Oil percent .what does that mean ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I don't know what's confusing, she has not changed the oil or if it was changed the kid never reset the light.
The book will tell you when the oil should be changed, usually 5km., or as in the case of some of my stuff, just before winter settled in.
The wifes car is usually still at 50-60% life when it is 1-2 yrs old oil.
Your truck will have a meter in the gauge cluster if you changed the setting with the steering wheel buttons.

ts27330

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6
There is no way a 2023 anything should have run down to 0% in this short of a time, unless you've driven round-trip across the US 2 or 3 times. I'm thinking it didn't get set to zero at the factory.
Unless the oil life monitor has never been reset at previous oil change.

truck2569

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I life.... I believe this takes synthetic oil.... and on my wife's Ram is is every 5,000 miles and on my Camery it needs to be changes every 10,000 miles . What is the mileage between changes ?
I use 5w40 full synthetic in my 3500 change the oil every 10,000 if running the truck a lot. if not then less because diesel fuel some leaks into the crankcase in time and thins the oil. As far as 0 percent. it usually means it is time for an oil change. They set the gauge when they change the oil and it goes and counts down by how many miles you drive. If she is worried just pop the hood and make sure there is oil on the dipstick. Any vehicle can take synthetic oil just that most of the new vehicles are synthetic already.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any vehicle can take synthetic oil just that most of the new vehicles are synthetic already.
only caveat is that synthetic oil has smaller sized particles then conventional oil
so if you put synthetic in an old engine, which was build when conventional oil was the standard, it could leak with the synthetic while it doesnt leak with the conventional

truck2569

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
only caveat is that synthetic oil has smaller sized particles then conventional oil
so if you put synthetic in an old engine, which was build when conventional oil was the standard, it could leak with the synthetic while it doesnt leak with the conventional
That is true, the only time I had that problem was when I switched from standard full synthetic to Amsoil synthetic. I ended up switching back to the oil I was using.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
That's a misnomer. Synthetic is made from conventional oil or cracked hydrocarbons like natural gas. The difference is usually in the additive package. Synthetics tend to have more detergents in them. All the carbon fouling that conventional oil leaves behind (due to people not changing their oil early enough), which was acting as a seal on old seals, gets removed causing the seals to leak. Synthetics don't break down as quickly and keep contaminants in suspension longer due to the additives, which is why you can do longer oil change intervals.

truck2569

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use 5w40 full synthetic in my 3500 change the oil every 10,000 if running the truck a lot. if not then less because diesel fuel some leaks into the crankcase in time and thins the oil. As far as 0 percent. it usually means it is time for an oil change. They set the gauge when they change the oil and it goes and counts down by how many miles you drive. If she is worried just pop the hood and make sure there is oil on the dipstick. Any vehicle can take synthetic oil just that most of the new vehicles are synthetic already.
What does your owners manual for the vehicle recommend. It should have a chart.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don't know what's confusing, she has not changed the oil or if it was changed the kid never reset the light.
The book will tell you when the oil should be changed, usually 5km., or as in the case of some of my stuff, just before winter settled in.
I'll assume you meant 5000km, but that's only 3000miles. Too soon and wasting money.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I was thinking 5 k(000) miles But yes up here we use kilometre. But my mind still thinks in old school /miles.
All my relatives live in Canada. I remember visiting right after Canada went metric back in the 70's and asking my cousins how to do the conversion. Everyone told me, "Just use miles, feet, inches, and whatnot. No one here uses that metric stuff." I said, "Yeah, but your speed limit signs are in KPH and I don't want to get a ticket." I was told to multiply KPH by 0.6 to get miles, and to multiply MPH by 1.6 to get KPH. Seems to work well, it's close enough, and I can do it in my head.

The Celsius to Fahrenheit thing is different, however. Multiplying °C by 2 then adding 30 seems to get me close to °F, but I never could figure out a simple way to go from °F to °C. The official formula to find Celsius temperature from Fahrenheit is: °F = (°C × 9/5) + 32; and the formula to find a Fahrenheit temperature from Celsius is: °C = (°F − 32) x 5/9 is too complex to remember.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I think in C now, but also have a old one thermometer in the garage with both scales on it.
Only thing to remember , 20C is warm, 0c beer freezes, -40 in C or F is the same , damn cold.
Distance is usual 1 hour or 3 hour drive to the big city and the Girl.
I do like liters , ML, better them gallons US, or Imperial, quarts, pints , oz.
Math was never my strong suit, Dad never needed a calculator , he was great with numbers.
Thou I can usually figure out taxes in my head when I was doing g. shows.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I think in C now, but also have a old one thermometer in the garage with both scales on it.
Only thing to remember , 20C is warm, 0c beer freezes, -40 in C or F is the same , damn cold.
Distance is usual 1 hour or 3 hour drive to the big city and the Girl.
Yes, I remember that -40 is the same in both. And have you noticed that men usually speak of distances in time units like, "It takes x amount of time to go from Point A to Point B", but women usually want to know the miles.

MontanaHandyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My oci's are real simple: every spring and every fall...when it's warm. Many years ago I'd change per mileage, and all too often end up changing it in sub freezing or even sub zero weather. No...thank...you. I change the viscosity anyway, since we can experience -50f in winter to over 100f in summer, and my bones aren't getting any younger! Lol!

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My oci's are real simple: every spring and every fall...when it's warm. Many years ago I'd change per mileage, and all too often end up changing it in sub freezing or even sub zero weather. No...thank...you. I change the viscosity anyway, since we can experience -50f in winter to over 100f in summer, and my bones aren't getting any younger! Lol!
I got into the habit of doing the same thing after I got caught about 15 years ago needing to change in January. It wasn't -50, but it was in the 30's all week and the wind never stopped blowing. I had to do it in 5 minute increments because my hands went numb.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just let it idle for 20 minutes before you change the oil, it will drain out better and be nice and warm

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just let it idle for 20 minutes before you change the oil, it will drain out better and be nice and warm
That's fine for the oil, but unless you intend to run it over your hands on purpose to thaw them out changing oil in below freezing temps is a PITA.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's fine for the oil, but unless you intend to run it over your hands on purpose to thaw them out changing oil in below freezing temps is a PITA.
You use the oilpan to warm your hands on
It doesn't take that long to change the oil on a truck, you don't even need to jack it up

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Seriously, you expect a female to keep up with miles since oil change? I could replace all the gauges in my trucks with Christmas tree ornaments and it'd be a month before my wife even noticed...if then! :)

Along these lines..... :) :)

Attachments

• Screenshot (325).png
    Screenshot (325).png
    187.6 KB · Views: 12

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque

0W 20 synthetic works in all temps. Don't over dramatize it.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat