? on gear change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lonewolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is there anything else I may need to do a gear swap on my 2011 4x4.

Master Install Kit w/ Timken Bearings for 8.0" Front
Master Install Kit w/ Timken Bearings for 9.25" Rear
Motive 4.10 Gears for 8.0" Front
Motive 4.10 Gears for 9.25" Rear

Anything else?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
That is everything you need. With you being a 2011, you will need to have your rear carrier modified to accept the aftermarket gears though. Many shops are doing this now, so I would just ask around before placing your order. I would hate for you to receive the parts, and then not be able to find a shop to install them.

OP
OP
L

Lonewolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was under the assumption if I went with the 4.56 ones it would need to be modified didn't realize its for the 4.10 ones too. Thanks for the heads up.

Do you know any video are write up anywhere showing exactly what needs to be modified so I can show my guy, so he knows what to do if he doesn't already. I'll ask him next week if he knows about it. Also if im going to stick with 33's are the most 35 tires, 4.10's are more then enough right? 4.56's would be overkill right?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
The issue with any 9.25" ring an pinion is that the ring gear bolts dont line up with the new ZF carrier, so they will need to drill new holes for them to line up. Here is a picture of the carrier with aftermarket 4.56's installed.

Attachments

• modified carrier.jpg
    modified carrier.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 133
OP
OP
L

Lonewolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What holes were drilled, the red are the green ones?

And if there drilling completely new holes is this something a machine shop has to do to make sure its perfectly squared up right?

Thanks for answering all my questions, one thing I never got involved doing and payed others to do is differential stuff.

Attachments

• modified carrier.jpg
    modified carrier.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 182

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
The Green holes where the bolts are. That is actually an aftermarket 9.25" 4.56 ring gear already bolted to a 9.25ZF carrier. And yes, you would either need a machine shop, or a good diff shop to do this work.

There is also a company in Florida called Modern Performance Engineering that had a program going to ship you an already modified carier, or you could send them yours to be modified (if you can afford the down time). If you cant find a shop in your area to do this, you might consider reaching out to the guys at MPE to have one modified for you.

OP
OP
L

Lonewolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
More ?'s, hope you don't mind. Is it only the back carrier that needs to be modified or the front too.

Are these the people your talking about? Modern Performance Engineering 321-945-7893

I'm hoping they have that program still going, do they send me one done already and I would swap out mine and send it back as a core?

Thanks for the help

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
More ?'s, hope you don't mind. Is it only the back carrier that needs to be modified or the front too.

Are these the people your talking about? Modern Performance Engineering 321-945-7893

I'm hoping they have that program still going, do they send me one done already and I would swap out mine and send it back as a core?

Thanks for the help

Correct. Only the rear will need to be modified.

And last I knew, MPE had 2 options. They can either send you a new modified carrier and then give you a refund for your core when you send it back, or you can send your carrier to them to be modified and then shipped back to you if you want to skip the core charge. I would just give them a call tomorrow to see what options they are offering now.

OP
OP
L

Lonewolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Correct. Only the rear will need to be modified.

And last I knew, MPE had 2 options. They can either send you a new modified carrier and then give you a refund for your core when you send it back, or you can send your carrier to them to be modified and then shipped back to you if you want to skip the core charge. I would just give them a call tomorrow to see what options they are offering now.

Spoke to Josh, very helpful.
Two options
1) Buy new carrier from them modified $600, if I return mine they take $100 off. But shipping would be around 40-50 so I would be getting only half back really.

2) Send mine to be modified (must be limited slip, which mine is) for $299.00 + shipping takes around a week when he receives it.

Unfortunately one option is more money then I wanted to spend (considering I also have to buy gears,install kits, and labor on top) and the other would have my truck down for weeks which is equally bad in my case.

Matt whats the highest gear I can run without having to modify things? 3.92?

I was looking on here for factory gears that are available and noticed 4.10 in the rear for my year truck as a option
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 UNIVERSALS & REAR AXLE Rear axle Differential FactoryMopar.com

Would a factory 4.10 gear set in the back bolt right in and with your Motive 4.10 gears for 8.0" front work?

Since I never plan on going bigger then 35's and will probably stay with 33's wouldn't the 4.56's be overkill?

Also should I figure out what I'm going to be doing with my gearing before I order a Edge Racing 11" Billet Torque Converter from you? Cause I heard you say they are made for each individual trucks setup right?

Thank you for all the help and info you have been giving me.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
You are correct in that you can get the factory 4.10's out back and the Motive 4.10's for the front. Those will be bolton and save you alot of time and hassle. We dont have the factory 4.10's listed on the site, but we do have these in stock and they are $368.99 shipped.

Front Motive 4.10's - $194.99
Front Install Kit - $209.99
Rear Factory 4.10's - $368.99
Rear Install Kit - $95.99

Total would be $869.96 shipped.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
And yes, it is always nice to know the exact gear ratio when setting up a converter. We can set them up with a little play so that it will work with an arrangement of different mods, but the more specific info we have, the better that converter is going to perform.

OP
OP
L

Lonewolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thats great news!!!

Just to verify this so I won't be stressing, if you look up (same year truck but) the front diff gear options, it only shows 3.55 and 3.92 no 4.10's

2011 Dodge Ram 1500 FRONT DRIVE AXLE Drive axles Differential FactoryMopar.com

I'm thinking the 4.10 option was for the RT 2 wheel drive Ram then. Does the RT use the same rear as the rears in the other models?

I just want to make sure there will be no surprises so my truck won't be out of commission longer and I get stuck in a hard place. Thanks

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
You are correct again. 4.10's were only available in the RT which is 2wd only. The RT uses the same 9.25ZF rear that you have, so they are a direct bolton.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Sounds like the solution is ready 4.10 is probably perfect for highway and in town use.

$miley

OP
OP
L

Lonewolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like the solution is ready 4.10 is probably perfect for highway and in town use.

$miley

Yea I'm definitely excited!

Just deciding if I should buy the TB and HemiFever tune now (have enough coin) or wait till I get some more coin and do the gears first. I also want a Edge Torque Converter and ARH Longtubes.

I'm thinking
1)Gears
2)Edge Torque Converter
3) ARH Longtubes
then
4)Moes TB and HemiFever tune

Matt you know anyone with my year truck with four wheel drive that went to 4.10's. They notice a big difference performance wise?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Coming from 3.55's, you will feel a very noticable difference going to 4.10's. Then again, everything on the mod list you posted is going to show a big difference. Your current 3.55's are OK for now until you add larger tires. Once the bigger tires are installed, you are going to want those 4.10's. If you think the new tires are coming soon, then do the gears first. If its going to be a while for the tires, then I would jump straight to the other performance upgrades first.

OP
OP
L

Lonewolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Coming from 3.55's, you will feel a very noticable difference going to 4.10's. Then again, everything on the mod list you posted is going to show a big difference. Your current 3.55's are OK for now until you add larger tires. Once the bigger tires are installed, you are going to want those 4.10's. If you think the new tires are coming soon, then do the gears first. If its going to be a while for the tires, then I would jump straight to the other performance upgrades first.

I'm sticking with 33's, if I do go up in tire size down the road it would be no bigger then 35's.

33" Cooper discoverer at3's are going on later this year.

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ Agreed.

I only recently added 35's, and my truck is still pretty damn quick! But I know I'd still be better off with gears so, in the meantime, still trying to find a local guy who's capable of doing the swap for me.