Towing Recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rlepperson

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
none
Your recommendations, please. I potentially need a used, quad style, gasoline fueled pick-up truck that will pull a 6000 lb loaded airstream trailer, and carry a 1500-2000 lb payload capacity. As I will use the pickup for possibly 18,000 miles of independent driving and 2000 miles of towing per year (20, 000 miles total), I want to find the most fuel efficient “beast” possible. Of course, I also want it to tow well. Short bed vs. long bed? Four wheel vs. two wheel rear drive? Please, provide rationale for Dodge, vs. Chevy, Ford, etc.

RedRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wont go into which auto is better. I'm wore out on the whole Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge blah blah. Here is what I do not recommend. I have a std cab Ram with a Hemi, a five speed auto and 3.55 gears but I would never want to tow with it. It has plenty of power but this transmission is the biggest pos I've ever had. It does not shift like it should and the day I have to pull a trailer I already know I'm going to be pissed. I've read many posts where they say this 5 speed constantly kicks in and out of gear searching for the right one when towing. Not acceptable and wish I had known this.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I wont go into which auto is better. I'm wore out on the whole Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge blah blah. Here is what I do not recommend. I have a std cab Ram with a Hemi, a five speed auto and 3.55 gears but I would never want to tow with it. It has plenty of power but this transmission is the biggest pos I've ever had. It does not shift like it should and the day I have to pull a trailer I already know I'm going to be pissed. I've read many posts where they say this 5 speed constantly kicks in and out of gear searching for the right one when towing. Not acceptable and wish I had known this.

Put it in tow mode and it will pull like a beast, I know mine does. I just press the button on the end of my shifter and it is in tow mode (prevents trans from hunting gears), press again and it locks out overdrive. I have an 07' Ram 1500, 5.7L Hemi, 3.92 gears, 5 speed auto.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Your recommendations, please. I potentially need a used, quad style, gasoline fueled pick-up truck that will pull a 6000 lb loaded airstream trailer, and carry a 1500-2000 lb payload capacity. As I will use the pickup for possibly 18,000 miles of independent driving and 2000 miles of towing per year (20, 000 miles total), I want to find the most fuel efficient “beast” possible. Of course, I also want it to tow well. Short bed vs. long bed? Four wheel vs. two wheel rear drive? Please, provide rationale for Dodge, vs. Chevy, Ford, etc.

If it was me going to tow that kind of load, or tow for that many miles per year, I would buy a Dodge/Ram 2500 with the diesel engine and automatic transmission. Good fuel economy for a 3/4 ton truck, and mountains of towing torque that will far surpass the loads you will be subjecting the truck to. Just my opinion.

Trenton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 gas mega cab but forget fuel economy or the 5.9 06 mega cab cumins there is no other truck that can compare ford chev or toyota for room comfort towing it will out pull a f450 powerstroke all day the 5.9 is pre dpf or blue crap

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007