Mjmck's 2016 ram big horn build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjmck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Good Morning All,

Finally starting the documentation of my build up. Previously drove a 09 F250 lifted on 35's with a gutless 5.4L Triton. Was a cool ride for sure, but it cost me about 5 gallons a day just back and forth to the office. Originally was looking into an Ecoboost, but was scared of finding the unicorn that gets good MPG.

Pic of F250:
IMG_1345_zpsjltknjny.jpg

Then I found this website, and fell in love with the ED. So I struck a deal on a Big Horn! Picked it up yesterday. Pup had to come!

20160523_152710_zpsftcl9gzi.jpg

IMG_2157_zpsbk5zwl55.jpg

IMG_2158_zps0b3zqbnd.jpg

The truck did not have a bedliner in it, so i got them to throw it in to make the deal. I will have to go back in a week or so to install. Also want to get tow hooks for the front and running boards.

IMG_2479_zpshbtzbzng.jpg

IMG_2469_zpscvimbbti.jpg

IMG_2477_zps7kxxtnd3.jpg

IMG_2476_zpssww9wamt.jpg

OP
OP
M

mjmck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Well I'm about 1/2 way through my first tank of Diesel. Truck had around 100 miles on it when I purchased it. Was averaging about 25.5 according to the EVIC, however i think the truck may have been in a regen the other day. Another factor for the drop could have been me driving rather quickly to a late appointment. So it dropped down to 24.4, today on the way to work it climbed .4 I really need to get my scan gauge hooked up.

IMG_2488_zpss8akojyt.jpg

Well Friday evening I installed my old tool box as we were heading to camp with pup this weekend. So I figured the extra dry space would help (was going to wait to install until the bed liner came in). The tool box definitely needs a polish, been on way to many trucks to count now.

Before we left for Belfort, NY we stopped at the local Delta Sonic fuel station. I topped the tank off from just less than 1/2 and it took 14.383 gallons for a total of $32.20. ($2.23/GAL). Unfortunately I forgot to hit the trip odometer so I can't get a good hand calculated MPG number.

IMG_2490_zpsdyxbkzjf.jpg

IMG_2491_zps6x1nl8c8.jpg

IMG_2493_zps8apoceuk.jpg

One more picture of the pup waiting to go home from the weekend trip as we pack up.

IMG_2503_zpseqhmqgas.jpg

On the way up to camp I averaged 25 MPG according to the EVIC, on the way back I broke 26 MPG.

OP
OP
M

mjmck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Well got the truck washed today. Signed up for the unlimited monthly wash at Delta Sonic for $30 a month. Also filled up the truck with fuel from about 2/3's. Finally got my first hand-calculated tank! I'm very impressed. I drove 315.2 miles on 11.256 gallons, comes up to 28 MPG!

IMG_2508_zpsh4k7kx1w.jpg

Packaged up my ScanGauge II for updating. I am honestly a bit puzzled as its only 6 months old at most and came with 4.13 software. Apparently you need 4.22 to run most of the EcoDiesel X-Codes.

But anywho I paid the $25 for updating. Guess it will take about 2-3 weeks. I am also going to try and see if they will pre-program the X-Codes for a 2015 EcoDiesel (Mine is a 2016, but i was worried they would say it doesn't work when i know it does). Not sure if they will do this part, but hey worth a try!

IMG_2510_zpskkku7a64.jpg

We made it to the dealer this past Saturday. Trail FX plastic bed liner installed. It unfortunately doesnt have the cut-outs for the OEM LED lighting, so I will need to cut holes in it. Of course it rained all day yesterday therefore couldn't get it done.

The tool box sits very tight resting on the plastic liner at the front of the wheel wells. It does still sit flush with the bed rails.

IMG_2515_zpsfs3lyrjm.jpg

This is where I need to do some cutting to get the LED light to come through. Currently the liner doesn't fit quite right.

IMG_2516_zpsjevouqwt.jpg

Fresh wash today. Going to be a miserable rainy cold week.

IMG_2518_zpswjdo8gg9.jpg

Been thinking about removing some of the badging on the front doors. Might remove the 1500, and leave the RAM. Might even remove it all and leave the EcoDiesel. Not sure yet, I really don't like everything clustered right there.

Granite-1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Some nice looking trucks right there! (and of course the dog) Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new truck! :favorites13:

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
the black forest green looks really good! you also have the cab/bed configuration I wish I had lol

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Looks good!!

OP
OP
M

mjmck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
the black forest green looks really good! you also have the cab/bed configuration I wish I had lol

Thanks.

I vowed to never have another black vehicle again (currently have a black 89' Mustang). They are so hard to keep clean (at least to my standards). Luckily i have an unlimited monthly wash plan that helps.

Truck has just over 3,000 miles now. Had one little hiccup and it went to the dealer for a PCM flash. We will see if it cures the issue. Still trying to get my hands on the front set of Mud Flaps from the dealer...

To date average is still right about 25 MPG mixed (Last 1K miles was 24.83 MPG). Impressed and happy I made the switch so far.

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
Thanks.

I vowed to never have another black vehicle again (currently have a black 89' Mustang). They are so hard to keep clean (at least to my standards). Luckily i have an unlimited monthly wash plan that helps.

Truck has just over 3,000 miles now. Had one little hiccup and it went to the dealer for a PCM flash. We will see if it cures the issue. Still trying to get my hands on the front set of Mud Flaps from the dealer...

To date average is still right about 25 MPG mixed (Last 1K miles was 24.83 MPG). Impressed and happy I made the switch so far.

That's some good MPG numbers! Glad you are liking it so much

OP
OP
M

mjmck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Some data a few days ago while driving:
IMG_2840_zpsszoyoawa.jpg
This picture was taken about 1 minute after i parked the truck. Still running obviously and my SG II was registering as still performing a regen. About 2 minutes later it turned to OFF and the % dropped to 21. (Partial passive regen). I have noticed the % gores up real quick with lots of little trips (key on, key off). Seems best to let the truck idle if your running into quick shops.

IMG_2869_zpsy5lsmieu.jpg
This was cruise set down the road at 73 MPH driving home from the job site in Erie, PA. I'm doing well on DEF usage, just below 3/4 and i have almost 4,300 miles on it. I have not towed a single thing in this time. I'm sure they "overfilled" the DEF as to me it seems like i should be almost to 1/2 according to others, but maybe the absence of towing has helped?
Stuck on the 11 degree difference plus on the EOT and Coolant temps. Seems like a large delta to me.

OP
OP
M

mjmck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Did a modification on the RAM this past weekend. I wash my truck through the auto wash very frequently due to salt. So every time I have to get out first and fold in the mirrors and remove my antenna. The mirrors are easy, but the antenna is a pain. Problem solved. The reception did go down and it sucks as I'm in the sticks. However I listen to SiriusXM most of the time.

IMG_4212_zpscvhindzx.jpg

Also am looking for some cheap running boards. (Pregnant wife says its tough getting in and out). So there may be a purchase shortly.