What's the Heaviest Thing You Pulled with a 2500 Hemi?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 laramie 2500 credit cab 4x4 cummins
Engine
6.7 Cummins
6300lb XLR 27ft TH. With rzr, fuel and supplies guessing around 8000lbs. Power was not an issue, however she started fishtailing around 70 mph, I almost SHAT myself, never experienced that before. I reset my WD hitch, haven't had it out since then.

I wouldn't pull an 8,000lb trailer at 70 if someone paid me to. Too much to go wrong.

You're a braver man than I am. :)

OP
OP
zogg

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know several folks that tow 70-75 mph, because that is the speed limit. I got a little over 65 mph on the last tow and decided it was too fast for me....I find that 57-61 is about the comfort zone for me. I try to stay on the four lane hiways so folks can pass, and the two lanes around here are generally posted at 55 mph.

I know the truck can do a lot more, but I am not that experienced towing. Dont want to hurt anyone or ME!!

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's very courteous of you, Zogg.
I would love to try a 2500 for comparison, to see if it handles towing in the wind much differently.

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I know several folks that tow 70-75 mph, because that is the speed limit. I got a little over 65 mph on the last tow and decided it was too fast for me....I find that 57-61 is about the comfort zone for me. I try to stay on the four lane hiways so folks can pass, and the two lanes around here are generally posted at 55 mph.

I know the truck can do a lot more, but I am not that experienced towing. Dont want to hurt anyone or ME!!

Well please note I wasn't smack talking you.

I pull my boat as much as 65, but that's only on Michigan's northern freeway system which is quite smooth and not very heavily traveled most days, but usually I'm more around the 55-60 range.

With my 5th wheel I haven't gone more than 60 and don't intend to go more. I'm sure it ****** people off, but it's the right thing to do.

OP
OP
zogg

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's very courteous of you, Zogg.
I would love to try a 2500 for comparison, to see if it handles towing in the wind much differently.

There are certain advantages of a 3/4 ton over a 1/2 ton. I find them more stable towing, probanly do to the increased weight of the truck...my 2wd hemi weight about 6300 pounds. Comparedmto amhalf ton, The frame is more stout, it has bigger brakes, heavier and bigger rear end, range E tires, heavier springs, etc.

I have met lots of folks at campgrounds who bought a huge trailer or 5th wheel and are sruggling with a half ton truck....the salesman said their truck would tow the trailer.

When I bought my trailer, there was a sign laying on the kitchen table saying it was "1/2 ton towable". It weighs 7300# dry, is 30+ feet long, and is well over 8000# when loaded for traveling. When I asked the salesman about it, he admitted that a half ton would have to be set up with a super towing package and would ne maxed out...rediculous!

One guy had been sold a 28 foot toy hauler which was about 7000# and he was pulling it with a Chevy 1/2 ton with a 4.8 liter engine with 3.23 gears. The truck came new without a hitch, trans cooler, trailer wiring, etc. So, he,paid to have all that installed and cound not believe how poorly it towed...felt bad for him.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought our trailer because it is an ultra light weight; 6500lbs dry, 7015 loaded with water. VERY light for a 32' with 2 slides.
The thing I didn't know to ask and they didn't volunteer, was the side area/length vs. 1/2 ton. If it's windy out it's a handfull but a guy on my team has a 2500 w/Hemi and he says his 27' is the same in the wind, so I wonder about if that difference between the two is worth it?
We'll take the '14 2500 w/6.4 for a spin when it comes out but I am really more partial to a sport truck so having a higher, heavier truck is not something I look forward to. Maybe I could be the first '14 2500 6.4 with a 2/4 drop LOL

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I bought our trailer because it is an ultra light weight; 6500lbs dry, 7015 loaded with water. VERY light for a 32' with 2 slides.

What Model is that? That's what I'm looking for to pull with my MC. Don't want to go much over 7k but want as much space as possible.

OP
OP
zogg

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Went from So. iL to So Missouri over the weekend....four hours each way and lots on ups and downs in the Ozark mountains.
The Ram handled the 8000 pound trailer very well. Most of time it was running about 2200 rpms in 5th gear, ups most of the hille it shifter to 4th at 2800 rpms, and occasionally it would hit 3600-4000 rpms foing up some steep hills. No lack of power at any time and never felt like it was straining...put it in "D" with tow haul and let it run....kept it between 62 and 65 mph, except on the twisty two lane roads.
Overall mpg was 8.9 for the trip. I did run 89 octane as recommended in the owners manual. Not sure how it would have run on 87 octane, which is what I run when not towing.
Overall a very nice and easy trip, save a few crosswinds. Gotta love the Ram. Can't wait to hear how the 2014 Rams will tow with the larger hemi engine??

