what do these #s mean for oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Getting ready to change break in oil on my 6.4. Im around 600 miles on the odometer now and going to pick up my new toy hauler saturday. Should I wait till after pulling it home , or does it not matter. Im going to take it easy if I dont get 1k miles on it by then which Im sure I wont. I know manual says only do around 50mph towing before 1000 miles and after 500. Its a good amount of weight so Im a little concerned when the best time to change it is. Im trying to decide if i should stay with the pennzoil or go with the mobil which is very cheap and available at wally world. I have read so many different things. I know the viscocity is all that matters and some of it is marketing on the pennzoil. But, Im also a little nervous to switch from it. If its only $30 or $40 more per year to stay with pennzoil.....what the hell. But, if mobil is the better oil, i would rather have it. I dont understand these tests. Are the higher or lower numbers better and for which tests? What oil are u guys using?

March 2013 - Test Results for AP

Oh sorry guys . thats 5w30 oil. I guess that makes a difference

Last edited:

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Just stay with the 0W40 oil. My dealership uses the mobile 1 brand. I think it's listed at the European version. And on milage. I've got over 32,000 miles on my 6.4L motor now and I change it when it gets to about 7,000 miles to 8,000 miles. There is nothing I have ever seen that says 500 miles. And the oil that comes in these trucks is not a special oil. It's just normal 0W40. It's your choice to change it when ever you want. But anything under 5,000 miles is a waste of money. So if ya got money just popping out of your pocket, then by all means. Have at it. Out of my 32,000 miles I'd say at least 6,000 to 7,000 of it is towing between 8,000 lbs & 10,000 lbs. And I have no issues of burning oil or anything.

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Getting ready to change break in oil on my 6.4. Im around 600 miles on the odometer now and going to pick up my new toy hauler saturday. Should I wait till after pulling it home , or does it not matter. Im going to take it easy if I dont get 1k miles on it by then which Im sure I wont. I know manual says only do around 50mph towing before 1000 miles and after 500. Its a good amount of weight so Im a little concerned when the best time to change it is. Im trying to decide if i should stay with the pennzoil or go with the mobil which is very cheap and available at wally world. I have read so many different things. I know the viscocity is all that matters and some of it is marketing on the pennzoil. But, Im also a little nervous to switch from it. If its only $30 or $40 more per year to stay with pennzoil.....what the hell. But, if mobil is the better oil, i would rather have it. I dont understand these tests. Are the higher or lower numbers better and for which tests? What oil are u guys using?

March 2013 - Test Results for AP

Oh sorry guys . thats 5w30 oil. I guess that makes a difference

I'd stick with the recommended 0W-40.....first number is the viscosity when cold and second number is the viscosity when warm.......a 0-40 is a 40wt oil that is lighter when cold then a 10W-40......both are 40wt oils when warm however. 0w-40 will provide for smooth start-ups compared to a thicker oil (ie. higher than 0W).....if they say 0W....and you have a warranty left, stick with 0W.

But WTF do I know.....I'm new here.......lol

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
plus the 0-40synthetic has something to do with the mds and the valves- but I could be wrong - I use the penzoil

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Geeez, I never said anything about and never would put 10w40 in there. The Pennzoil just isn't conveniently available

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I wouldn't worry about changeing it, and if you want to change it I would do it after you bring the trailer home I case it does cause a little extra wear that will be cought in the first oil change. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the only 0-40 that's approved by chrysler for warranty is the penzoil, check with lovesracing he's already researched this I never was a penzoil fan but I had a f-150 that I bought with 271k drove to 300k and it didn't use a drop of oil and it had only ever seen pinzoil, and with it being the factory fill I just stuck with it. I like mobile 1 used it in my last ram and my srt4 never had any issues but they don't meet chryslers standereds.

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Idk. I've seen a lot of posts saying that is just cause pennzoil and ram have an agreement. Can they really not honor your warranty because you use Mobil? I would imagine not if it got down and dirty in court. They don't have pennzoil at any auto parts store around me. I haven't gone to dealer.

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
My dealership only has the mobile 1 European 0W40 blend. The only difference is when I do it myself I save about $40 per change. And changing it at 500-1,000 miles on it. You haven't broke anything in at all. Mine as well as many others didn't lose up till about 3,000-5,000 miles on these motors. And I towed with mine with in the first 1,000 miles. The lowest I've heard anyone having theirs lose up meaning the sharp edger was worn off was about 2,500 miles. Mine never got over 10 mpg till about 3,000 miles.

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Idk. I've seen a lot of posts saying that is just cause pennzoil and ram have an agreement. Can they really not honor your warranty because you use Mobil? I would imagine not if it got down and dirty in court. They don't have pennzoil at any auto parts store around me. I haven't gone to dealer.
I agree. Call your local dealership. See what they have. And if they are using Mobile 1. Then they have to honor it.

