The Clattering Truck Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
SupermanWV I think your getting all bent out of shape a little early. Wait till you take it to the dealer before you get upset, there may not even be anything wrong. Like I said in an earlier post the 6.4 heavy duty engine is quite a bit noisier then a 5.7 in a 1500. If they say it's normal ask to hear another truck on the lot, and if it sounds the same then no worries.

Just because your truck falls within the date range doesn't mean it's guaranteed to have that issue. It's likely very few trucks will need an engine replacement.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I personally am not opposed to putting in a new engine. Mine has 1023 miles on it, I purchased it with 72 miles on the odo on March 28th.

I am confident in the tech who is working on it, the service manager who is following the work and the store manager. I've dealt with this dealer for years and while some folks come and go (usually the lot workers and first tier sales personnel), the core group has been there quite a while and has helped me with some issues in the past, all done to my satisfaction.

You may be setting yourself up for failure here. You DO NOT want to take that attitude into the store with you. It won't help, and may just quite possibly hurt, your chances of reaching resolution.

Last edited:

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Heres a kicker...my trucks been doing this since new. Door sticker says built 11/13. So i guess i dont qualify? It got really bad during the winter but not as bad now that its decent. It knocks and sounds like its pissed i woke it up. Then once it idles down and warms up it just ticks like a ****. Originally i was told it was normal but then mine was the only one at the dealership (and it was a dealer trade). Now they have 7 so im gonna put that to the test. Maddog im PMing you my email address, id like the tsb in hand.

SupermanWV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been nice to dealership thus far. I'm just disappointed in the fact that with such an expensive purchase that something like this could be an issue. And they wouldn't just replace the truck and not just the motor. The service guys may do a great job replacing it, but it still won't be the same. Like when your truck gets wrecked and they rebuild it like new....there's always something that isn't right and it rides right there in your mind for the rest of the time you own the vehicle.

I like to stay positive.... But the thought of all this has me down a little. As I never have the best of luck with vehicles.

I hope I'm worrying for nothing. But I've never heard the sounds I here with this truck in anything else I've driven. Especially the ticking sound I hear echoing off everything when I drive by it with my window down and foot on the throttle. Even when I just throttle it sitting in park. The only time it doesn't make the noise is after warm up and when I'm not on the throttle or in gear and it's just idling. And the tick increases with speed, but is always the same volume. And nothing like the injectors ticking that you can hear.

Can someone post a video of their truck (that doesn't have this issue) in park throttling so I can see if I hear the sound I'm use to hearing at this point. Or a video of cold start up when truck is idling high.

I love the truck and it's my 3rd RAM. But other two were 1500's. I wanna be happy with this truck for years to come. So I hope it's nothing and I'm just freaking out. I was gonna buy a diesel but opted for the 6.4L because my daily commute is only 3-4 miles each way. Thought that would be bad for a diesel. Since it wouldn't hit optimum temps. But this new 6.4L is making me nervous every. But like I said I hope I'm wrong.

Your alls comments help calm me. But I'm still on edge a little. But the 2500 is a whole new game for me. So hopefully it's just noisier than I'm use too. Post vids if you can. Appreciate all the info.

SupermanWV (Clark)

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Compared to your older 1500 it probably sounds like it's ready to come apart. I know the first time I did a pdi on a new 2500 with the 6.4, first thing I thought was "Geez this thing is kinda noisy". Everyone I've driven since then all sound similar. Honestly I don't know why the heavy duty 5.7 and 6.4 are noisier compared to a 1500, but they are. Maybe they don't have to meet the same noise requirements, I'm not sure. But the do make more noise.

If all you're hearing is a tick, it's probably nothing. There's a big difference in sound between a tick and knock. Also remember a cold engine will make more noise compared to a warm engine. So take it to the dealer, let them listen, and compare it to another truck on the lot if needed.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Heres a kicker...my trucks been doing this since new. Door sticker says built 11/13. So i guess i dont qualify? It got really bad during the winter but not as bad now that its decent. It knocks and sounds like its pissed i woke it up. Then once it idles down and warms up it just ticks like a ****. Originally i was told it was normal but then mine was the only one at the dealership (and it was a dealer trade). Now they have 7 so im gonna put that to the test. Maddog im PMing you my email address, id like the tsb in hand.

If the dealer is willing to do the TSB required diagnostics and the results are what is described there, then they might convince Dodge they have one that is outside the date and VIN range on the TSB.

I emailed you the TSB. Good luck!

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I'll post a vid after I get the new engine. Maybe it will help you conpare to yours, Clark.

I have no video or audio of the condition prior to taking it in.

hammer40

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a strange condition with my replacement engine I've noticed in the last couple weeks. When I have cruise on for an extended time, then brake for a sec and accelerate back up, I get a large plume of blue smoke. What could cause that. I'm also burning about a quart every 1500 miles.

Ideas?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

Even if your truck is outside the TSB, it doesn't really matter if you still have power train warranty. TSBs are only valid during the warranty period anyway. So if your truck does need a new engine due to noise it won't really matter if it falls in between the TSB range.

SupermanWV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a strange condition with my replacement engine I've noticed in the last couple weeks. When I have cruise on for an extended time, then brake for a sec and accelerate back up, I get a large plume of blue smoke. What could cause that. I'm also burning about a quart every 1500 miles.

