Towing travel trailer question (need help please)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

azeemtn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi All,
My first post. I'm a soon-to-be Ram 2500 owner. I have a family of 5, with 3 little kids, so I'm going mega-cab , and I like to go into the snow, so 4x4 as well. The problem I can't figure out if I can get by with Hemi 6.4 or need to move do Diesel.

It seems like the larger 5th wheel travel trailers have a GVWR over 10K, and the Hemi 6.4 has a GCVWR of 19,800.

I'm towing for a few vacations a year, that's pretty much it..

Also, the Diesel payload is 1900 and the Hemi is 2900.
With MegaCab, 5 people, and luggage, it seems like the tongue weight of a large trailer plus us will go over 1900 pounds, yet it looks like most 2500's are sold with Diesel.

What am I not understanding?

Thanks!

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The diesel engine weighs a lot more so it takes away from the available payload. The trucks are really the same other than the engines so a heavier engine = less weight left over for people and things. It is definitely strange I agree since the diesel is generally a much more capable truck.

I tow an 8500# loaded TT with my 6.4 and it's great. After owning numerous trucks of both diesel and gas, and different RVs from a TT to a large 5th wheel I personally would be looking at the diesel for much over 10,000# loaded and/or towing it often.

fwiw, I know the mega cabs are hard to find. The CC on the newer generation are way bigger than they use to be. So, just in case you haven't checked them out be sure to before you make up your mind for sure.

Good luck.... they're awesome trucks :favorites13:

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
The above post hits it pretty well the gvw for the 3/4 is 10k and the diesel weighs in about 7-800lbd less than the 6.4 giving it better payload. (The 5.7l gvw is only 9k so it has about the same payload as the diesel) typically from what I have seen if your going fifthwheel it's best to go 3500. My suggestion is to figure out what size trailer you want and look through bunch of floor plans and figure out what you want as far as a trailer goes, and check all of there hitch weights add up what your family weighs more your luggage and everything that's going into the truck to figure out what avilable payload you have left. Make sure to give yourself some wiggle room. The other end of the spectrum is how far will you be pulling this thing? How often? Will there be mountains? What is the total weight of the trailer? All that will be a factor to what engine you want. If you pulling through mountains and quite often and north of 10k you will want to step up to 3500 diesel. If your towing mostly flat to small hills a 6.4 with 4.10 would get you were you need to go and you can probably get it done with a 2500 sense the payload is so much higher. Untill you know about what trailer you want it's hard to give our opnions. You either buy a truck for the trailer or the trailer for the truck and never ask the salesman if it'll pull it his anwser will be yes every time do your math like you have been.

I'm sure ccrider will be along shortly he just went through this and ordered a 3500 with the 6.4, 4.10 combo.

Last edited:

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
As mtofell mentioned if you compare the crew cab to the mega, you will notice the leg room is the same. The mega gains you the reclining rear seats and some storage behind the seats. The mega also adds a substantial amount of weight to the curb weight of the vehicle. My crew cab 6.4 weighs in at 6900 with me inside, full tank of fuel and other loose goodies i have in the truck. That gives me 3100 pounds of legal capacity...

Some things to consider are is this going to be your daily driver? if so, how far? if you aren't driving very far the diesel may not be the best of options for you.

If you plan to tow often as others mentioned a diesel would be wise, if not the gasser will get it done.

if you are seriously considering a larger fifth wheel i'd advise you looking at the 1 ton trucks for the added pay load. your ride wont suffer much from the increase in payload but the stability while towing will be huge.... you dont necessarily need a dually but a single wheel 1 ton would be a great option...

Just food for thought...

braindead0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hugenormous
+1 on considering a 1-ton. If you're likely to got bigger, might as well buy a truck that can handle your future upgrades. Anything that a 1-ton can't handle will require an MDT which is a different beast entirely.

OP
OP
A

azeemtn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the tips.

The CrewCab would be okay, but that middle seat is not good at all with our car seats.

This is the main reason I'm going Mega.
Attached is Diono forward facing...

I drove a bunch of 3500's. The ride seems much harsher.
It's a touch choice since I will spend 10 months out of the year driving this thing alone...

The CrewCab has a bit under 400 Lbs more Payload and towing rating...

