66rfe transmission in 16 2500 is driving me nuts!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

snapper23

Reaction score
I have a 2500 HD,. 6.4 hemi, With the same tranny. I had mine reprogrammed at detailer and I'd did improve. It aways wanted to stay in a higher gear and it would hang up in the EGO mode. Once they reprogrammed the tranny it was better. The Eco mode did not activate as much . I now have 18 K in mileage and the truck shifts so much better. Try to be patient and drive in tow / haul mode in city driving until you get a few more miles on her. I ordered my truck to get the 4.10 gears and it is a better gear all the way around. These dealers really need to know how to order a truck. The price for the 4.10 was very cheap to add to the truck during manufacture. However it will cost 1000's to do it now because you have to do the front axle as well..

It will get better !!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tnt2671

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 regular cab
Engine
I have a 2500 HD,. 6.4 hemi, With the same tranny. I had mine reprogrammed at detailer and I'd did improve. It aways wanted to stay in a higher gear and it would hang up in the EGO mode. Once they reprogrammed the tranny it was better. The Eco mode did not activate as much . I now have 18 K in mileage and the truck shifts so much better. Try to be patient and drive in tow / haul mode in city driving until you get a few more miles on her. I ordered my truck to get the 4.10 gears and it is a better gear all the way around. These dealers really need to know how to order a truck. The price for the 4.10 was very cheap to add to the truck during manufacture. However it will cost 1000's to do it now because you have to do the front axle as well..

It will get better !!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
i'm glad to hear that your giving me some hope!!! already did the relearn and i have just been locking out gears around town or driving in tow/haul so i guess i'm just going to keep my fingers crossed that it does improve, it's winter in ma. now so i'm going to at least give it until early spring so it's got some miles and if i don't get some kind of support from ram before hand i will prob re gear the truck. it's just o frustrating because i really love my truck besides this issue , just did exhaust , therein leveling kit and tires and wheels are in the works, but i think tire/ wheel money might go for the regear because i know this issue will only be exaggerated with 35's , but again thanks for the moral support lol:happy107:

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Good deal tnt. If you like the truck otherwise and plan on keeping it for awhile and the gears are your only hang up, I'd keep it and regear it. If you intend on going with 35" tires, i don't think the 4.10s would have been enough gear anyway. To me, your in 4.30 or 56 gears with tires that tall

BBRAM2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will tell you i had very almost identical issues you had and i complained from day one. And at 20 thousand km it finally came to light it was a faulty pressure sensor in the tranny and i was told its a problem in the 16 true or not dunno but living in alberta where lots of trucks are moving id like to think the tec had some clue any how the sensor gets a crack in the body allowing fluid to bypass giving a false reading all i know is its been 3000km since it was replaced and my truck is a totally different ride

OP
OP
T

tnt2671

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 regular cab
Engine
I will tell you i had very almost identical issues you had and i complained from day one. And at 20 thousand km it finally came to light it was a faulty pressure sensor in the tranny and i was told its a problem in the 16 true or not dunno but living in alberta where lots of trucks are moving id like to think the tec had some clue any how the sensor gets a crack in the body allowing fluid to bypass giving a false reading all i know is its been 3000km since it was replaced and my truck is a totally different ride

can you give me the details on what pressure sensor id love to have the specifics and have that checked if you have the dealer report on it i would love to have it. my email is [email protected] if you have any additional info

14RAM4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 4x4
Engine
6.4L Hemi
It's funny, I did an oil change at 7500 miles and seemed like my truck "woke up." I've put a few tanks of gas through it and even the mileage has improved. The shifting is better and 1 - 1.5 mpg to boot. I just rolled 8700 miles and I am enjoying my truck more. It still wants to shift up quicker than I'd like, but it's not as bad as it was, say 2 months ago.

I'm still thinking 4.56s are in my future. With 35's, it seems like it wants a few hundred more rpm. Tow/Haul mode has been my friend when city driving.

Last edited:

Jaxyaks

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Over 60K on mine and still waiting for it to "get better" the only thing stopping these trucks from being "totally awesome" is the transmission programming.

OP
OP
T

tnt2671

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 regular cab
Engine
Over 60K on mine and still waiting for it to "get better" the only thing stopping these trucks from being "totally awesome" is the transmission programming.

man i drove a buddies new tundra today and the shift points are exactly what my dodge's should be , i didnt care for the rest of the truck but shifting is spot on , holds a gear , no gear hunting , keeps the rpm range were it should be independent of speed your going it shifts like a truck should.

