Moving to the northeast

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Basilisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey Guys, so I'm going to be moving to Maine from Arizona in a couple of months or sooner... I've never lived where it snows regularly, more used to 115-120 degrees lol

Is there any advice you guys could share about preventing rust and things like that? Also if you guys know anything about the Maine vehicle inspection that would be great!

I appreciate any help or advice you all can give!

Thanks,
-Basilisk

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't live in Maine but I do see snow in winter and lots of salt. The best rust preventer is probably just keeping everything clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Basilisk

Basilisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks! So is that the key, just keeping everything washed and clean? How often do you want to go through the car wash, or does that just vary with how often you drive on the roads?

rusties93LE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 magnum
Undercoating of some sort. Depends on the conditions, how much salt is used. Get some good quality catch all's (thick rubber floor mats, that will catch the mud and snow, keep from rotting the floors), invest in a solid pressure washer, heated if possible, because no matter how many times you run thru the car wash, there are going to be spots that it can't reach!

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Undercoating and keeping as much salt off as possible. Car washes will be your best friend up there

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
undercoat with an oil based paint and top coat with Fluid Film once cured

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
as much as i would like to say undercoating with oil is a good idea my ramcharger would disagree with it. the guy that owned my ramcharger before me said he had it oiled twice a year. the only problem was that none of the old oil was washed off and instead of keeping water out it kept water in. there is so much damage that was cause by oiling it and not washing it off.

washing the truck off at least once a month is about the best thing you can do to keep it rust free.

RobbyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Best way to prevent rust is NOT driving the truck during the winter, and exposing the truck to the salt...

OP
OP
Basilisk

Basilisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay thanks guys. I'll do some research on the undercoating. Sadly RobbyD, I'm not going to be able to keep the truck off the salt, unless I get something else.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't live in Maine but I do see snow in winter and lots of salt. The best rust preventer is probably just keeping everything clean.

^^This. I don't live in Maine, but I do live in New England and keeping things clean will help A LOT! Good luck.
Why the move from Arizona?

Chris_2914

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would do a really good undercoat like a gravel guard and then an oil spray and keep the body washed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi Basilisk,

YEs wash your truck often. Make sure you keep a solid emergency kit in your truck. If you get stuck in the weather up there you will want to make sure you have a good kit with you. jumpers flairs firstaid kit maybe a space blanket or something in case you need to stay warm a solid jack basic tools a tarp. May sound excessive but trust me it is not. The weather in Maine especially northern Maine, say Bangor and up can drop ALOT of snow in a short time and if you are on the road it can get pretty slick pretty quick. Also temps can get pretty low when your up in the north country.
Maine is a beautiful state, just use common sense.
Where abouts are you going to be?

preachp

OP
OP
Basilisk

Basilisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alright, yeah I'll definitely keep a good emergency kit in the vehicles. I'll be moving to Ellsworth, Maine.

rambam!!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
Get the old man running boards that go from wheel to wheel with the mud flaps and paint the frame from time to time and regular washing.