Attachments

• IMG_0416.jpg
    IMG_0416.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_0417.jpg
    IMG_0417.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 413

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
When you go on trips are they through the mountains and at high altitudes? What's the total trailer weight you would "guesstimate"?

And if a car seat hangs off a little bit that shouldn't cause any problems just check with your local fire department they should have someone certified in car seats. My sister in law isn't certified but is on a firedepartment and we check there car seats in my quad cab and the hung over pretty bad and she said it was fine as long as most of it was sitting on the seat and level. But definitely check with someone ceritified. car seats are not something to mess around with but by the pic it looks fine to me.

Last edited:

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
No offense here, but get a better car seat. Once I switched to Recaro's I can put them in the middle position fine, 3 across we've tested. And with the 1 month old, we keep it in the center with the sister behind the driver, this way mom can jump in the back when needed.

Not much more to add than all the great advice above. Consider how much trailer you want, and how much you'll use it. My mind is always blown by the size of trailer folks buy to use 3 to 4 times a year, and I live in mine with 2 kids and a wife.

Options always play a factor in payload, it's the one thing that is hard to explain. Add a sunroof and leather seats and boom, less payload. Take it away, more payload, etc, same on the engine combo's.

Sounds like a 2500 is the spot for you and your family, you just need to figure out your trailer and how it will mesh with your lifestyle.

I'd consider diesel if going thru the rockies with over 10K trailer personally.

As for your payload concerns, just learn to pack properly. I have a half ton, I don't hook up and throw an ATV in the bed, obviously.

You're over thinking it probably. How much stuff do you actually need to take with you? lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

azeemtn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It looks like 6.4 Hemi 2500 SHOULD be fine for us. I have actually tried a smaller booster seat in the middle for our 5 year old. Here's a picture of that. It does fit in there a lot better... I just don't know if it is worth the smaller interior considering how much stuff those kids travel with for the 400 lbs of payload increase. That by itself doesn't seem to matter as the GCVWR of the CrewCab 6.4 Hemi 4x4 is the SAME 19,800 lbs. It does make me nervous with buying a 2500 and then finding out later I didn't buy enough truck. If the 3500 rode better, I would just go there, but I spend way too much time driving places with ZERO load and zero company.

How are you guys finding car seats that don't overhang that tiny middle seat? The graco has ZERO back to it, and still overhangs by about 1" ?

I live in San Jose, so trips WOULD potentially go through the sierra nevada and it's 8,000 ft.+ peaks on Highway 80. Looks like most travel trailers that weigh around 6K would be no issue. It's the larger 5th wheels that look like you must have a 3500. What I don't understand is that even though a 2500 4x4 Megacab 6.7 CTD has a GCVWR of 27,000 Lbs, It's Payload is 1900. With that, how can you put a heavy 5th wheel on at all without going over the payload limit since the pin weights on these are over 2k?

Attachments

• graco.jpg
    graco.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 724

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
Thanks for the tips.

The CrewCab would be okay, but that middle seat is not good at all with our car seats.

This is the main reason I'm going Mega.
Attached is Diono forward facing...

I drove a bunch of 3500's. The ride seems much harsher.
It's a touch choice since I will spend 10 months out of the year driving this thing alone...

The CrewCab has a bit under 400 Lbs more Payload and towing rating...

What do you see as the issue with the truck seats and your car seat?

With the UAS system and the rear tie back, car seats cannot go anywhere.
Looks like you have similar car seats as us, ours have a little more side cushions, but look the same, and I know they are not cheap and considered very high on the safety factor......our second set of cheaper seats seem to suit/fit seats in vehicles better, but they are no where near the same as the ones we have like yours.

Someone mentioned above the Megacab and Crewcab rear seats are the same, if so, that will not fix the issue.

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
I would remove those head rests on the rear seat with any type of kids seats, they fit better with it gone.

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
Either get a tt or FW within the 2500 payload, or get a 3500 and have plenty of payload to spare for most FW's out there. My 3500 srw has 4100lbs of payload. The 6.4 with 3:73's handles my 38' 11, 000lb FW fine.