Jaxyaks

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have driven the tundra and thought the exact same thing. Who knows, the tuning on the 6.4 may be for our benefit, longevity etc, after having owned a 2nd Gen I will take any Dodge transmission that will last over 50K...lol

OP
OP
T

tnt2671

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 regular cab
Engine
I have driven the tundra and thought the exact same thing. Who knows, the tuning on the 6.4 may be for our benefit, longevity etc, after having owned a 2nd Gen I will take any Dodge transmission that will last over 50K...lol

anybody on this and any other ram forum who owns a 4th gen 2500/3500 , 5.7/6.4 hd truck with a 66rfe that is still under warranty and is NOT happy with the crappy shift points that ram has given us and would like the problem addressed should call and open a claim with ram to get this issue taken care of, if we all got together and complain maybe an update will be created the number is 866-726-4636. the more posts i see about people with the exact same complaint the more i'm thinking regardless of gearing options or driving habits these trucks that were buying for good money should have a trans program that allows the truck to be driven normally without locking out gears , using tow haul for unloaded driving etc. why should a consumer have to spend $1000.00 for a tuner that they don't want just to be able to drive their new truck normally. RAM NEEDS TO RELEASE AN UPDATE FOR THESE TRUCKS TO CORRECT THIS. i hope the guys on here who aren't ******** like i am and have just learned to live with it get involved also if enough people bring it up maybe a fix will be released

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
anybody on this and any other ram forum who owns a 4th gen 2500/3500 , 5.7/6.4 hd truck with a 66rfe that is still under warranty and is NOT happy with the crappy shift points that ram has given us and would like the problem addressed should call and open a claim with ram to get this issue taken care of, if we all got together and complain maybe an update will be created the number is 866-726-4636. the more posts i see about people with the exact same complaint the more i'm thinking regardless of gearing options or driving habits these trucks that were buying for good money should have a trans program that allows the truck to be driven normally without locking out gears , using tow haul for unloaded driving etc. why should a consumer have to spend $1000.00 for a tuner that they don't want just to be able to drive their new truck normally. RAM NEEDS TO RELEASE AN UPDATE FOR THESE TRUCKS TO CORRECT THIS. i hope the guys on here who aren't ******** like i am and have just learned to live with it get involved also if enough people bring it up maybe a fix will be released

I like it. the motivation and idealism. if it actually worked, i'd be forever greatful and tell tales of you and children generations later would speak your name, tnt2671, with glee. realistically, considering FCAs track record towards responding to customer complaints, it just might be easier and more realistic to wait for Toyota to make a 3/4 ton.

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I like it. the motivation and idealism. if it actually worked, i'd be forever greatful and tell tales of you and children generations later would speak your name, tnt2671, with glee. realistically, considering FCAs track record towards responding to customer complaints, it just might be easier and more realistic to wait for Toyota to make a 3/4 ton.

Or just get the Ram tuned.......so there is that.

OP
OP
T

tnt2671

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 regular cab
Engine
Or just get the Ram tuned.......so there is that.

wish it was that easy theres no tuners available for a 15/16 5.7 2500 that has trans programming available. so not as simple as "so there is that" is not an option but thanks anyways

OP
OP
T

tnt2671

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 regular cab
Engine
teach them to say it with great pride as i have not given up yet .
the notice from ram for the adaptor kit to install the yota transmission into the hd rams will be available 2nd week of february, check your mailbox often lol:favorites13:

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I may not know what you guys are talking about but I love my 6.4 so far no issues or dislikes. But then again I only have 170 miles on it. I'm curious though since everyone is so interested in "gears" mine came with 3.73s, will this be fine with a truck bed full of tools and air compressor approximately 4-600lbs?

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hey guys I have a similar problem and it's driving me nuts. Someone please help me!!!

I have a 2012 ram 1500 st regular cab 5.7L/3.55's. I bought it used about 25 days ago with only 32k miles on it. I can't stand the shifting in my truck. If I baby the throttle and just drive normally the truck constantly sounds like it's "choking" and struggling to breathe or move until i push the peddle harder and it downshifts. I have a Flowmaster Exhaust and k&n 63 Series Intake so with the intake on there when I'm doing 35-45 at low rpms and I just barely push the peddle I can really hear the intake "throbbing" or it sounds like it's "choking". The exhaust makes a repetitive "duh duh duh duh" droning noise like it's misfiring but the motor is fine. If I drive "semi hard" on the gas this doesn't happen. It's only when I drive soft and I'm cruising at a steady speed and I slowly push the gas peddle.

