are the engine* (7.3L, 430hp/485lb-ft) and a 2kw Pro Power outlet. Plus lots of minor things, such as a built-in scale, power tailgate (with a "tailgate down" camera), power running boards (appear to be not available on the Laramie even in a package), head-up display, wireless carplay, and the list goes on. Also, towing capacity is 1800# higher and payload is up 750# over Ram.

I drove an XLT the other day to get a feel for the truck and powertrain itself and was suitably impressed. Waiting to get to a Platinum - there aren't many around here in the sticks.

Am I missing something(s)?

*Same as we have in our motorhome and it is impressive.
In the past Ford "PowerJoke" diesels tended to blow head gaskets because they used only six head bolts per side. I don't know if they've corrected that or not, but Ford trucks have been notorious for years for poor quality. Dodge and GMC/Chevrolet lagged behind Ford but have managed to catch up and now they are ALL poor quality.

Good luck.

NotSoFast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
My recommendation would depend on how much towing you do. More than half of the miles on my RAM 2500 are towing miles. If you are planning on getting in a lot of towing, it's hard to beat a diesel. I owned a Ram 1500 ecodiesel, and it was sorta OK, but when it threw a rod a 33,000 miles and they couldn't get a replacement engine, I traded up to a 2500 with a Cummins Turbo-diesel. Wow, what a difference! Almost anything will get you up the hill ok, but the combination of engine break and exhaust brake is huge. You can stay off the brake pedal on an 8% grade and feel totally rock solid even with hairpin turns and crazy cross winds. I don't know about Chevy or Ford diesels, they might be just as good. But for ease and safety when towing, the extra upfront cost is not that big a deal over the long haul.

Maytag21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L eTorque
That IS a consideration. But it's just one more Thing to maintain. If I went that route I'd probably go dual/tri-fuel so I could plug into the RV propane tanks.
I was considering an F150 w/2.2kw Powerboost 3yrs ago when deciding on a tow vehicle for our 26ft 6k# travel trailer but the looks, ride and the interior of the 2021 RAM 1500 Bighorn were the deciding factors and figured I can just lug along a 2kw Generac generator for boondocking trips. After over 20 camping trips I would advise not to rely on the Ford 2.2kw Powerboost to power a travel trailer, our convection microwave pulls 1800w at peak and our portable Keurig coffee maker pulls a little over 1400w. Well the 2000w Generac lasted 1 camping trip and flat out died in the middle of the 2nd trip. We would only power the microwave or the Keurig separately never at the same time and handled everything fine until the first morning of our 2nd trip. Tried to Keurig some coffee and the small Generac’s engine would crank up like usual but that morning it cranked up then cutoff. Just figured the Generac was cold so I started it back up and let it idle for a few minutes before starting a Keurig brew, same thing! After the 3rd try at making a cup of coffee the Generac refused to start up the remainder of our 3day trip. We now power the camper with a Jackery 2000 Plus from the bed of the Bighorn and it has a 3000w inverter. I haven’t installed any solar panels yet to recharge the Jackery but instead I also carry along a dual-fuel Westinghouse iGen4500 generator to recharge the Jackery in the morning after 9am (campgrounds quiet hrs are usually 9pm-8am). The iGen4500’s electric start w/Remote is a huge bonus especially when it’s pouring rain. No need to step foot outside the camper to start up or shut down the generator. Even without solar panels I’m really liking this Jackery/iGen4500 power solution. The only time the iGen4500 is on during boondocking is around 9am-11am to recharge the Jackery. Then it’s silence from 11am till about 7pm when I crank up the iGen4500 again to top off the Jackery before 9pm quiet time.

Attachments

• AFD572CB-D279-4CF2-9799-E4D4C4AF07BE.jpeg
    AFD572CB-D279-4CF2-9799-E4D4C4AF07BE.jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 3DD76268-71C5-45B0-94D9-3532719A7E77.jpeg
    3DD76268-71C5-45B0-94D9-3532719A7E77.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 7

busman59a

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Like others have said go with at least a 2500. Towing will be much more comfortable, eapecially when stopping. A 2500 series in any manufacturer has a heftier frame, brakes and suspension

RickyJ108

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We are planning to trade in our Class-C motorhome for a travel trailer. While my 1500 technically has the capability of handling a 10k trailer, I do not want to be running near the limit for thousands of miles so I will be going to a 3/4 ton. I was just going to go with a new Ram because I've been so happy with my last 2. But the TT salesman mentioned something about Ford having a PowerBoost on their F150s and maybe adding to their F250s. This in conjunction with the fact that we are looking at Airstream and they don't have on-board generators, and the PowerBoost becomes either a 2.2 or 7.4kw generator. Turns out that option is not available on the F250 yet, and maybe never.

