The Clattering Truck Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Looks like mine was build 3-14 so I should be good, probably just a slightly loose belt.

Exact same here.... my belt whines line a ***** when I first start but goes away after 5-10 seconds. I asked the dealer last oil change but of course they couldn't hear it since it was already warm. In the grand scheme of things I'll probably just live with it.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The store manager, a really nice guy I spoke to at length the other night, called me late this afternoon.

He told me that the diagnostics were finished, they sent the test results to Dodge and got back a reply that Dodge approves replacing the engine. A unit will be pulled from inventory at the final assembly plant and shipped to my local dealer.

No timeline for all this but he did say he would get confirmation of the shipment and have an estimated shipment date for me by early next week.

Sweet...

Then he dropped the other shoe....

He said he appreciated me as a repeat customer and to show that appreciation he asked if there was anything I would like to add to the truck from the accessory catalog or parts bin!

I said what I would really like, and keep looking at online, are a pair of power folding, auto dimming, puddle lighted, auxilary turn signal equipped, heated, manual fold up and out tow mirrors in black.

He said, "If you can get me the specific information on the parts, I'll make that happen." I'm calling my buddy the parts guy tomorrow for sure.

Gotta love having a good dealer.

Mr. Crowley

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 2500 4x4 Crew Cab
Engine
5.7Hemi
Wow.
Interested in reading the TSB.
Sounds like a pretty major screw up if "new engine" is the easiest/cheapest fix...

SupermanWV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
MADDOG I PMed you my email address. Could you please send me a copy of the service bulletin 09-002-15? Thanks.

SupermanWV (Clark)

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
Then he dropped the other shoe....

He said he appreciated me as a repeat customer and to show that appreciation he asked if there was anything I would like to add to the truck from the accessory catalog or parts bin!

This was actually my thought as well! The only thing I didn't option onto my truck that would be nice but really didn't want to pay for it was the navigation. I also figured i'd be able to find a way to pirate it onto there... So my goal is to try and push to have this turned on and see if I can't get them to cover another year or xm...

of course this is if my truck has to go under the knife... will find that out shortly...

Side note: it seems like 10 hours called out for the full engine swap seems pretty short in my opinion... I would assume it would take longer, but that just me...

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Wow.
Interested in reading the TSB.
Sounds like a pretty major screw up if "new engine" is the easiest/cheapest fix...

PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

MADDOG I PMed you my email address. Could you please send me a copy of the service bulletin 09-002-15? Thanks.

SupermanWV (Clark)

No PM received. Try again! I'll be glad to send it to you.

This was actually my thought as well! The only thing I didn't option onto my truck that would be nice but really didn't want to pay for it was the navigation. I also figured i'd be able to find a way to pirate it onto there... So my goal is to try and push to have this turned on and see if I can't get them to cover another year or xm...

of course this is if my truck has to go under the knife... will find that out shortly...

Side note: it seems like 10 hours called out for the full engine swap seems pretty short in my opinion... I would assume it would take longer, but that just me...

I was a bit confused by that as well. I know that the engine comes complete. This is not a shortblock replacement. I wonder if the 10 hours assumes the other engine is already out? I've been involved in several 6.1L swaps on some 300's and 10 hours to R&R for a qualified mechanic + one or two sets of helping hands is doable.

Anyway, my offer is open to any and all 6.4L engined truck owners who are experiencing a lot of noise. PM me your email address and I'll send you the documents.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Well, since I know mine is affected by it :) let me try that.

I emailed you the docs, RAMYOU.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Nope, the Service Bulletin mentioned here does not show up when I plug my VIN into that website.

RAMYOU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
thanks. I guess then that mopar site is strictly for fullblown recalls only - not for TSB.

Calvinm119

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ugh...just checked my '15 2500 and it was built in September 2014. It's weird, I hear a slight, very subtle clatter when I start it cold. I'm going to move in June so I think I'll wait until then. When I bought the truck in December, I drove it from Idaho to Missouri and it was fine. Hell it's fine now and has way more power than my heavily modified '06 Power Wagon ever did so I'm not going to worry about it right now. MADDOG, I'll still PM you for the TSB info.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Buying my 2500 6.4 in Idaho. But it's only 700 Miles away. They were great to deal with.

