Towing for work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

homebrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Hey group I have a kinda off topic question. I have a 2016 2500 6.7. I am concidering starting my own shipping business (through uship) when I retire from the military. Trying to do some homework while I still have time. Anyone here a part of uship? I'm concidering a 24ft car hauler type trailer. I have a manual transmission, would it be advisable to upgrade the clutch before I start pulling around a trailer on a regular basis? And at what point would I have to go through the dot for liscencing/inspections? Sorry I know this post is all over the place. Any help is appreciated.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I looked into something along similar lines, hauling tractors for local dealer (delivery/dealer exchanges) during their busy times. The commercial insurance costs put a damper on that. I know insurances costs vary state to state but you might want to start there.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've read of guys doing RV transporting which is similar. Basically, it's tough to make much money at it unless you sleep in your truck and eat Top Ramen.

If you want to travel around and have it subsidized it could work out but don't plan on getting rich.

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If you are going to be doing any work for a company, you have to be licensed through DOT, and set up with insurance and all that fun stuff. You could probably get away with running illegal for awhile, but DOT doesn't play around on fines.

Also, not to sound harsh, but unless you have a customer lined up or a real plan, a 24' car hauler trailer isn't the most popular set up for hot shot trucking. Kind of limiting yourself a lot by having that small of a trailer.

I am looking at a 28' enclosed car hauler, but my market is very targeted and what not. Research your audience too.

I have also heard iffy things about uship. Nothing first hand though.

mesotall13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I do hot shot freight myself. I personally don't haul cars much. They average out to about $.40-.50 cents per mile per car. In order to make money you need to be over a dollar a mile round trip. So either taking 3 cars one way and bringing back to or taking 5 cars one way come home empty. A million dollar commercial policy with 100k cargo insurance for a driver with no violations will start near $400 a month. And every wreck free year go down a few dollars. You will need a usdot # and a mc number. Fines aren't cheap if you get caught without them. I personally haul mostly oil and mining parts or building parts. My max cargo weight is 18,000 ibs. I'd leave your stock clutch on until you don't have a warranty.

mesotall13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Also a 2500 isn't going to be great at hauling cars with. It will be very easy to overload your drive axle. As a commercial vehicle you have to follow your vehicle gross axle weight, your gross vehicle weight, your gross trailer weight and your gcwr.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
This thread pretty much sums up everything I've always suspected about trailers and towing: Us uneducated, careless, cavalier, overconfident weekend warriors are free to roam the roads with anything we can pile on our trucks and haul out of our driveways.

Once you start charging money for your service there are a whole lot of rules and the entire game changes.... and the fines aren't cheap. Towing/hauling just seems so competitive. I've talked with a some folks who are pretty far up the line with big trucking companies and you've got to run a super tight ship to succeed.