Anyways, it got me looking at Ford (and GM) to compare. What I found is that for a mid-upper range model (Laramie vs Platinum), for the same money you get a lot more in the Ford.

Most important to me are the engine* (7.3L, 430hp/485lb-ft) and a 2kw Pro Power outlet. Plus lots of minor things, such as a built-in scale, power tailgate (with a "tailgate down" camera), power running boards (appear to be not available on the Laramie even in a package), head-up display, wireless carplay, and the list goes on. Also, towing capacity is 1800# higher and payload is up 750# over Ram.

I drove an XLT the other day to get a feel for the truck and powertrain itself and was suitably impressed. Waiting to get to a Platinum - there aren't many around here in the sticks.

You didn't say what motor your looking at any motor that goes in a 1500 should not go in a 2500 if your looking to tow with it because a 2500 is so much heavier, 5.7 Hemi, or Eco Boost. You didn't say what area you live in northeast has salt/ calcium chloride during winter months electronics hate that. After that it's up to what you want like and are comfortable with.

Unoccupied Mass

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I would have seriously considered the F350 for my new truck, but I couldn't find any dealers willing to do much in the way of negotiating on price. I ended up ordering a new Ram 3500 Laramie from Mark Dodge. Even after the cost of shipping from Lake Charles, LA to Seattle, WA it was still about $18K below MSRP. I ordered at the end of December while the 10% off MSRP promotion was going on.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe its the 66rfe opps not the 68 but again not reliable transmission. Definitely not the aisin. I searched google and did a vin check. I haven’t modified my truck at all and have done a few oil changes and filter changes.I check fluids regularly and At under 55k miles there is not much to maintain. I dont tow anything. Just not a reliable truck
If you have done "a few" oil changes in 55k miles, I would say you have missed out on "a few" more oil changes you should have done!!

Dutra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have done "a few" oil changes in 55k miles, I would say you have missed out on "a few" more oil changes you should have done!!
Lol! I do them every 7500-8000 miles.

Oil isnt the problem. Always plenty. Its the faulty parts dodge is using.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If you need someone to shoot ducks and geese with let me know. If my dodge can make it
I appreciate the offer. A week from now I'll be living in AZ, and I have a possible line on a private club - in the desert. I'll have to get back to you on that. :hunter:

daemonic3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L SO
Hi! I gave a detailed response in a post several hours ago but I didn't know it wouldn't be visible because I'm a newbie here. So it's buried on page 3 now, you can see it here: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/why-should-i-stay-with-ram.207957/post-2894132

If the OP has any other questions about the upper trim comparison of interiors, features, or Propower, feel free to PM me. I've done a lot of research and would be happy to help. Again as mentioned, this is all from an issue-free ownership experience. I have zero insight into any of the reliability concerns others have pointed out of the various brands.

mpdavis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l eTorque
Doesn’t Chevrolet and GMC use the same 10 speed automatic transmission that Ford uses? One of those joint R&D ventures. I could be wrong but I did eat Himalayan pink salt today.
They are slightly different in gear ratios, but still based on the ZF 8-speed transmission that is in the Ram 1500. Basically, both Ford and GM added an additional gearset/clutch to the ZF design in hopes of improving fuel efficiency. However, the additional complexity, including the mechatronics and software, are the causes of the reliability issues. This is a point to consider, especially if you are towing a camper on a regular basis.

HawkSERE

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Judging by your post, seems like you’ve already made up your mind. So why bother talking you off a cliff? Hope your decision suits you well. Get what you like. Period.
Sounds like he wants to be talked down.

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just carried a 3500 watt WEN generator in the truck bed. Electric start, super quiet, worked like a champ, and it's for sale...
I was going to say the same. Get a big inverter generator. A dual fuel one would be even better. Then you can run a tank of propane. I wouldn't chose a truck because it can also be a generator. Facebook marketplace is loaded with generators all the time.

truck2569

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

As far as the trucks are concerned it is what ever the person wants. I find the seats in a ram more comfy than the fords since I will be sitting in them for hours on end while traveling. I enjoy the leg room But I'm 6'6 and 330lbs.

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
This is why if the OP is evaluating Ram offerings vs a hypothetical Superduty+Propower, I would not move to Ford because I don't think it will exist.
F250 currently has ProPower, although it's "only" 2.0kw. Still a lot more than 400w or the 300w solar power system on the Airstream.

rocke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
salesman says airstreams don't have generators???

pulled up the airstream site and they say several models do carry generators. maybe the one you looked at doesn't.

Snowchief

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sad to say Ram lately has been kinda stagnant in the heavy duty segment,especially the gasser. That being said the 8 speed transmission,coil suspension, and looks are pretty good. The u connect, air conditioning, all the mind numbing government nannies (that’s any new vehicle) are not so good along with ludicrous price increases. If you can, wait and see when Ram updates and re-powers the heavy duties.