What's the Heaviest Thing You Pulled with a 2500 Hemi?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I had 19,000 behind my 2500 last week. Just over 7 tons of crushed asphalt and the trailer weighs 2 tons.

Been trying the keep it around 5 tons of asphalt which puts me right at the manufacturer rating of the trailer and axles.

You're playing a dangerous game being 4000 lbs overweight on the axles and wheels...You could kill someone.

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You're playing a dangerous game being 4000 lbs overweight on the axles and wheels...You could kill someone.

I can assure you I am not playing any games. I am fully aware of the severity of what I did and the implications that came along with it.

It was not intentional. I didn't exceed 35mph on my journey home and I took the least busy route. IIRC, and I wasn't paying very close attention, I saw 3 or 4 vehicles on my way home.

Yes it was a mistake, I should have removed some of the material.

Thanks for your concern, though.

Heres to hoping you don't kill someone by exceeding the design limitations of your truck by modifying the suspension and altering the center of gravity.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I can assure you I am not playing any games. I am fully aware of the severity of what I did and the implications that came along with it.

It was not intentional. I didn't exceed 35mph on my journey home and I took the least busy route. IIRC, and I wasn't paying very close attention, I saw 3 or 4 vehicles on my way home.

Yes it was a mistake, I should have removed some of the material.

Thanks for your concern, though.

Heres to hoping you don't kill someone by exceeding the design limitations of your truck by modifying the suspension and altering the center of gravity.

Comparing a lift (and only 5" at that) to towing 4000 lbs over gvwr in a trailer is the stupidest thing I've heard in a long time.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Comparing a lift (and only 5" at that) to towing 4000 lbs over gvwr in a trailer is the stupidest thing I've heard in a long time.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I made no comparison. I simply put an assumption made in an Internet forum into perspective.

Fact is both scenarios push the limits of design. But somehow one (mine) is bad and the other (his) isn't. And the fact is exceeding the design of the suspension and changing the center of gravity on a pick up truck does not increase the safety factor. If you want to dispute any of the laws of physics, I'd be happy to oblige.

Or we can chalk this up to sometimes we all push the limits and as long as we are aware we are pushing those limits and act accordingly then we can all be on our merry way.

Never mind mine wasn't intentional. Since then I've had a more experienced loader operator be the only one that loads my trailer and all loads have been between 4 and 5 tons.

It's far to easy to sit back and point fingers at bad things others do while ignoring our own improprieties.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I made no comparison. I simply put an assumption made in an Internet forum into perspective.

Fact is both scenarios push the limits of design. But somehow one (mine) is bad and the other (his) isn't. And the fact is exceeding the design of the suspension and changing the center of gravity on a pick up truck does not increase the safety factor. If you want to dispute any of the laws of physics, I'd be happy to oblige.

Or we can chalk this up to sometimes we all push the limits and as long as we are aware we are pushing those limits and act accordingly then we can all be on our merry way.

Never mind mine wasn't intentional. Since then I've had a more experienced loader operator be the only one that loads my trailer and all loads have been between 4 and 5 tons.

It's far to easy to sit back and point fingers at bad things others do while ignoring our own improprieties.

Agreed!
People seem to be fine throwing on a lift, and towing at or near the factory limits with the rear sagging and headlights pointed into the sky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I won't even go into having a train horn mounted on his rig.

That's safe. Light that thing off and scare the bejeezus out of someone, they may lose control of their own vehicle and kill someone.

Clausnitzer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 2011
Engine
Hemi 5.7, Cummins 6.7
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi

I had a 45 foot gooseneck loaded with wet swamp grass bails and when I dorve on the scale I was of 40,000lbs. and my stock big horn could have done more yet. But fuel economy.... well we dont need to go there....

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Bigdaddy, in reply to your question, to the best of my knowledge, Ram doesn't make a 4.56 gear for the 2500 HD. The 2013 and earlier PowerWagons had the 4.56 but have also went to the 4.10 gears. (They have a locker diff so gears wont interchange) After more than a few discussions with Ram, I got approval to re gear using the 4.56 that I believe are a Yukon gear. (listed as a GM gear) As my dealer was instrumental in my ability to keep the 5/100000 warranty on everything but the gear sets, I had them do the work. Was more expensive but having and keeping good relations with the dealer I felt was worth the cost. For the record, they did an excellent job and no problems after about 15k of driving and towing. As for empty mileage, probably lost a couple if driving elevations were near sea level. Here in CO, with elevations starting at about 6000, probably lost nothing and maybe better than stock for city driving. Definitely changed the power characteristics. More like a truck and still tacks only 2300 rpm at 80 in 6th. Truth, if available, would consider something around the 4.88 range knowing what I know now. But that's just my thoughts and likes entirely.

I have worked at a dealership as a tech for 25+ years. I thought dealers could really get their tit in a wringer re gearing. The truck was emissions certified with the factory gears. I have told customers it's technically illegal for a dealer to re gear their truck, am I wrong?

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
not pulled,but i've winched several large trees,a couple no posts, and a shipping container.also a big f/u to the poster that said i'd pull my bumper off.moron.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
You're welcome, so what year is it and I also see that it have a double outboard motor I bet it will get up and move.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yea 2017. Twin 150's. Still breaking her in so haven't went full throttle yet

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

2015HD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Brought home this Deere 110 to do some work around the house. The Hemi worked hard but all in all it towed it fine. About 10K total with trailer.

Attachments

• Deere110.jpg
    Deere110.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 131

navydroid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome thread to read. Tons of knowledge. Just got a 2014 2500HD Ram with 5.7 Hemi and I'll be pulling my 7000ish lb travel trailer with it. Reading this thread gives me confidence, hitting the big hills. Thanks.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Headed to Alaska

8000 lb. trailer with another 1200 lbs. in the bed.

Attachments

• Buena.jpg
    Buena.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 22