Oil percent .what does that mean ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Turn the ignition to "Run" but don't start the engine,and then step on the gas pedal 3 times in fairly short order,turn ignition off,open and close door,and that should reset the oil minder.
Mine has two different methods. You can take the long way around:
Oil Life Reset Procedure
1. Without pushing the brake pedal, push the ENGINE
START/STOP button and place the ignition to the
ON/RUN position (do not start the engine).
2. Push and release the down arrow button to
scroll downward through the main menu to “Vehicle
Info.”
3. Push and release the right arrow button to
access the ”Vehicle Info” screen, then scroll up or
down to select “Oil Life.”
4. Push and hold the right arrow button to select
“Reset”.
5. Push and release the down arrow button to
select “Yes,” then push and release the right
arrow button to reset the Oil Life to 100%.
6. Push and release the up arrow button to exit the
instrument cluster display screen.

Or you can do it in 10 seconds:

Secondary Method Of Resetting Engine Oil Life
1. Without pressing the brake pedal, push the ENGINE
2. Fully press the accelerator pedal, slowly, three times
within ten seconds.
3. Without pushing the brake pedal, push the ENGINE
START/STOP button once to return the ignition to the
OFF position.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Mine has two different methods. You can take the long way around:
Oil Life Reset Procedure
1. Without pushing the brake pedal, push the ENGINE
2. Push and release the down arrow button to
scroll downward through the main menu to “Vehicle
Info.”
3. Push and release the right arrow button to
access the ”Vehicle Info” screen, then scroll up or
down to select “Oil Life.”
4. Push and hold the right arrow button to select
“Reset”.
5. Push and release the down arrow button to
select “Yes,” then push and release the right
arrow button to reset the Oil Life to 100%.
6. Push and release the up arrow button to exit the
instrument cluster display screen.

Or you can do it in 10 seconds:

Secondary Method Of Resetting Engine Oil Life
1. Without pressing the brake pedal, push the ENGINE
2. Fully press the accelerator pedal, slowly, three times
within ten seconds.
3. Without pushing the brake pedal, push the ENGINE
START/STOP button once to return the ignition to the
OFF position.
The secondary method is the one i described and is pretty well an industry standard,that works on the majority of north american built vehicles,not just Chryco products.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Turn the ignition to "Run" but don't start the engine,and then step on the gas pedal 3 times in fairly short order,turn ignition off,open and close door,and that should reset the oil minder.
Thanks Rick! Never knew this method. The dang reset process in the menu takes longer than the oil change itself.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
There is no way a 2023 anything should have run down to 0% in this short of a time, unless you've driven round-trip across the US 2 or 3 times. I'm thinking it didn't get set to zero at the factory.
You realize 2023 models came out at the end of 2022?

Regardless, I used to drive 117 miles round trip to work every day. I'd easily put 700-750 miles a week on my truck between work, errands and fishing. I was changing my oil every 2 months.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You realize 2023 models came out at the end of 2022?
I couldn't even order my 2500 until January.

Regardless, I used to drive 117 miles round trip to work every day. I'd easily put 700-750 miles a week on my truck between work, errands and fishing. I was changing my oil every 2 months.
That is a rare exception to the rule. Most people put 12k - 15k per year on their vehicles and change oil twice in that period.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks Rick! Never knew this method. The dang reset process in the menu takes longer than the oil change itself.
That's an industry standard that works on the majority of north american built vehicles. Been that way for probably 30 years now,lol

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
6,000 miles is about 10,000Km's... that is the absolute furthest I'd go for an oil change regardless of oil quality.

I experiment with this myself as I use high end synthetic oils and am collecting data for me and for us all here on the Forum on extended OCI's, but I'd personally get your oil and filter changes at 5,000 mile intervals (using synthetic oil), and not exceed that.

This is just my personal opinion though, and you do what works best for you and your family.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
- Also, headers are NOT affected by oil changes.
The ones on my duster are

There is no way to remove the filter without spilling oil all over it

I couldn't even order my 2500 until January.

