2013 express every day towing 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

socalledchad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Picked up a ram 1500 with the 5.7 38k milescouple weeks ago...4 full size doors and the 5 ft bed...doesn't have the towing gears I think they are like 3.55 or something ..I have a 6x12 enclosed trailer I use for work..single axel and I tow it about 80 percent of the time...it only weighs 2500 to 3k..it pulls well..but it does take effort..I'm wondering what you guys think about towing this every day...will it kill my truck fast. ..I'm worried about it taking a toll .... is there any tips you could give me to help it last and shoukd I look into a v nose ? ...thanks

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you are pulling 3K tops like you say I cant see how that would be a problem. With 3.55 gears your max recommended tow is probably around 8K.

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You should be fine. 3k shouldn't be anything close to a problem for the truck.

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Does the trailer have breaks? That would be the only thing to be concerned with, and even then it would just wear the truck brakes faster.
I have a construction company and tow a 7x14 tandem weighing around 5k. I did it with a 2013 1500 for three years and had no issues at all. Towed it five days a week. I upgraded last year to a 2500, but that was mostly due to us exceeding the 1500's payload when we went camping with our travel trailer.
You should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I think you'll be just fine. I do recomend staying on top of your maintance, there should be 2 maintance scheduels follow the extreme or heavy witch ever they call it. More frequent oil changes earlier trans and diff service brakes ect if you stay on top of it you'll be good.

OP
OP
S

socalledchad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks. ..puts my mind at ease a bit....no trailer breaks...it's just a single axel 6x12 enclosed. 1280 lbs dry...need to get it weighed with my tools in it...3k is a guess...may be closer to 2300...

I just ordered an intake...and thinking about replacing the y pipe everyone is talking about for air flow...is this helpful? ..it's either that or im going to put a dual in dual out exaust on and do away with the y complely ....not ..what do you think? Not going for hot rod..I just want to make it as easy on the truck as possible.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Your engine needs some back pressure for power.
Free flowing Muffler would add more power than Y-pipe, unless doing headers.
3K trailer ain't squat, don't sweat it.
Drive like you have a brain, don't rap out the RPM's and the truck will be fine.

Google Cold Air box mod. Basically you drill a 3" hole in bottom of OEM box, add a collar and Dryer vent pip to below the front bumper. $30 and pretty much more air flow than $300 intake.

OEM Air box delivers all the air you need, except for high RPM"s, which 99% of us are hardly ever in, for more than a split second or three. Does add more acceleration during interstate speed passing. about it. CAI make your engine SOUND louder, which makes you think it is really doing something, which it ain't.