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Somebody else told me that: it's not broken in till around 3k. But I have read where guys do it at 1k and even 500. At $40 which is what it would cost with the Mobil I could do it 5x year. No biggie :) thanks everybody

Squidbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

They have to honor your warranty no matter what oil you use, as long as its the correct weight oil and meets or exceeds specs. This is assuming your in the USA.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
They have to honor your warranty no matter what oil you use, as long as its the correct weight oil and meets or exceeds specs. This is assuming your in the USA.

Unless they certified another oil in the last couple months they could void the warranty for not using penzoil as it is the only oil that meets the chrysler specifications. Like said above if the dealer wants to use a different oil like the Mobil one euro oil they are in the hook for the warranty cost if something does go wrong. I wouldn't be putting that in on my own though. $65 to $70 for everything on Amazon with free shipping for the penzoil and a filter, if you subscribe you can knock $7 off of that.

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Unless they certified another oil in the last couple months they could void the warranty for not using penzoil as it is the only oil that meets the chrysler specifications. Like said above if the dealer wants to use a different oil like the Mobil one euro oil they are in the hook for the warranty cost if something does go wrong. I wouldn't be putting that in on my own though. $65 to $70 for everything on Amazon with free shipping for the penzoil and a filter, if you subscribe you can knock $7 off of that.
Well tell that to my dealership. Lol. Because when I asked the service manager that very question. He laughed real loud and said that's ********. Lol. His words "we don't use Penzoil for anything and no it will not void your warranty if you change your oil on your own with the same stuff we use." I don't know where you are getting your info. And yes, we can test oils to check the viscosity and general additives or weights. We do it at the motorcycle shop I work at because people put car out in bikes and atv's all the time.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well tell that to my dealership. Lol. Because when I asked the service manager that very question. He laughed real loud and said that's ********. Lol. His words "we don't use Penzoil for anything and no it will not void your warranty if you change your oil on your own with the same stuff we use." I don't know where you are getting your info. And yes, we can test oils to check the viscosity and general additives or weights. We do it at the motorcycle shop I work at because people put car out in bikes and atv's all the time.

You obviously have a good dealer, so you will be fine no matter what. If your local dealer wants to press the issue though and you can't provide receipts showing you put the proper oil in they can deny the warranty claim.

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
When you look up the additives in the mobile 1 and penzoil 0W40 oils there is only 1 additive that is different. And in all the tests conducted my numerous agencies. They both performed the very same. And if a dealership is going to fight you on that, they would even fight you if you had your oil changed thru them. That's just a cramps dealership.

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
Suspect all dealers are using the Penz Ultra Platinum as that is what the manual states. From all I can find, the Mobil ow40 European will not be an issue. Probably, after my oil changes run out by next March, will switch to the Mobil as I can get it anywhere at walmart. Was hoping they would start to stock Penz. As for the first change, think I would pull as easily as I could and then get the first change afterward.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Actually Ram can void the warranty if that Mobil 1 0W40 does not meet their spec. As per the owner's manual on page 678 "Use Pennzoil UltraTM 0W40 engine or equivalent MOPAR oil meeting the Chrysler Material Standard MS-12633 for use in all operating temperatures."

The keywords in there os "or equivalent" and the other important thing in there is MS-12633. If the oil does not meet that standard then Ram can void your warranty per the Magnuson-Moss Act. They cannot specifically tell you that you have to use a certain brand, but they can tell you it has to meet a certain spec(which they clearly do) or your warranty could be voided. From the looks of Mobil's website about their 0W40, it does not say anywhere that it meets that special MS-12633 standard.

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1

Also, dealers are not the manufacturer. They are two separate entities and companies. Just because a dealer says it is okay does not mean it is per the manufacturer. Most of the time, a dealer uses a certain bulk oil because he gets a good deal on it in his area. It has nothing to do with "what Ram recommends" and has more to do with what will save them the most money or who's their favorite oil salesman. If they are using bulk oil to give you that smokin good price for your oil change, then more then likely it is not the recommended oil. If they say that they will have to charge you more for your oil change over regular vehicles and bust out a box of oil instead of the bulk, then they are probably using the recommended oil. The dealer might lie for you on certain warrantable issues, but if Ram/Chrysler wanted to have an oil sample done on a major issue then they would know right then and there that you were not using the right oil.

EDIT: If you select the "Which oil is for my vehicle?" button in that Mobil link I provided, and select the Ram 2500 with a 6.4L then it will tell you this....

"Based on what you've told us, your vehicle manufacturer recommends a 0W-40 viscosity and oil that meets Chrysler MS-12633. We currently do not offer any motor oils in the United States that meet these specifications. The recommended oil filter is M1-113."

https://mobiloil.com/en/product-selector?Year=2014&Make=UmFt&Model=MjUwMA%3D%3D&Engine=TGFyYW1pZSBMb25naG9ybiA4LUN5bCA2LjQgKEdBUyk%3D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990