"Your warranty is no good here"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Juvenator93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So it appears I am up the creek without a paddle, gents. I took my truck into my local Ram dealer yesterday for a clunking noise coming from my steering wheel and a hissing noise as well. Once they punched in my VIN they proceed to tell me that my Truck was made in Canada. (which I knew cause that's what the door says) What I didn't know is that it was made for the Canadian market and was imported to Oregon.

Once the truck was imported, the Warranty is null and void. So if I wanted to dealer to even look at my truck I'd need to pay $125 for each problem for them to diagnose it and then whatever they charge to fix it. Yeah, No. it's a 1 1/2 year old truck with less than 24k.

I purchased an extended warranty when I got the truck (REALLY glad I did now) but I still have a $200 deductible for using it. Not really wanting to pay $450 out of pocket to fix a NEW truck, I've been searching forums like a mad man trying to find people with similar problems.

My hissing noise seems to be a common problem with the teflon insert inside the top brake booster hose. From what I read on CumminsForum all that needs to be done is disconnect the hose, take out the insert and plug it back in. Sweet, that was easy.

My second issue also seems to be somewhat of a common issue. The likely culprit according to CumminsForum is my intermediate steering shaft. They advised to replace it with an aftermarket one, or others have removed it, greased it, and re-installed it.

Have any of you had these problems? Anyone know how difficult it's gonna be to try and remove the steering shaft? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I had no idea a Canadian market truck warranty was null and void in the US.

I'd engage with ChryslerCares regarding that.

OP
OP
Juvenator93

Juvenator93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What extended warranty did you purchase?

I purchased Nationwide. Lasts the term of my loan or 100k from the date of purchase. Just have to pay the diagnostics and my deductible.

OP
OP
Juvenator93

Juvenator93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had no idea a Canadian market truck warranty was null and void in the US.

I'd engage with ChryslerCares regarding that.

I didn't either. I called FCA Canada, FCA USA, told me there was nothing I could do. Called NationWide and they said they'll cover me, but certainly not free. I'm very mechanically inclined and want t try and fix it myself if I can do it for less than the $450 I'd have to pay going through the dealer and my warranty company

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had to replace an intermediate shaft in a 04 chevy for the same issue, cost about $60 for the shaft and an hours worth my time.

OP
OP
Juvenator93

Juvenator93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had to replace an intermediate shaft in a 04 chevy for the same issue, cost about $60 for the shaft and an hours worth my time.

I'm going to try and tighten everything and give a good greasing first. If not, might just buy an aftermarket one and put it in. It would cost the same as paying the dealer and my warranty company

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you paid the dealer and warranty company to fix it wouldn't they then be responsible for warrantying their work? Plus if you purchased the part from the dealer then Ram should make good on a warranty for the new parts. If so, I'd go that route instead of doing it yourself for the same price.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Juvenator93

Juvenator93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you paid the dealer and warranty company to fix it wouldn't they then be responsible for warrantying their work? Plus if you purchased the part from the dealer then Ram should make good on a warranty for the new parts. If so, I'd go that route instead of doing it yourself for the same price.

True, I can either replace it with an aftermarket unit with no warranty or another OEM unit with a warranty. I'm heading home now so I'll try and grease it and tighten it forst

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've heard the Canadian warranty thing before. It's buried in the fine print somewhere. Over the years with Ram and other brand message boards I've been on I've seen this come up. It sucks but I don't think there's anything to do about it.

OP
OP
Juvenator93

Juvenator93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've heard the Canadian warranty thing before. It's buried in the fine print somewhere. Over the years with Ram and other brand message boards I've been on I've seen this come up. It sucks but I don't think there's anything to do about it.

I called everywhere I could think of and was pretty much told "tough luck" by everyone unfortunately

OP
OP
Juvenator93

Juvenator93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I can't fix my hissing issue. Lines are not the same to my steering booster as in a Cummins. So the method I saw isn't an option. Strike one. And as far as the intermediate shaft, I greased it but still making the clunk. Strike two. Damn, just can't catch a break

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I wanna say it has been at least since 2002 that FCA no longer will warranty Canadian market trucks here in the states. They came down on this to discourage the third market re-importation of FCA vehicles when the Canadian/United States dollar exchange rate was favorable.

The big question for the OP is if he bought this used from a USA RAM dealership that did not disclose this?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Juvenator93

Juvenator93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wanna say it has been at least since 2012 that FCA no longer will warranty Canadian market trucks here in the states. They came down on this to discourage the third market re-importation of FCA vehicles when the Canadian dollar exchange rate was favorable.

The big question for the OP is if he bought this used from a USA RAM dealership that did not disclose this?

I purchased the vehicle at a VW/Volvo dealer. Told me they purchased the rig at an auction, and that it was a Canadian forestry truck its first 18k and 1yr of life before it was relieved of duty and brought to the states. Rig was sold "As-Is" but I did purchase an extended warranty. I was under the impression I still had a powertrain warranty. My 12 that I purchased in 14 was made in Mexico but I was able to use my powertrain warranty for some work that needed done. Figured it would work the same way. But I guess it's different if they are made there to sell here vs made there to be sold there

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It was likely made in Mexico or Michigan. I don't believe we have a Ram production plant up here. The difference between the two? The display is metric and the paperwork says Canada spec. I think Hootbro is right. They want to discourage cross border shopping if it's not in their favour.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I guess I am curious about if a guy from Canada was taking a road trip through the U.S. With his Canadian Ram truck and experienced a breakdown, would they warranty the repair?

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I guess I am curious about if a guy from Canada was taking a road trip through the U.S. With his Canadian Ram truck and experienced a breakdown, would they warranty the repair?

As the original owner he still has the warranty in the US or where ever else he is.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990