Would 4x4 get me out if this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

acolic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi

I am working on swapping out my truck’s open differential with an LSD differential.

I really wanted a mechanical locker like an Eaton but for now I am going with an LSD.

Just wondering about the capabilities of the Ram’s 4x4.

Let’s say you were to skid your truck into a snow covered ditch: never happened to me.

And the only tire that has traction is the rear left, the rest spin. Will the LSD maintain power to the left wheel and allow me to drive the truck out of the ditch?

What if the only tire that had traction is the front left. Will I be able to drive out or will the front differential shift power to the front right wheel that does not have traction?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lil_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Power tech 3.7L
The LSD can be used as a locker under certain circumstances. By applying your brake you can lock your LSD unit up. It doesn’t always work as wanted but it can be done.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
The problem with the factory limited slip is demonstrated well in this video. The TCS can assist by applying the brake to the tire with less traction however and is enough for the majority.

If you’re changing the carrier, do it right IMO.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
In my Jeep I replaced the stock LSD with a TrueTrac after the stock friction plates started to slip. The TTs are helical gears (no clutches to wear out). Just like all LSDs, they will slip when a wheel has no traction or is up in the air. Not sure about clutch LSDs but a simple press of the brake and the it engages.

What I used to do is when getting slick I would put a click or two on the e-brake. Here is a vid showing when you put on the brake

OP
OP
A

acolic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What about the front diff?

If you’re in 4x4 mode and one front tire has traction and one does not will the one with get enough power to move the truck?