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What Model is that? That's what I'm looking for to pull with my MC. Don't want to go much over 7k but want as much space as possible.

Keystone Passport 3220BH. We're pleased as hell with it; the space, build quality and features for the $. When it rains the kids literally have their own room in the back to play ON THE FLOOR like they love to do, with that second slide. They couldn't do that in any other bunkhouse configuration we could find. Yeah, it's not the fanciest around and has almost no storage in the bathroom, but the outdoor kitchen is just big enough to be all you need without losing a bunk in the rear.

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

I was thinking about this last night, don't know why, but it occurred to me that 70-75 may well not be the limit.

In Michigan non-commercial towing is limited by law to 55mph everywhere in the state, save for roads where speeds are already lower by signage.

So, while it may say 70 for passenger vehicles, it may not be for towing vehicles.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I can count on one hand how many times I have seen someone towing something Dow the expressway below 65 mph. Almost everyone is going 70 plus nowadays.

White Beauty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
9500 pound trailer and gear. 2008 2500 hemi. Went from Moncton NB. To louden new Hampshire.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 4

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1381328980668.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381328980668.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 164

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I want to get a travel trailer, and I'm going to get something in the 16-18' range, ultra-lite construction too. I don't care if I can tow more, I don't wanna!

It's the dog and I. Just want a good base camp.

OP
OP
zogg

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was thinking about this last night, don't know why, but it occurred to me that 70-75 may well not be the limit.

In Michigan non-commercial towing is limited by law to 55mph everywhere in the state, save for roads where speeds are already lower by signage.

So, while it may say 70 for passenger vehicles, it may not be for towing vehicles.

Illinois speed limit is 65 for everything and missouri is 70 for everything if outside city limits.....

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I can count on one hand how many times I have seen someone towing something Dow the expressway below 65 mph. Almost everyone is going 70 plus nowadays.

To quote my grandpa, "If everyone was ******* pigs, would you?"

:naughty:

On another note, we're running soy right now and one of the 4wd John Deere 9560s we have went down in the back of a field. Pulled it to the front- about a 1/4 mile. That's roughly 38,000 lbs. (course it was at 1-2mph in low lock) LOL

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
There are certain advantages of a 3/4 ton over a 1/2 ton. I find them more stable towing, probanly do to the increased weight of the truck...my 2wd hemi weight about 6300 pounds. Comparedmto amhalf ton, The frame is more stout, it has bigger brakes, heavier and bigger rear end, range E tires, heavier springs, etc.

I have met lots of folks at campgrounds who bought a huge trailer or 5th wheel and are sruggling with a half ton truck....the salesman said their truck would tow the trailer.

When I bought my trailer, there was a sign laying on the kitchen table saying it was "1/2 ton towable". It weighs 7300# dry, is 30+ feet long, and is well over 8000# when loaded for traveling. When I asked the salesman about it, he admitted that a half ton would have to be set up with a super towing package and would ne maxed out...rediculous!

One guy had been sold a 28 foot toy hauler which was about 7000# and he was pulling it with a Chevy 1/2 ton with a 4.8 liter engine with 3.23 gears. The truck came new without a hitch, trans cooler, trailer wiring, etc. So, he,paid to have all that installed and cound not believe how poorly it towed...felt bad for him.

I'm am so glad to hear that you are please with the 2500 hemi, I been thinking about getting one. The dealer just got one in that I would like to have, with the 3.73 short bed 4x4. I might go down tomorrow or Saturday to look at it and do a test drive. I kind of want to get the 4.10 gears those but since for now I don't have a TT yet.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins

You wouldn't happen to have any pics of you TT?

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm am so glad to hear that you are please with the 2500 hemi, I been thinking about getting one. The dealer just got one in that I would like to have, with the 3.73 short bed 4x4. I might go down tomorrow or Saturday to look at it and do a test drive. I kind of want to get the 4.10 gears those but since for now I don't have a TT yet.

I know being at higher elevation, and with nothing flat up here in Northern NM, I really wish I had the 4.10s. But I'll hold off till I get real tires and step up to 4.56s.

heritage413

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 2500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
gooseneck towing

Hi out there. I have a 2010 2500 HD with the factory tow package and 4:10s. I currently pull a bumper pull 2 car trailer and want to go up to a 3 car gooseneck. any idea on towing limits in the gooseneck area? Thanks