2016 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.21 Axle Towing Capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nbb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I recently purchased a 2016 Ram 1500 with a 5.7L Hemi, 4X2, 3.21 axle and A8 8HP70 transmission. The rated GVWR is 6,900 but the actual will be about 5,950 with passengers and full tank of fuel. The rated GCWR is 13,800 and the maximum tow rating is 8,210. My question is can a tow a travel trailer with an actual loaded GVW of about 7,000 pounds? Second question would be would it be worth it to change out my axle to a 3.92 ratio to up the GCWR to 15,950 pounds? Not sure what that would cost so if anyone has an idea I would appreciate that as well. Haven't purchased the trailer yet as I wanted to ask the questions before I committed as I knew I was getting close to maxing out. Thanks!

muzupan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram1500 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently purchased a 2016 Ram 1500 with a 5.7L Hemi, 4X2, 3.21 axle and A8 8HP70 transmission. The rated GVWR is 6,900 but the actual will be about 5,950 with passengers and full tank of fuel. The rated GCWR is 13,800 and the maximum tow rating is 8,210. My question is can a tow a travel trailer with an actual loaded GVW of about 7,000 pounds? Second question would be would it be worth it to change out my axle to a 3.92 ratio to up the GCWR to 15,950 pounds? Not sure what that would cost so if anyone has an idea I would appreciate that as well. Haven't purchased the trailer yet as I wanted to ask the questions before I committed as I knew I was getting close to maxing out. Thanks!

As far as power The Ram will pull the trailer just fine. I pulled a 30 foot 7200 pound trailer with my ram with the same set up. I did upgrade were 2500 ram because, for me, the truck just was not heavy enough especially in strong winds. Changing the axle would be expensive and since it did not come from the factory it would not legally increase the GCWR.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As far as power The Ram will pull the trailer just fine. I pulled a 30 foot 7200 pound trailer with my ram with the same set up. I did upgrade were 2500 ram because, for me, the truck just was not heavy enough especially in strong winds. Changing the axle would be expensive and since it did not come from the factory it would not legally increase the GCWR.

Changing the gears would be cheaper....but once it is bought, legally nothing you do can change the tow ratings.

What is the payload rating for the truck ?? you should have 700-1050 lbs of tongue weight for that trailer, and that will be the problem.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Good advice so far - the limiting factor will be payload. I commend you for doing the research and asking the questions ahead of time. It looks like you are planning for about 1000# of people and gear in the truck before attaching the trailer. That weight in the truck comes directly off of available payload so you'll likely be over. Although, as a 4X2 your truck should have a reasonably high payload as far as 1500s go. I'd guess around 1500#. The exact number is on a sticker on the door jamb.

Being a 4X2 the re-gear would be cheaper than 4X4 which makes the hauling better but does nothing for the payload. There are really two considerations with trucks and towing. One is how much it can haul (GCWR, engine, tranny, gearing, etc.), the other is what it can carry (payload, suspension, etc.). Running over either number leads to an incorrect and potentially unsafe setup. Dealers and manufacturers don't go out of their way to educate you on this.... they just want to sell trucks.

OP
OP
N

nbb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The GVWR is 6,900 which restricts cargo to 1,669 pounds. Trailer brochure indicates a hitch weight of 720 so IF this is correct I would be at 6,670 estimated GVW of the 6,900 (96 2/3%) or using 1,439 or the 1,669 pounds available for cargo (86%). If the hitch weight turns out to be 15% or 1,050 pounds instead of 720 my estimated GVW would be 7,000 pounds and I would be over by about 100 pounds. I'm starting to think that I am just too close to being maxed out for this to work with any degree of comfort. Your thoughts? I am suspicious that manufacturers low ball their weights while Dodge on the other end of the spectrum is a bit optimistic about theirs.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Dodges have low payload ratings due to the coil spring rear. My 15, 1500 Silverado crew cab 4x4 had 1704 lbs of payload.

My TT is around 6k. With my wife, 2 boys and all the gear i felt like i could reasonably go another 500-1k in loaded trailer weight, but that would be maxes out. Plenty of power though, no doubt about that. The payload was the issue. I had the 3.42 gears also. A quick rule of thumb i follow, is i try not to go more than 80% of the truck tow rating with trailer GVWR.

But that's just me. I like more margin than most and you can see what I'm driving now. The 1500 felt too maxed out and were thinking about going to a 30 foot, 7500 lb GVWR TT and i didn't think the Chevy would be enough truck for that.

Honestly , i think your too close to your max with that rig. I'd try to stay under 25' overall and under 6k GVWR if i were you. Good luck.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The GVWR is 6,900 which restricts cargo to 1,669 pounds. Trailer brochure indicates a hitch weight of 720 so IF this is correct I would be at 6,670 estimated GVW of the 6,900 (96 2/3%) or using 1,439 or the 1,669 pounds available for cargo (86%). If the hitch weight turns out to be 15% or 1,050 pounds instead of 720 my estimated GVW would be 7,000 pounds and I would be over by about 100 pounds. I'm starting to think that I am just too close to being maxed out for this to work with any degree of comfort. Your thoughts? I am suspicious that manufacturers low ball their weights while Dodge on the other end of the spectrum is a bit optimistic about theirs.

You keep saying GVWR.....What does the door jamb sticker say the payload is ???

OP
OP
N

nbb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Door jam sticker say 1,669 pounds.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
If you have nearly 1700lb of pay, and your sure the loaded trailer weight is 7k, then yes, , i think your truck can do that, but you still need to check your weights and how you load your truck to ensure your not over the payload limit. It goes very quickly once you start subtracting weight of occupants, gear in the truck cab and bed, weight of the wdh itself, trailer tongue weight, (which you should figure around 13 or so% of loaded trailer weight ) etc.

Ultimately it is your choice, but i don't know how long you'll be happy with that much weight with your truck. You may be perfectly fine. Everyone is different. Good luck

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

x2

Went from 5.7L 8spd 3.21 pulling a 7500 lbs 30ft sail to a 2500 6.4L. The 5.7L could do it no problem but the chassis was at its limit IMO even with upgrading to LT tires and load adjusting rear shocks. Truck is now heavier than trailer and towing is a breeze.

joe Parsons

Reaction score
Ram Year
don't have one
Engine
don't have one
I am new and don't know how create a post so I am asking here. Looking for clarification on GCVW. Looking at a Ram 1500 with hemi and 3.21 axle ratio. Max GCVW is 14,000 lbs with curb weight of 5000 lbs leaving 9000 miles for tow trailer and cargo including occupants. My question is do I need to deduct the tongue weight of the trailer along with occupants/cargo when determining what weight trailer i can tow? And is it advisable to not max the GCVW?
Thanks in advance

Toddbigboytruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am new and don't know how create a post so I am asking here. Looking for clarification on GCVW. Looking at a Ram 1500 with hemi and 3.21 axle ratio. Max GCVW is 14,000 lbs with curb weight of 5000 lbs leaving 9000 miles for tow trailer and cargo including occupants. My question is do I need to deduct the tongue weight of the trailer along with occupants/cargo when determining what weight trailer i can tow? And is it advisable to not max the GCVW?
Thanks in advance
You have done a great job of posting. And welcome. And hang on you will be getting lots of information.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks in advance

To address the question, no the tongue weight is part of the trailer weight. The TW is split between the axle(s) and the tongue. The truck incl occupants and cargo plus the trailer weight shouldn't exceed the GCVW. Where the tongue weight comes into play in relation to the tow vehicle is that the tongue weight counts against the payload of the vehicle. E.g. if the truck is rated at 7000 lbs GVWR (not GCVW) and it weighs 6700 lbs with 5 people and cargo there is only 300 lbs left for tongue weight which is to little for any sizable trailer.

As to maxing out the combined weight rating, opinions vary wildly. The problem is that it is a *weight* rating, not a size rating. Pulling a dump trailer or flatbed with lumber or similar is different from pulling a 30ft travel trailer. Personally I'd have no issue maxing the GCVW with relatively short and low utility trailers, a tall and long travel trailer not so much.

joe Parsons

Reaction score
Ram Year
don't have one
Engine
don't have one
Thanks Csuder99. It appears the 3.92 for a 95.00 upcharge will take alot of questions off the table. Seems there are not many options that include the 3.92 available on the market sadly enough

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD

You will be nearly maxed out on most of your weights but I think if you are going to be doing this just a few times a year you will be alright. With that much weight I would suggest air bags to keep it from porpoising on bumps. Re-gear for a 2 wheel drive will run you about 1,200-$1,500 & would make big difference in your pulling power. But again, if you are only going to be doing this a handful of times during the year it might not be worth it.