That is a rare exception to the rule. Most people put 12k - 15k per year on their vehicles and change oil twice in that period.
I bought my 08 charger in January of 09...with 80000 miles on it

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Not sure why the reset is so many steps on your vehicles. in the 2020 Grand Cherokee and 21 2500 Ram, all I have to do is go to the Oil life remaining screen, hit the right arrow button on the steering wheel and it resets.

Just came back from the range in the 2500 with the 6.4, it shows 63% oil life remaining and I have almost exactly 3,000 miles since the last oil change. I change this one at 5,000, just like the 5.7 in the Jeep.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There is no way a 2023 anything should have run down to 0% in this short of a time, unless you've driven round-trip across the US 2 or 3 times. I'm thinking it didn't get set to zero at the factory.
I think you have the year confused with 2024. Ram started building 2023 model year trucks back in August of 2022, the vehicle could be a year and a half old by now. Even still a 2024 could be 6 months old by now.
The oil life monitor takes into account for engine rpms, temperature, mileage, etc but nothing related to time/dates.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I think you have the year confused with 2024. Ram started building 2023 model year trucks back in August of 2022, the vehicle could be a year and a half old by now. Even still a 2024 could be 6 months old by now.
The oil life monitor takes into account for engine rpms, temperature, mileage, etc but nothing related to time/dates.
You are correct.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The ones on my duster are

There is no way to remove the filter without spilling oil all over it

I bought my 08 charger in January of 09...with 80000 miles on it
I'm not sure how that could be possible. Even if the vehicle was originally on the road in Sep 2007, that means it would have had to be driven 5000 miles per month for 16 months.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not sure how that could be possible. Even if the vehicle was originally on the road in Sep 2007, that means it would have had to be driven 5000 miles per month for 16 months.
From what I heard, it was a company car that belonged to a traveling technician

I'll see if I still have the paperwork (most likely not, that car got totalled 2,3 years ago) but if I have it, I'll double check my numbers

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
From what I heard, it was a company car that belonged to a traveling technician

I'll see if I still have the paperwork (most likely not, that car got totalled 2,3 years ago) but if I have it, I'll double check my numbers
Not necessary, I believe you. I just can't imagine being behind the wheel for that many hours month after month I mean, unless you're a long-haul driver.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not necessary, I believe you. I just can't imagine being behind the wheel for that many hours month after month I mean, unless you're a long-haul driver.
Yeah, but now you got me curious

You know how it goes when you tell a story over and over...fish tend to keep growing after you catch em

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, I checked my paperwork and I have nothing left from that car, so who knows how many miles it had when I got it

David James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So my daughter has this 2023 Grand waggoneer and is freaking out because here oil message says 0 percent .
I'm thinking that it's a ne way of saying when to change the oil..
Could some one talk me thru this so I have some clue for when I get home and I might know what I'm talking about .
Thanks
It means she needs to get that vehicle in for service ASAP and then, rather than being focused on % oil life remaining (it’s all algorithm not analysis based) getting on a regular routine schedule of every 5k for OCF with synthetic oil of OEM spec and a quality filter. By the way, if you run that Toyota to 10k on a regular basis, I direct you to their sludge issues of a few years back caused by extended oil changes. Grease is cheaper than steel.

Sur5er

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The oil percentage is just a different way of counting! 1% equals 100 miles on a 10,000 mile scale. Tale a look at the little mileage indicator in the oil window that shows mileage since last change. Want to change every 5K? Change at 50% oil life. Better to send out your oil to Blackstone for a true estimate of your oil quality. Also tells you when the cam and lifters could be getting ready to go **** up!

pscarbor

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2006, 2009
Engine
5.9, 5.7 Hemi, 5.7 Hemi
It means she needs to get that vehicle in for service ASAP and then, rather than being focused on % oil life remaining (it’s all algorithm not analysis based) getting on a regular routine schedule of every 5k for OCF with synthetic oil of OEM spec and a quality filter. By the way, if you run that Toyota to 10k on a regular basis, I direct you to their sludge issues of a few years back caused by extended oil changes. Grease is cheaper than steel.
Seriously, you expect a female to keep up with miles since oil change? I could replace all the gauges in my trucks with Christmas tree ornaments and it'd be a month before my wife even noticed...if then! :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517