Will this do the job?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lori Meyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
We are going to see a 2008 Ram 3500 6.7L dually with 4.10 axle. We have a 37 ft. 5er (about 15K loaded). Will this truck do the job?

The dealer shows a 3.73 axle in their ad but the VIN decoder shows a 4.10 so I'll go with that.

Thanks for your input!

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
15k loaded? You wont even notice that trailer behind that truck.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
A 15K trailer will have about a 2800# pin weight which counts against your payload.

Depending on cab configuration, 4 x 2 vs. 4 x 4, rear gear and bed length, the 2008 dually is rated up to 4850# payload (passengers, gear, fuel, tongue or pin weights, etc...), a Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating (GCVWR) of up to 24,000# and a max trailer weight of 16,200# depending on the truck's configuration.

The numbers vary depending on how the truck is configured.

Is it a regular cab, a quad cab or a megacab?

Is is 4 x 2 or 4 x 4?

Is it a long bed or a short bed?

Lastly, as you go up in option packages, the truck gets heavier which takes away somewhat from towing capacity. Is it an ST, an SLT or a Laramie?

Here's a link to all the specs on the various configurations of 2008 trucks that may be helpful to you when figuring the weights:

http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2008/docs/dr/mlup3500.pdf

There are some pretty good towing weight calculators online you can use to determine whether or not your truck/trailer/payload weights are under or over the max the truck can handle. The information in the link above will get you started if you want to do the calculations.

I'd say the truck would be able to handle a 15K trailer but I haven't actually weighed it plus the trailer and your truck payload. Of course, you don't want to be over the GCVWR if you get stopped and inspected.