Gear options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I would wonder if something is wrong with your truck..lol

NO way a 5.3 would come close to towing like my 5.7 8sp 3:21 combo , I had a 06 5.3 and is was a dog.

My truck pulls my 28' camper like nothing, no gear searching does it with no issues.

OP
OP
J

jon316

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It was a dog never said it was more powerful. It’s just towed better. At 70-75mph it stayed there well and wasn’t constantly downshifting or revving up. It was just...there, struggling lol but there. 5.3 z71 with 3.73 gearing. Did the job for both me and my dad, he doesn’t dare to strap something other than that camper to the ram lol but he’s old fashioned he doesn’t like all so many speeds lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Wonder why your truck is searching for gears, I put mine in 7th on the selector and go and it does not search for gears.
Even in the mountains pulling a loaded down twin axle 6x12 enclosed trailer it did not search for gears, grant it I pull up a mountain for what seamed like 10 miles in 6th gear but it picked a gear everytime and it stays in it.

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
So, starting with basics--is the OP using tow/haul mode and is he locking out 8th or 7th or whatever gear is one above the gear his truck is happy towing in? I've only towed lightweight trailers so far--MC and utility trailers 3k or under--but locking out a gear eliminated any gear hunting in the mountains. Just a thought...
DG

OP
OP
J

jon316

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It searches for a reason, you don’t want to be making it stay in a high gear it will just stress the transmission. I’ve seen too many dodge transmissions fail so that’s not an option, as well as it will be driven by other ppl with weight behind it, having to explain that they have to lock in at this gear and this speed do this....just makes no sense lol better gearing for the weight will fix that.

Tow haul mode was used yes. And no locking in gears, unfortunately I have yet to tow with the auto hauler loaded with it, but it sure drove like it was loaded down with the damn thing empty!

Guess I can’t ask for much since I’ve had a few diesels and they’re just a different ball game. But I also used a 2004 SS which was not set up for towing heavy and it towed awesome, only downside was the suspension was not set up for it well as it was low. But it has the 6.0 AWD with 4.10 gears. Only did two trips in it though so I try not to compare that out too much.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Really should only have to lock out 8th gear, running in 7th should do it and if its going back and forth through gears all the time I would take it in and see if it needs a update.
I have not heard of anyone having this problem with a 8sp.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
The OP is coming from a diesel to a 1500 with 3.21 gears, that explains a lot of it.

use tow/haul, put it in M7 and be done. if you dont put it in manual mode it wont lock out the OD gears and you'll get hunting (bad).

i use m4 or m5 when pulling my 6k tt with no issues. no gear hunting. but i run max of 60 on the highway. most st rated trailer tires are speed limited to 65 mph. exceed that for too long and they will go boom.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Not a good reason imo, I came out of a 07 Cummins with close to 600hp.
with 3:21s my truck will be running in the next gear lower compared to a truck with 3:92s no reason it should be searching for a gear with 8 of them to pick from.
I also had a 02 Chevy 2500 hd with the 6.0 and 4:10s and like the Transmission behinds the 6.4s it is geared way to high and was not a good truck for pulling anything and why I did not keep it long term. The Ram would easley out pull that 02 or 06 Chevy 5.3 I had.
He was pulling a empty car trailer , I have pulled a 28' trailer over 6000lbs with zero problems and no gear searching.
I also have a 20' car trailer and my truck pulls it as well with no gear searching.
I also pulled a overloaded 6x12 for 1400 miles with no gear searching and was in 7th gear except in the mountains.

No trying to be a **** but something is not right here his 8sp should not be searching for gears like that pulling a empty car trailer.

OP
OP
J

jon316

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tried locking out this morning unloaded of course and it still shifts automatically how ever it wants lol. All it really does is let me down shift a gear but it still shifts up and down as it wants.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ya but it doesn't shift passed the gear u have locked out on the selector. When ever I am driving in town in my 2500 6.4 with 3:73"s I always lock out 4th and run tow haul to keep mds from triggering and to keep it from running through 5th/6th at speeds under 55-
I know our scenerios are completely different" 3/4 ton 6 speed & a 1/2 ton 8 speed" but it makes my driving experience a hell of a lot better.

911ems

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm running 8sp w 3.21 towing a 30' 7500lb TT and it does not search what so ever. I locked out 8th and it behaved exactly the way I would expect it too.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you researched the cost of the swap for gears??? Our trucks (2015) require a ton of labor in the front along with more parts . I got quoted over 5k for. Swap!!!

BEAST19
'15 Ram 1500 5.7L
Blacked out brilliant black bighorn
Fully functional hood
Custom quad switchback halo
Fuel vapors wrapped in 33"x12.5nittos
MBPR Exhaust
ARH Longtube headers
Pedal Commander
Vararam intake
Diablo i2
Painted bushwhacker flares
Color matched cab spoiler
87mm TB

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Really is not that bad to swap out the gears, buy the rear gears snd then buy a front diff for it.
The front diff is not near as much money as one would think and most shade tree mechanics can do the swap.
If you cant do the rearend a shop should really not charge to much to just do the rear.

I would suggest to buy a LSD if you dont have one while your at it.
If you have the extra buying a magtech rear cover and some Redline gear oil would be a good upgrade as well.

All goes well I want to do mine next year as I plan to step up to 35s and feel you should upgrade gears when doing so.

OP
OP
J

jon316

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yea exactly, I’ll be towing the trailer tommoro with two bikes on it, I’ll try the lockout feature and see how it works out. Like the other user said, im coming from a diesel, so it’s just different all these gears and the stumbling and the dropping a gear and screaming. When in my dually after 50mph im in sixth gear and just leave it there and she pulls great.

My post wasn’t really to knock down the 3.21 or get you guys to defend them really I’m sure they work well for others. But really to see those who have other gears experience.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Its more about if your trans is working like it should, it wont lug like the diesel you had it will down shift and its meant to and why it has 8 gears.
Lugging the transmission like that is really hard on them and one reason Rams are known to have bad transmission, tje big Cummins has so much lowend torque that it dont need to down shift but not down shifting is the problem.

Just need to make sure its not going back and forth because thats just as hard as lugging it.

Lock it out it 6th gear at 60/65 mph and see how that does for awhile then take it to 70/75 in 7th and see how that does
I would think 70mph and 7th gear it should stay and mot go back into 6th unless you ask for it with a good amount of throttle imput or a big hill.
Same goes for 60mph and 6th it should not go into 5th unless you ask it to.

Lower gears will help but if its searching for gears now it probably still will but it will just be doing so in the high gears instead of the lower ones.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hate California-
You guys talk of towing at 65- 70 mph.. we are stuck with 55mph tow speed limits here.

Tdjma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you researched the cost of the swap for gears??? Our trucks (2015) require a ton of labor in the front along with more parts . I got quoted over 5k for. Swap!!!

BEAST19
'15 Ram 1500 5.7L
Fully functional hood
MBPR Exhaust
ARH Longtube headers
Pedal Commander
Vararam intake
Diablo i2
Color matched cab spoiler
87mm TB
You can buy a whole new front pumpkin with 391 gears complete for under $1,600

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can buy a whole new front pumpkin with 391 gears complete for under $1,600

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I am not sure the specifics but dealer looked up vin and said the front has more than just a pumpkin I'd have to replace. 2015 Ram 1500 321 gears. 4wd

BEAST19
'15 Ram 1500 5.7L
Fully functional hood
MBPR Exhaust
ARH Longtube headers
Pedal Commander
Vararam intake
Diablo i2