Calvinm119

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah, Im in the military and was reassigned from Washington to Missouri and my Power Wagon started giving me severe brake and electric problems. The dealer I bought the truck from was great. The closest dealer near me isn't the greatest so I'll wait until I move again.

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Ugh...just checked my '15 2500 and it was built in September 2014.

Same here. 2015, build date on the door is 9-14, purchased in Feb. 2015. Just started hearing a slight clatter this morning at just about 2500 miles. Hoping I'm not affected but now I'm nervous. Guess I'll give it a couple days and if it doesn't go away, I'll take it in to be checked.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
A short update.

The engine order has been placed and we should get shipping information this week. It could take a week to 10 days before we see it. :(

Everyone who has sent me a PM should have gotten an email back from me with the bulletin attached. If you have not heard from me, email me direct and I'll respond through that method.

My email address is [email protected]

I surely didn't mean to make you fellas with trucks outside the build date range nervous. If you truly think you have the problem, take it to the dealer along with a copy of the bulletin and ask them to diagnose the noise.

I gotta say...if you aren't sure the problem exists and you are outside of the date or VIN range, I suspect you don't have the problem. Honest, the clattering was LOUD! Old, clapped out, 550K miles on it Detroit Diesel LOUD!

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
I gotta say...if you aren't sure the problem exists and you are outside of the date or VIN range, I suspect you don't have the problem. Honest, the clattering was LOUD! Old, clapped out, 550K miles on it Detroit Diesel LOUD!

do you have any video links of this by chance?

Mine is very noticeable, but not diesel loud...

I have recorded every cold start up since i scheduled my appointment... :)

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

Was it that loud from the start or did it gradually get louder? The TSB specifies at cold start only was that the case for you? My clatter continues after the truck is warm.

Is there somewhere we can check out VINs? I know I fall in the date range but not sure about the VIN.

Does anyone know if this actually applies to 15s as well as 14s? The TSB only specifies 14s.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
do you have any video links of this by chance?

Mine is very noticeable, but not diesel loud...

I have recorded every cold start up since i scheduled my appointment... :)

I do not have a video link for this.

Was it that loud from the start or did it gradually get louder? The TSB specifies at cold start only was that the case for you? My clatter continues after the truck is warm.

Is there somewhere we can check out VINs? I know I fall in the date range but not sure about the VIN.

Does anyone know if this actually applies to 15s as well as 14s? The TSB only specifies 14s.

At first the truck only did it when cold but as I got a few more miles on it, it only quieted down and never went away totally.

The VIN's are on the TSB.

The TSB states it only applies to 6.4L's built between 6/16/14 through 10/7/14. However, if your dealer agrees to do the diagnostics they can always file the results with Dodge and see what happens.

PM or email me for the documents.

SupermanWV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My build date is Sept 2, 2014. But dealer said it was Sept 30, 2014. Which both fall within the build dates listed on the bulletin.

I called the dealer and they couldn't even find record of the bulletin number or the RRT number. So I emailed the bulletin to them. I just bought my truck on March 14, 2015.....and I really don't want a new motor put in it already. I wish they'd just give me a new truck. I've only drove 1700 miles on this one. For the cost I shouldn't have to replace a motor within 2 months.

Mines not loud but ticks like crazy. Especially when cold. But always when driving/under load. When I pass cars I hear it echo off of them. And it gets faster with acceleration. At first I thought it was a exhaust leak somewhere. But checked that all and that's not the case.

I really hate this with less than 2 months into the purchase of the truck. I know if they replace the motor I'll have more issues than I can shake a stick at. Wires loose, rattles where there weren't any before, trip after trip back to the dealer, leaks where I didn't have any before,,,,, etc.....

May 11th it goes in for evaluation. $10 bucks they hear nothing or can't reproduce the sound. Their usual response to stuff is, sounds normal, sounds like other trucks on the lot.

The service guy said he scheduled my truck for the 11th of May to make sure a diesel tech was here. I said....buddy it's a 6.4L HEMI....his response " yeah that's what I meant..." I'm not feeling good about it. So I called RAMTrucks customer assistance. They had no recollection of the TSB or the RRT and only connected me to my dealer....as no RECALLs showed up under my VIN and told me only the dealer could help me.

NOT FEELING GOOD ABOUT RAM RIGHT THIS MINUTE.

SupermanWV (Clark)