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
Hvae you ever towed with a diesel? If you have you may not like the 6.4 gas engine. I towed with an 06 cummins prior to trading for my 2015 6.4 crew cab with the 3.73 gears and the hemi leaves some to be desired for me... Hugely due to the fact i've towed the exact same trailer with the diesel engine and i pay WAY too much attention to what the truck is doing... The 6.4 hemi is way more than capable of what i want it to do, but it is definitely exerting more effort than i want.

If i had to do it all over again I'd do it the same way again, minus probably getting 4.10 gears. I say this as i only drive a mile to work. Only reason i drive is i am on our fire department and need to get to our station in a hurry on occasion...

OP
OP
A

azeemtn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all the info.
I think for the few times we'll take a TT out, I can stick to the non 5th wheel types. If this turns into something more often , a 3500 CTD looks to be the ticket. Thanks for the help everyone. I really appreciate it.

OP
OP
A

azeemtn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Quick Note, The MegaCab has a bench seat in the back that is the same width for all 3 passengers.. Sort of something I thought of for when adults may want to be in the back as well...

skHemi64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The main difference between the 2500 and 3500 is bed-carrying capacity. Towing capacity is pretty much similar. A 2500 will still allow you to get a large 5th wheel and not get anywhere near to the bed-carrying capacity of the 2500.

So, IMHO, don't fret over 2500 vs 3500. Especially when it comes to SRW. Each is a fine truck and will tow just as well as the other. What to be concerned about is shortbed vs longbed (5th wheel towing), and comfort factor of the inside cab. I prefer a longbed for 5th wheel towing. Shortbed for TT towing. That's just me. I have always had a longbed and would never ever think about owning a shortbed.

Ram Trucks - Towing Capacity Chart

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
Azeemtn, I wount touch the towing part as many others here have much more experience than I with the big, heavy loads.

I just had my Mega Cab ship into the dealer where I ordered. Typical 2500 Laramie 4x4 6.4. The biggest reason I chose the Ram was because of the Mega Cab option. We are only a family for three. Me, wifey and 11 year old son and our Boxer. While we do fly we try to take all of our vacations by driving as much as 4000 miles round trip for some getaways. We tend to over pack. Much of this we like to keep in the cab like a back for each of us, extra coats, two laptops, large handbag of snacks and drinks, medium duffle of change of clothes for each of us, one of two pillows and throw blankets.and generally at least one large rifle case and two handgun cases. This doesn't include our luggage in the bed. Some of these trips we will drive 900-1400 miles straight so all this gear in the cab make it more comfortable. The reclining seats in the Mega for good sleep are a huge plus.

Not sure how you pack and travel with five but I'd imagine you'd have as much or more. Also, I think you said you have a five year old. Depending on their size, they may be out of that booster real soon and it may not be concern before long. Just some thoughts on my end that may help. Good luck on the decision.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The main difference between the 2500 and 3500 is bed-carrying capacity. Towing capacity is pretty much similar. A 2500 will still allow you to get a large 5th wheel and not get anywhere near to the bed-carrying capacity of the 2500.

So, IMHO, don't fret over 2500 vs 3500. Especially when it comes to SRW. Each is a fine truck and will tow just as well as the other. What to be concerned about is shortbed vs longbed (5th wheel towing), and comfort factor of the inside cab. I prefer a longbed for 5th wheel towing. Shortbed for TT towing. That's just me. I have always had a longbed and would never ever think about owning a shortbed.

Ram Trucks - Towing Capacity Chart

The payload of the 2500 Cummins trucks is just over 2000 pounds. When you are taking a 5th wheel weighing 15000 pounds you are looking at at least 2000 pounds of pin weight before passengers or gear in the bed, so how shouldn't one worry?

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Also, the Diesel payload is 1900 and the Hemi is 2900.
With MegaCab, 5 people, and luggage, it seems like the tongue weight of a large trailer plus us will go over 1900 pounds, yet it looks like most 2500's are sold with Diesel.

What am I not understanding?

Because those who know, know that those numbers are farce and are due to government regulations rather than what the truck can handle.

The US DOT(Department of Transportation) and EPA(Environmental Protection Agency) classifies on-highway vehicles in 8 different classes with class 2 being broken down into two different segments. The classes for the light duty(yes a 350/3500 is considered light duty) are as follows;

Light Duty
Class 1: 0 - 6,000 lbs GVWR (small cars and midsize trucks)
Class 2A: 6,0001 - 8,500 lbs GVWR (150/1500 trucks and vans)
Class 2B: 8,501 - 10,000 lbs GVWR (250/2500 trucks and vans)
Class 3: 10,001 - 14,000 lbs GVWR (350/3500 trucks and vans)

The GVWRs for the rest of the classes can be found here.

