Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 4th Gen : 2009 - Present > Heavy Duty

Heavy Duty

Raced a 16 Silverado 2500hd-6.0...LOST

This is a discussion on Raced a 16 Silverado 2500hd-6.0...LOST within the Heavy Duty forums, part of the 4th Gen : 2009 - Present category!
Originally Posted by Danno So a gm 6.0 beat a 6.4, imagine that. There's no excuses but the 6.0 is ...

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2017, 04:27 PM   #21 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: 6.4
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
So a gm 6.0 beat a 6.4, imagine that. There's no excuses but the 6.0 is a beast.

2014 Ram 2500 HD: 6.4L HEMI vs. 6.0L Chevy [Ike Gauntlet HD] - The Fast Lane Truck
What's it been about 2 days since you posted this? I see therapy is working well.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
smiley3303 and RAM_Designs like this.

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:34 PM   #22 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2016
Engine: 6.4L Hemi
Danno is the epitome of a loser troll who lives in his parent's basement.

PML tranny and rear diff covers, Red Line fluids
RAM_Designs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:30 PM   #23 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2016
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Well here goes my race story, when I lived in new York there was a bridge that connected the two towns next to each other with a stop light at either end. But, only the right lane the one i was in was the lane to keep going straight at the other side of the bridge.

So here I am 19, in my 2004 f350 6.0 powerstroke drw cc long bed with my dads trailer and roughly 4 tons of coal. Some asshole that i went to school with was out driving his brand new corvette thing with his girl. I had my window down and he shouted bet I can beat you to the other side i laughed. So like any 19 year old would do, i started to brake boost. When the light turned green the vette was gone and here i am at the light watching the undercover cop that was behind me go screaming out to get him.

Needless to say i did make it to the other side of the bridge first, i waved to that kid i went to school with as i drove by and he gave me the finger. I still laugh about it to this day.
smiley3303 and mondo like this.
RamNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:12 AM   #24 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine: 6.7
Originally Posted by SHOOT2KILL View Post
The chevy was a c.c. s.b....Rolling start @ 20mph up to 100mph...DEAD EVEN the whole way till he just pulled me by 1 ft as I rolled past 100 mph and then backed off...So I lost...LOOOOOL....Unless you take into consideration these few other things...My RAM had an 8.5'...700# Western plow blade hooked to the front of my truck...I also had a 250# salt spreader mounted on the rear bumper...along with 1500# of de-icing rock salt in the bed of the truck...Sooo technically I lost the race by 1 foot @ 100 mph...His wife/girlfriend who was sitting in the passenger seat had such a big grin on her face I thought see may have been having an ORGASM.........
We have all done stupid sh!t in our days but 100 mph racing with a snow plow and a load of salt definitely endangered many more than I've ever done... Thank god no one ran out in front of you....

Story would be better if she got out and got in your truck by the way...
Gary's Hemi likes this.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:08 AM   #25 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2015
Engine: Hemi 6.4
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post

Story would be better if she got out and got in your truck by the way...
Gives new meaning to "racing for pink"

#iketimesmatter
smurfs_of_war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:35 PM   #26 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Name: $miley

Ram Year: 2009 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew 4WD
Engine: Hemi 5.7L
Originally Posted by RamNoob View Post
Well here goes my race story, when I lived in new York there was a bridge that connected the two towns next to each other with a stop light at either end. But, only the right lane the one i was in was the lane to keep going straight at the other side of the bridge.

So here I am 19, in my 2004 f350 6.0 powerstroke drw cc long bed with my dads trailer and roughly 4 tons of coal. Some asshole that i went to school with was out driving his brand new corvette thing with his girl. I had my window down and he shouted bet I can beat you to the other side i laughed. So like any 19 year old would do, i started to brake boost. When the light turned green the vette was gone and here i am at the light watching the undercover cop that was behind me go screaming out to get him.

Needless to say i did make it to the other side of the bridge first, i waved to that kid i went to school with as i drove by and he gave me the finger. I still laugh about it to this day.