Ideas?

That doesn't sound good. I'd get it looked at by the dealer who replaced the engine. Blue smoke is never good. Blue smoke means burning oil. Something isn't sealing right. Oil is getting through somewhere. Which explains the quart missing every 1500 miles.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That doesn't sound good. I'd get it looked at by the dealer who replaced the engine. Blue smoke is never good. Blue smoke means burning oil. Something isn't sealing right. Oil is getting through somewhere. Which explains the quart missing every 1500 miles.

I agree. Dodge should check that out for you. They will have you drive, stop by for an oil level check, they record the level, you drive some more, then stop by for an oil level check again, record the level again, drive some more...ad nauseum.

That's the process they normally use to determine the rate of usage.

A quart every 1500 miles???? I've had old clapped out straight 6 engines in old cars that didn't use that much.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could it be rings are not seating? I know in every engine I've built or had built, it did not use synthetic for first oil change. That is also why we are not supposed to hold steady rpm for first 500 miles or so. Get those rings to seat in the bore.

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
Well my truck was dropped off last night. Explained to the tech the issues i was seeing/hearing. The tech stated it sounded like nothing he has heard of prior with any of the 6.4's he's dealt with and he hasn't dealt with this TSB at all of course.. He said cracking the manifolds, breaking an exhaust bolt or even issues with the heat shields have caused some of the ticking sounds upon start up...

They were also going to looking into the annoying "clunk" of the suspension that it seems the 14+ trucks have when dropping into a pot hole or off a curb...

I have to admit that Ram has treated me fairly thus far, they covered the cost of giving me a brand new 1500 express to drive around in until my work is done. We also have a camping trip planned for memorial week and my dealership assured they would put me in a truck capable of towing my camper...

Side note for batman, keep in touch with you salesman as they make money trading and selling vehicles. My salesman mentioned he'd love to trade me out of my truck if it comes to an engine swap. He was looking at trading me straight across for a year or two old cummins laramie with low miles straight across... their asking price was higher than my final sale price... long story short is they will do what they can to make things right to keep their customer relations up. They can help fight against RAM and help get you into something with an original motor! :)

just have to play nice, till there is no reason left to play nice...

Attachments

• IMG_0632[1].jpg
    IMG_0632[1].jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 92

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Attempted to get a video of a cold start. 2 problems, firstly my phone didnt record the sound and second the truck started up fine this morning. No knock just injector tick. I think it might need to sit longer than 7 hours though. It seems like after 8 hours or more it has a harder time starting up.

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
First update from the dealer... started it this morning and didn't notice anything out of the norm... I seemed to hear it every morning.... so hoping i am just over analyzing...

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The Engine Is Here!

I had a funny feeling that something was up at the dealer today so I headed down there after I put in my 1/2 day's worth of work. At my advanced age, that's about all I am good for, whether I am there or not! :D

Sure enough, something was up. The store manager saw me walk in and came out to greet me, saying "We have a big box in the shop you should come out and see."

Of course I took pics...

050115%2001_zpsxw0orv1b.jpg

050115%2002_zps380ekhal.jpg

050115%2004_zpsxabofokp.jpg

I talked with the tech and he's gonna hit it hard Monday. He promised he will take a few pics along the way and he will also get my new tow mirrors installed as well.

So...good progress. Stay tuned!

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
First update from the dealer... started it this morning and didn't notice anything out of the norm... I seemed to hear it every morning.... so hoping i am just over analyzing...
I did a cold start after work, the second today. This time it sat almost 10 hours although it was in the sun but no noise. It seems now that im specifically looking for it, its not doing it lol. Im hoping i too am just paranoid :crazy:

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I did a cold start after work, the second today. This time it sat almost 10 hours although it was in the sun but no noise. It seems now that im specifically looking for it, its not doing it lol. Im hoping i too am just paranoid :crazy:

LOL...well, let's hope the noise is all in your imagination. :roflsquared:

14RedPowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I dropped off my 14 Power Wagon at the dealer the other day and they performed the diagnostics present in this TSB and determined that nothing was out of the ordinary(they kept it for two days and did the cold start TSB diagnostics twice just to make sure there was no issue). I think as stated previously that the 6.4 motor is a little noisier and was a little different than what I was used to with the 5.7 in my 2011 1500. Both the service writer and myself agreed that it doesn't hurt to atleast have it checked out as the diagnosis part of the TSB is fairly straight forward for the techs. I figured now atleast it is on file(I also opened a case file with Chrysler just in case there was an issue with the motor) in case something happens in the future.
I'll try to get a cold start video of my engine and post it for others to compare, in case you are questioning if this TSB applies to your truck.

jpro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
This is how mine sounded BEFORE engine replacement...apprx 11700 miles. It sounds worst than it really does because I stuck my phone between the fender and front passenger wheel and it picked up more sound that it should. If you were just standing next to the truck it's not as loud but what you will hear squealing sound. https://vimeo.com/126687140

This is how it sounds like AFTER engine replacement. It sounds just about thesame. No significant differrence except now I have a check engine light on! I'm not happy with that [emoji36]!https://vimeo.com/126687398