In most cases, how a vehicle manufacturer determines a vehicles GVWR is by looking at all of the specs of the truck like the frame strength, braking ability, and GAWR to come up with a number that the vehicle can handle. To get the payload number, the vehicle manufacturer subtracts the curb weight of the vehicle from the GVWR. The closer the curb weight the truck is to its GVWR, the less payload it will have. Now here is where it gets complicated.

In the case of Class 2b trucks where 2500s diesels are, the truck reaches the max GVWR of the 2b class (10,000 lbs) long before the specs of its parts can handle. Take my 2014 Ram 2500 CTD for example. My truck is limited by the class it is in rather than the sum of its parts. How can I say this? Easy, take a look at the parts and their ratings in other vehicles.

My 10,000 lbs GVWR Ram 2500 with a little over 2,100 payload shares the same engine, transmission, front axle, front suspension, rear axle, tires, axle gearing, driveline, brakes, and frame as the SRW 3500 CTD 11,700 lbs GVWR that has a payload of over 3,900 lbs. How is it that my truck has the same front GAWR of 6,000 lbs as the 3500 and a rear GAWR of 6,500 lbs (which is only 500 lbs less than the 7,000 lb rear GAWR of the 3500) yet my truck has almost 2,000 lbs less payload then that very same 3500 SRW. Remember, they are identical trucks except for the rear suspension which is only rated to handle 500 lbs less by its GAWR. If you take away 500 lbs from the 3500s 11,700 lb GVWR, then that would leave you with a 11,200 lbs GVWR which would give me a payload of well over 3,000 lbs.

Lets see what that rear suspension can handle in other trucks. In the identical truck like mine, but with an almost 1,000 lbs lighter 6.4L, the truck has a 10,000 lbs GVWR with over 3,100 payload. Hmmm, seems odd. I have the same rear coils as this 6.4L in my CTD, yet it is only rated the exact weight difference of the engine. Now, before you say "the extra weight of the engine is what does it". Remember that the rest of the truck is the same as the 3500 which is rated to handle much more weight and the engine rests on the front axle system which should not affect the rear suspension at all.

So why does it have less payload even though the very same coils in the rear can handle more in another truck? Because my truck reaches the max GVWR of it's class long before it reaches the capabilities of its parts. If my truck had the same payload as the 6.4L version of mine, then it would have a GVWR of over 10,000 lbs which is a class 3 truck and is where the 3500 truck resides. Ram has to comply by this class rating and so does every other manufacturer. So you end up with a 2500 with a maxed out GVWR of 10,000 lbs (going by regulations) which in turn makes the payload low because payload is derived from subtracting the curb weight from the GVWR.

If you actually went by the specs and ratings of the 2500 parts then you will see it can handle way more than the low payload it is given to comply with the 10,000 lb max GVWR of its class and it's real GVWR should be around 11,200 which would increase its payload to about 3,300 lbs. In many states this does not even matter at all because they do not have laws requiring a payload sticker unless it is being used for commercial purposes. What really matters is what you register your truck as. There are even some states that actually allow you to register your vehicle as a higher GVWR vehicle just as long as you are willing to pay the higher fee for it.

Also keep in mind that this does not apply to Ram 1500s. All Ram 1500s have a GVWR less than 7,000 lbs which you can see in the chart above is considerably less than the max 8,500 lbs of their class. This would mean that something else is limiting the 1500s, and it is not limited by its max class rating like the 2500s are.

I know it was long, but I hope it helped you better understand.

Last edited:

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a mega cab and 14 month old twins, and our car seats are HUGE.. I will put up some pics for u in a minute. But when we travel the wife jumps over the center console to comfort/ deal with the kids with ease.. then she wants to drive and my 6"4 230 pound ass has to do it.. and it really isn't bad. I leave my back seat half reclined so it makes for a more comfy ride for the adult in the middle. My brother just had another baby so we baby sat and had 3 full size car seats in there. they fit surprisingly well, but the dog wasn't happy about it lol