I think we all grow up and learn sometimes when you lose you actually win and sometimes when you lose you actually win. It was a message of White Men Can't Jump long ago and it was and still is spot on. Unfortunately most of us still have flashes of needing to "win" at all cost and do stupid things. No judgement here on any post. At the end of the day your decision your consequence. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose and sometimes the result isn't even obvious until looking back.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:28 PM   #27 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2015
Engine: 6.4 Hemi
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
It can be had with the 4.10 gears on the DRW - I'm pretty sure this is the setup you must get to achieve the 33 million pound towing capacity bragged about in the commercials.

I think Ram's whole marketing and offering of their trannys is inferior to the other manufacturers. Having the "standard" tranny and then an upgrade naturally makes the standard one be perceived as a POS. This kind of gets into just a diesel thing but I think Chevy/GMC is genius for offering only the Allison with their diesel instead of a choice.

I think the 66rfe/68rfe trannys (Hemi and stock diesel respectively) will go down in history as a pretty crappy tranny. If Ram could either produce or partner with someone making a rock solid tranny it would propel them greatly. Bailing on the rfe entirely and just throwing an Aisin in everything would be a GREAT move
Of course it all comes down to money and one of the benefits of Ram is more for your money than the competition. So, to that extent I guess we just get what we get
Working on these trucks everyday I actually would want the RFE over the Aisin. In my experience unless you are heavily modded they are excellent transmissions, easier to work on and less expensive to repair than the aisin.

Just wondering what you are basing your opinion on.
yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:02 PM   #28 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Name: $miley

Ram Year: 2009 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew 4WD
Engine: Hemi 5.7L
Originally Posted by yoda View Post
Working on these trucks everyday I actually would want the RFE over the Aisin. In my experience unless you are heavily modded they are excellent transmissions, easier to work on and less expensive to repair than the aisin.

Just wondering what you are basing your opinion on.

Complaints... I don't work on them to be clear just thinking the GM model has worked well for them selling the transmission really more than the engine. Most agree the Cummins is a better engine but most also agree the Allison is a better transmission than the Ram standard issue. Have you had people complain or make fun of the Ram engines? Most people I know who may hate on Dodge/Ram can't say anything about the engines because too to bottom they are pretty awesome. The transmission reputation has lacked and even if it was marketing look at the Hemi... marketing sells.

I also believe overbuilt is always better than under built. Give people what they probably won't push to the limit vs what they will.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:51 PM   #29 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2017 2500 Tradesman
Originally Posted by SHOOT2KILL View Post
The chevy was a c.c. s.b....Rolling start @ 20mph up to 100mph...DEAD EVEN the whole way till he just pulled me by 1 ft as I rolled past 100 mph and then backed off...So I lost...LOOOOOL....Unless you take into consideration these few other things...My RAM had an 8.5'...700# Western plow blade hooked to the front of my truck...I also had a 250# salt spreader mounted on the rear bumper...along with 1500# of de-icing rock salt in the bed of the truck...Sooo technically I lost the race by 1 foot @ 100 mph...His wife/girlfriend who was sitting in the passenger seat had such a big grin on her face I thought see may have been having an ORGASM.........
I'd get out and torch my truck if I lost to a frickin' SNOW PLOW...
usaf2006 likes this.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:59 PM   #30 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2017 2500 Tradesman
Default Raced a 16 Silverado 2500hd-6.0...LOST
Originally Posted by smiley3303 View Post
I only wonder after reading this why they can't make the Aisin standard on HD trucks.

The 66/68 are actually great trannies. It's only on the forums where they get humped to death. There's a guy who runs a fleet of ram Diesels out of Louisiana relocating cars. He's got about 10, and a few have 2+ million miles on them. He said he buys the 68rfe's because he knows at 350,000 they need to be rebuilt and they are cheaper to rebuild than the Aisins.

He's not drag racing, and the trucks are stock. Just being used for what they were built for and the trannies do what they are supposed to do.

Now the 545's were actually garbage and the new ZF 8 speeds have no fluid check dipstick and "Lifetime" fluid (whose lifetime?)

To check the fluid on a ZF 8 speed you need a computer and NASA certified scientist as an assistant. Not for me...
smiley3303 likes this.

Last edited by smiley3303; 01-08-2017 at 11:43 AM.
HS-LD is offline   Reply With Quote