This only happens when I have the truck in "auto mode" or D. When I put it into "manual shift" and just leave it in 6th while i drive around, it seems to take away the problem for the most part. I also noticed that it's really noticeable when the truck says ECO on the guages.

I'm about to bring the truck into the dealer for a warranty claim because something just isn't right. This can't be normal. I don't wanna have to bring it in for warranty claim because I have custom headlights with resistors tapped into them and Halos and led bulbs and I don't want the dealer to see all of this and either note that I have them or say something about them and then in the future or down the road I have an electrical issue with the headlights and they try to claim it's because I once had these headlights in my truck. It would be a major pain to remove the lights just to bring it in to get looked at so if I can avoid having to go to the dealer that would be best. The reason I say this about the headlights and warranty is because I just had an 06 Ram and my TIPM had 9 internal failures for headlights and taillights and the dealer tried to claim that my aftermarket Spyder headlights and taillights caused the issue with the TIPM failures.

Anyways... does anyone know what I can do or anything that can be done to fix this issue? It's so over the top rediculous and obvious that I don't even enjoy driving my truck anymore because I get so annoyed and frustrated when this happens.

Sent from hell via TapATalk

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I may not know what you guys are talking about but I love my 6.4 so far no issues or dislikes. But then again I only have 170 miles on it. I'm curious though since everyone is so interested in "gears" mine came with 3.73s, will this be fine with a truck bed full of tools and air compressor approximately 4-600lbs?

You'll be fine man. Don't let all of this "3.73s are junk" you read on here scare you. I've driven my new truck enough now to know what they are talking about. The shifting of the 6 speed in this truck is similar, but not nearly as bad as it was in the 15 Silverado I just traded in on this Ram. If you all think your rams are bad, go drive one of Chevrolet's 6 speeds, coupled with the lazy, laggy throttle and torque management they have and you'll know what horribly annoying really is. Ford's 6 speeds is not much better and I flat out won't even consider a foreign truck. I don't like Toyota or Nissan regardless of where they are assembled.

Yes, I would have preferred the 4.10s, but the deal I worked on my truck it would have cost me a minimum of $2,000 more than what I paid for my truck and I would have had to drive 150 miles one way to get a truck with those gears and the rest of the options I wanted. My truck had everything I wanted and was the color I wanted, except those 4.10s. I'm sure they would have helped the driveability some, no doubt, but my experience from working on cars for the past 26 plus years, I don't think there is a huge difference between the two, unless your loaded and towing heavy all the time, IE with a lot of weight in the bed or towing north of a 10,000 trailer.

The most of the issue is the transmission tuning. Maybe someone will come out with a tuner for these trucks in the future like Black Bear had for the Chevrolets. From what I understand it makes a nigh and day difference on those trucks, but can void the powertrain warranty if you have a claim.

From what I can tell from driving my truck, if I was to switch from the 3.73 it has in it now, I'd want to go right to a 4.30 gear anyway to make a worthwhile difference.

All else being equal, if you can find a 4.10 geared truck on the lot that has all the options you want and is the color you like I would choose that over the 3.73s, but it just wasn't a deal breaker for me.

Compared to my old 15 Silverado, 5.3/3.42 geared combo, my truck feels VERY stout.

Just my .02 guys. Maybe I feel the way I do coming from my 15 Silverado and how terrible the transmission tuning was on that. Ths truck is a MAJOR improvement over that truck so that should tell you something! LOL.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I agree with everything you said! Obviously driving thru the mountains of West Virginia and Pennsylvania the 4.10s would have been slightly better but I were to change I feel 4.30s would be money. The only thing I don't like is how it down shifts two gears so hard at highway speeds but that could be my tuner on my 14 and trying to go 80 mph in a 7200 lb truck thru elevations.

OP
OP
T

tnt2671

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 regular cab
Engine
congrats on the new truck the with the cargo load your talking about your truck won't even know it's there , most of the gear talk going on in this thread has to do with compensating for the crappy shift points in the 66 transmissions.

Gear Jammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Would a line pressure booster help? As I understand them, they would raise the line pressure so that the transmission will hold the gears longer and shift slightly more aggressively without having to reprogram anything. This is the one I've found, Line Pressure Booster Kit - RFE-LB1 - Sonnax I haven't found any info from someone who has actually installed one in a 66RFE though.