Educate Me on LSD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blazin383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Maybe I don't quite understand the function of a Limited Slip Dfferential (LSD) like I thought I did, but I ordered my 15 2500 4x4 with the 6.4 and LSD. I haven't done any off roading with it, but The other day I found myself turning a tight right hand turn off the road on to a very steep concrete driveway. Of course I was in 2-wheel drive on a dry surface, but as soon as the front started up the steep incline it lifted the right rear tire off the road and all forward movement stopped as the right rear wheel sat there spinning in mid air. No power transferred to the left rear wheel. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't the purpose of a LSD to transfer grip to the other side if traction is lost on one side?

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Sounds broken or wasn't installed.
Jack up your rear differential and by hand spin one tire, transmission in neutral.
If you have a L/S the other wheel will spin the same direction. If not it will spin the opposite direction.

RAMYOU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
from what I understand off the research I did for a while on this topic, it seems like the 2500 LSD doesnt transfer much power - almost no power - when one tire is completely lifted off the ground. in situations like u described, applying a little bit of brake helps even if the diff is completely open, but if u have LSD, applying brake will feed the LSD the needed friction and it will be darn close to having lockers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blazin383

Blazin383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
from what I understand off the research I did for a while on this topic, it seems like the 2500 LSD doesnt transfer much power almost no power when one tire is completely lifted off the ground.

Then what good is it? I've been told that adding a little brake pressure in this situation would prompt the transfer to the other side. Anyone have any experience with this?

RAMYOU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
sorry plz see my edited response. i was fumbling around with my phone trying to type a thorouggh response

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Your electronic LSD did not kick in when it should in that situation. Instead of just typing it all over again, here is a post I made about the differences and how they work....

Mechanical limited slip differentials works a bit differently than BLD. The BLD system brakes the wheel that is spinning to send the power to the opposite wheel that has traction. This means it stops or slows down a wheel to send power to the other wheel. This is good for slow off roading or when one tire is in the air. Although this works a lot better than an open diff, slowing down a wheel to gain traction is not ideal in sand, gravel, or other kind of surfaces that you need momentum to get you through. Another downside is the uneven brake wear if constantly used and you can overheat your brakes if it is overused, but this is extremely rare.

With the Torsen gear style LSD found in our Ram 2500/3500s, it does not brake the wheel to send power to the other. What it does is multiplies the torque traction of the spinning wheel to send more turning force to the wheel with traction depending on the the torque bias of the unit. IIRC, I think the torque bias ratio of the Trac-Rite GT in our trucks is 3:1 which means it can send up to three times the torque to the wheel with traction without slowing down a wheel. It also responds very quickly, and starts to transfer torque before BLD can activate. This limited slip is ideal for sand, gravel or other slippery surfaces where differentiation of torque bias is needed without hindering any forward momentum. The downside to this style of LSD is when one wheel is in the air. You cannot multiply torque if there is none to multiply.

This is where the BLD kicks in and aids the Torsen style LSD. With a tire in the air the Torsen LSD is helpless, but the BLD kicks in to apply braking force it give the LSD the torque it needs to multiply and send to the other wheel. Back in the day, guys with LSD used to use their park brake in these scenarios to brake the wheel enough to send power to the other wheel which worked fairly well depending on how good you were at it. This was called the "poor mans locker". Now BLD does it for you and even better since it only applies braking force to one wheel. Seperately these two systems are good for the certain situations they are best at, but together they will make your truck damn near unstoppable since they compensate each others downfalls. They don't replace lockers, but together they are damn close to being just as capable.

Hers is a quick video on the kind of LSD we have in our trucks. Although it is the Eaton True-Trac, the AAM Trac-Rite is the same and acts the same way. http://youtu.be/lZmsY2YvVsc

Last edited:

RAMYOU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yes a while ago SouthTexan took the time to give me this awsome explanation- hes such a kind hearted person

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Seems like someone is still a little butt hurt.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I came into this thread thinking "Explain LSD? FINALLY! My time to shine!"

Imagine my disappointment...

On a side note- SouthTexan's explanation of the LSD diff was great. Learned something new.

The War Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
It's an old Chebby, but HEY! LDS is LDS! :crazy:

[yt]BAe7-SNE0y0[/yt]

Last edited:

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I came into this thread thinking "Explain LSD? FINALLY! My time to shine!"

Imagine my disappointment...

On a side note- SouthTexan's explanation of the LSD diff was great. Learned something new.

Who knew Hunter S. Thompson was a truck guy???

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
With one tire in the air the only thing that will get you to move is a true locker. The limited slip needs some sort of resistance to transfer the torque. The brake lock differential works but not good enough to move the truck at all. It seems to work better in 4wd than 2wd.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
With one tire in the air the only thing that will get you to move is a true locker. The limited slip needs some sort of resistance to transfer the torque. The brake lock differential works but not good enough to move the truck at all. It seems to work better in 4wd than 2wd.

My 01 LSD is tight. Drive off a block with one wheel up. New design must suck.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm not sure what design your 01 would have but the new style is a helical style, not a horrible design but not I would still prefer a elocker.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD

The old 01 trucks had a clutch style LSD which have their pros and cons as well. The main pro for this style LSD is as you stated they are able to still apply torque to the opposite wheel when one tire is in the air. Another pro is that this style is generally cheaper as well.

The con to this style is that the clutches eventually wear out and the LSD will have to be replaced or rebuilt. The more the unit is used, the sooner it will have to be replaced. This is unlike the gear style LSDs in the newer trucks that never wear out. Another con is that since the clutches wear, then the amount of torque being transferred will slowly degrade as the clutches do. This is why you have to add special friction modifier to the diff oil every now and then to keep clutch style LSD's in contrast to the gear style that do not need any maintenance at all. Clutch style LSDs react slower than gear style as well. Lastly is the amount of power the clutch style unit is allowed to handle. A geared style can handle a lot more force and still work to where the clutch style has a much lower point to where the clutches will start to slip.

Both have their pros and cons, but as loveracing1988 said, nothing beats a full on locker off road.

Last edited:

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Stock Trutrac in my 9 1/4. I do agree but I'd like a Detroit. Mechanical.

The 01 Rams did not come stock with a Detroit/Eaton True Trac. The Detroit/Eaton True Trac is a gear style LSD just like the new trucks. The 01 Rams came with a clutch style LSD.

IIRC, Ram went to the gear style LSD when they switched to using AAM axles instead of Dana axles in 2003 and up year models. Every year model with LSD before 2003 with the Dana 80 Trac Lok limited slip were clutch style LSDs.

Last edited: