Y or x pipe?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamMatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm in need of either a factory y pipe or off road h or x pipe...suggestions and where's the best place to get one? No longer have original...does anyone have one here for sale? Would like to do a catback exhaust. Your thoughts and assistance is appreciated

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I think 99% of people are running the Magnaflow y pipe. Its about $30. Not sure of the exhaust tubing size on ur 2000. But theone were using is dual 2.5" in and single 3" out

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Magnaflow has what you need!

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
yea just get a magnaflow y-pipe and be done with it. No sense in getting a factory y-pipe cause it sucks palin and simple. you could go x-pipe if you wanted to go true dual but just a reg catback uses a y-pipe.

https://www.google.com/#q=magnaflow...90d9f792d65c42&bpcl=35466521&biw=1209&bih=639

Most of these guys posting probably don't know that a 2000 stock ram y pipe (or at least the one on my truck)...runs two 2 inch pipes into a collector pipe that the diameter of is 3.5 inches into the converter. None of the pipes are smashed like on later trucks.

True though...99 and earlier rams that have the two pipes going right into the converter...that blows chunks.

If you were to cut the converter (which I don't recommend unless you are racing) you have 3.5 inches necked down to 2.5 out the cat. That's probably good up to 300 rwhp.

Last edited:

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Most of these guys posting probably don't know that a 2000 stock ram y pipe (or at least the one on my truck)...runs two 2 inch pipes into a collector pipe that the diameter of is 3.5 inches into the converter. None of the pipes are smashed like on later trucks.

True though...99 and earlier rams that have the two pipes going right into the converter...that blows chunks.

If you were to cut the converter (which I don't recommend unless you are racing) you have 3.5 inches necked down to 2.5 out the cat. That's probably good up to 300 rwhp.

haha i didnt even pay attention to what year or section this was in. i totally missed that.:Stupid Me:

OP
OP
R

RamMatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so i just need a magnaflow y pipe with 2.5" pipes runnin out and or keep the factory muffler? i dont have alot of money sank in the motor...YET, thats about to change...but im wanting to have a subtle ride noise but when i get on it...i want one beastly sound...again no motor work done yet but for a stock 5.2 i wanna kill it when i start doin upgrades. so i just need to get a magnaflow y pipe on stock pipes? or do i need to do more? i also do NOT have a cat currently on the truck...shall i acquire one or just leave it off?

OP
OP
R

RamMatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
disregard i reread the thread response...i misread it. so no dual outs...just keep my single exit...now the question being cat or no cat or shall i get a cat but gut the ****** thing??

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
2nd gens seem to suffer a huge low end loss without a cat unless they are tuned for it.

Since your engine is stock I would keep the cat...which btw no exhaust shop is going to do anything with untill they install one. You'll need a lot more motor before you'll need to worry about exhaust mods.

300 rwhp from a 5.2...that'll take a TON of work.

OP
OP
R

RamMatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
well i have friends that run a place..they know i dont have one and theyll do whatever i want em to. i want to get a cat that will run with the y pipe and exhaust. im goin to do alot of mods over the next year. if i dont itll be because i wanna drop in a cummins and do axle swaps...what cat would you recommend to work with the magnaflow y pipe and what muffler should i use? i want a mean beastly exhaust...yea i know what you mean about loss of power bc my truck drags ass off the line. awful! i just wanna get a good exhaust that has a stupid mean sound. motor work will come in time.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
The factory converter and y pipe will fine for your truck. As far as loud, I can't help you there. I like my pipes mellow and quiet except during those rare for me pedal to the metal moments. I run a Maremont Vortex.

ParrotHead FA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
If you want a mean, beastly sound, there's nothing better than that unbridled mopar engine sound. I'd go with a set of headers, or even your stock manifolds, and a set of 2" pipes all the way over the axle and out the back. No mufflers, no cats, nothing but the pipe. 2" is small enough to give you enough backpressure over a 12-14 foot run so that you'll get an increase in power and fuel economy, and a hearty, crackling roar during acceleration that mellows out to a quiet rumble at cruising speeds. Sometimes my truck is so quiet once I'm up to speed and barely pressing on the gas that you'd never guess it has no mufflers, yet it's a real head turner when you get on it. I get compliments on how it sounds at least once a day whenever I drive it, and most are surprised to learn it's straight piped. They always ask what kind of mufflers I used, cause it sounds mean, and when I say, none at all I usually get a surprised look. I wish I had a sound clip I could put up.
Dave